Classic Telescopes / NEAF 2014

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#1 turk123

turk123

Vanguard

• Loc: N.E. Ohio

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:36 PM

It is with great pleasure that I can announce that Classic telescopes will have a booth at the 2014 NEAF telescope show in Suffern New York this year. I have contacted the Rockland Astronomy club and they have welcomed us to participation in their show next year. They are working on the location and have told me they would like to put us in a more prominent location than what we had two years ago. I have the feeling they are very happy we are coming back to their show.

Jon Miles will be assisting me in the details and show preparation, and I know many of you will also be helping. We need to choose a list of representative scopes, prepare some graphic banners, and make sure the booth is manned over the two days. I know many of you will participate. Not to step on anyone’s toes, we did try to contact Preston, he must not frequent this site as much, but after several months, we are going ahead with it.

Jon and I have started early in order for our members to have enough time to organize their vacations to be able to come to the show. We have lots to do and lots of organizing ahead of us.

There is a lot to be done and plenty of time to do it. Jon will be organizing the telescope list with names of those who can attend and bring their gems. I will be coordinating our booth and location at the show with RAC organizers and will be putting together the graphics, banners and materials we will need for the show. Internet will be available and my 27” IMac screen can provide visuals for slideshows that you can provide for the show. I will also be helping Jon with the details.

We need your ideas. What else can we provide visitors that come to our booth? How can we promote the classic scopes and why they are important to us?

We also would like to organize a Saturday evening trip to the local brewery or other dinner venue, so we can cool down together after the first night of the show (Saturday).

If you cannot or are not ask to bring a scope that does not mean that you cannot participate in the show. We welcome your input. We welcome your ideas. We welcome you to come also. We can always use the manpower. The previous Classic show had only 7-10 participants. It would be wonderful if we could get more of you to come. I want this to be a fun experience for all. I do not want to burden those participating with no free time to see the show. We need bodies in the booth (boy that sounds weird!) and help setting up and tearing down. We need people to put in a few hours during the show, that’s all. Please plan on coming and get to know fellow members in a real life setting.

This is the beginning of a thread that I’m sure, will run for a long time. Chime in with your comments and ideas. Jon and I would love to hear from all of you. Let’s make this a community event that all can participate in.

A few details:

To date I have secured the space. I have read up on the previous NEAF thread and I am going to draw from the model Preston put together for the last event (His model is in the NEAF thread from 2 years ago). It seemed to work well especially since we have much more time to plan than the last show. We will have a floor plan, and a list of telescope models representing what all of you out there believe are significant pieces of history. We cannot take all of your telescopes to the show so please bear with Jon and myself when we reach the point of selection. There will be fees and costs associated with the show. I had originally planned to pay for the two spaces myself. Now that Ed and the RAC have stepped up, I can pick up most of the other costs without any additional donations. I have looked into the insurance to cover trade show activities and we will be purchasing it. Also, everyone’s homeowner’s policy should cover any scopes brought to the show. Please check your policy, as our tradeshow insurance may not cover your telescope completely (primarily if someone gets hurt and sues Jon or myself as organizers).

Currently I am trying to contact Mike with Cloudy Nights to see about using their name and logo as the representative community forum for our booth. We live on the CN site. I think it appropriate that we can state it. Stay tuned. This involves the legal stuff.

As most of you know, Jon Miles participated last show and has the experience and the knowledge to make wise telescope choices for the show. He also knows what worked and what didn’t. I’m leaning on him! Help him all you can. Be nice.

I’ve participated in both going to the NEAF show and the imaging show for the last 4 years. I have made a few contacts and can draw on them for help. I will be booking the Crown plaza hotel and staying there for 5 days leaving on Monday. If you are making arrangements to drop off a scope or pick up after, that will give everyone plenty of time to get their scope back. What ever is not picked up is mine. : )

So that’s about it for now. It will be a pleasure for Jon and I to help you guys make this show happen. Please make your plans now to attend.

Thanks so much.

Turk

#2 dgreyson

dgreyson

Viking 1

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:32 PM

awesome!

#3 terraclarke

terraclarke

Aