The return of COSMOS with Neil DeGrasse Tyson

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 mark379

mark379

Messenger

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:40 AM

So, Tyson is set to bring Sagan's COSMOS back to life! :)
Thoughts?
Have a read & see the trailer:

http://www.wired.com...degrasse-tyson/

#2 mark379

mark379

Messenger

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:42 AM

I think this might be a way to inspire the next generation, and a great outreach tool.

So, Tyson is set to bring Sagan's COSMOS back to life! :)
Thoughts?
Have a read & see the trailer:

http://www.wired.com...degrasse-tyson/

#3 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:15 AM

The pic looked like it came out of a David Copperfield promo. While I expect pretty pics of nebulas, planets, galaxies, etc...Seems to me they're going for the quick visual, and the rest will be pablum.......so sad, Carl's probably creating his own gravity well right now.....

We shall see, but given today's media, I don't hold out much hope.

#4 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:38 PM

I am not really a fan of his. He makes most of his money giving speeches and he only "acts" like a nice guy with a good sense of humor. As soon as he is off camera the real NDT comes out and it isn't pretty. Will I watch it? Maybe.. I dunno yet. I'll consider it.

#5 BPO

BPO

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: South Island, NZ

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:06 PM

He makes most of his money giving speeches and he only "acts" like a nice guy with a good sense of humor. As soon as he is off camera the real NDT comes out and it isn't pretty.

Why do these CN discussions about the new Cosmos series always leave me feeling ashamed and disappointed?

:(

#6 Noisykids

Noisykids

Viking 1

• Loc: ma

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:33 AM

throw away the crystal ball, we don't know what this series will be like, live and let live, change the channel, visit another forum, there's a lot of ways not to get sucked into this ridiculousness.

#7 guangtou

guangtou

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:27 AM

As soon as he is off camera the real NDT comes out and it isn't pretty.

I will repeat what I posted at the beginning of this discussion:
http://www.cloudynig...5799447/page...

When I met Dr. Tyson he was very approachable and remained at a reception after his talk to answer every single question posed to him with patience and genuine enthusiasm. I am looking forward to the show!

#8 Doug Reilly

Doug Reilly

Viking 1

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:53 PM

If it boosts the signal of science among the noise of our oversaturated culture, then it is good.

#9 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:48 PM

That trailer stunk to high heaven. Very poorly done. I hope the actual series is nothing like the trailer.

#10 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:46 PM

Try borrowing the original from the library and watching it. I did this thinking my little kids would love it as I had fond memories of the original.

I had forgotten how much time he spent going on about the wonders we could achieve if we weren't building nuclear weapons. And wow does it dragon slowly. And to top it off, here we are not churning out nukes so we got the wonders; a smartphone in every pocket, an economic bubble popping every 5 years, the end of the American dream, and half the population clinically obese.

So, the original is painfully unwatchable at this point. Let's hope this is better.

-Rich

#11 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:19 AM

"And to top it off, here we are not churning out nukes".....uh, guess again........

#12 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:54 PM

We're paring down.

-Rich

#13 CollinofAlabama

CollinofAlabama

Vanguard

• Loc: Lubbock, Texas, USA

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:58 PM

I, too, will be cautiously optimistic. Niel DeGrasse Tyson is a very nice TV personality, and I've LOVED the things he's done on NOVA and PBS. We can only hope it's the meat of the plot of Terminator without the over reliance on special effects that was Terminator II (a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing). The Trailer doesn't make the series, and besides, to catch the imagination of youngsters, it'd better have some inspiring special effects. This needs to be a hit. I will be concerned if it's FX and easy on the science, but the series is innocent until proven guilty as far as I'm concerned. I don't personally know NDT, and no doubt there were people who'd met Sagan who didn't like him, either, but so what? Let's hope for the best and support the effort. If it's more Fox than PBS and has all the science of a Paul Broun church fund-raiser, well, then we should denounce it, but at this time, in my best Dana Carvey HW imitation, "stay the course, wouldn't be prudent."

#14 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:19 PM

That's a really good point. Cosmos in the 70s brought geeky techie and/or hippy parents and their nerdlet children (me!) together to hear the preaching about the horrors of nuclear arms, the history of astronomy and the state of the universe as the technology of the day allowed it to be understood. That audience didn't have anything to distract it from the content. Today, though, it's a totally different audience. Everybody is surfing, texting, video gaming, etc., and attention spans are shorter. They have to make it attractive to the new breed of viewer. Aging geeks will watch it anyway. But to get the kinds of numbers a network show needs to grab, they need bling, special effects, showmanship and a poppin' soundtrack. Dear 'ol Vangelis won't cut it this trip.

- Jim

#15 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:25 AM

They need the truth and facts; let them make their own decisions, based on truth and facts. That's been part of the problem, instead of giving us the raw data and letting us decide, we are told what to think far, far too often on this little blue speck of dust. If you are not free to think for yourself, you are not free.....But, I'm not real familiar with Mr. Degrasse, and Carl's widow is involved, so here's hoping Fox does the right thing for a change. (The right right thing, not the Right thing.)

#16 Zamboni

Zamboni

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado Springs

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:49 AM

NDT is a VERY staunch advocate for teaching the process of science, not just the facts and figures, in very much the same way Carl Sagan was. Also, let's not forget that Stephen Soter (the director of the original Cosmos) is directing this one too. I'm surprised that people tend to be ignoring that fact and focusing instead on the host...

#17 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:07 AM

It's not the host that worries me, it's Fox Network doing what Fox does worst.......

#18 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:47 PM

Try borrowing the original from the library and watching it. I did this thinking my little kids would love it as I had fond memories of the original.

I had forgotten how much time he spent going on about the wonders we could achieve if we weren't building nuclear weapons. And wow does it dragon slowly. And to top it off, here we are not churning out nukes so we got the wonders; a smartphone in every pocket, an economic bubble popping every 5 years, the end of the American dream, and half the population clinically obese.

So, the original is painfully unwatchable at this point. Let's hope this is better.

-Rich

Sorry, couldn't disagree more. I've revisited the original on Netflix all month, and will be purchasing the original soon. I find all other science shows thin, and uniforming by comparison. I still believe Cosmos to be the greatest thing ever broadcast on TV. No it wouldn't appeal to younger people, just as Halo games, and fast cut videos don't appeal to me.

As for the new show:

The greatest thing about the new show is the people involved. I can't believe Ann would allow anything that would soil the memory of the Original. She wasn't just Carl's wife she was a creator of the show.

The negatives:

No Carl. This is no ones fault. It's just hard to replace the irreplaceable no matter how good you are.

Commercials! :crazy: I saw the Cosmos rebroadcast with commercials and it just ruined it. That show was able to suck you in like a great epic movie, but the dang commercials just slam the brakes on!

I WILL be watching the new show, and will be hopeful that it will be great knowing that they will be aiming for a demographic that I'm no longer a part of. I will have to endure the fast talk, and choppy glossy cuts.

BUT, I will give it a shot with great hopefulness! ;)

#19 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

• Loc: Davison, Michigan

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:58 AM

I just hope they also broadcast it over the net. I abandoned TV ages ago.

#20 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:44 AM

I just hope they also broadcast it over the net. I abandoned TV ages ago.

As I grow older, I'm finding TV not as entertaining as it once was....While the TV is on in the background a lot (and sometimes its just on a music "Channel"), I find I prefer the "me" time a lot more without TV......

#21 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Great Basin

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:00 AM

I started watching the original series on DVD recently, will be watching episode 3 this weekend. It's been at least ten years since I've seen it, I gave my old VHS set to a friend back then.

It is still a fascinating series, and holds up quite well. Sagan's explanations aren't dependant on special effects, and the historical sequences employ some very good actors and sets, and are well-directed.

I will be very curious to see if the new series is even in the same league with the original.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics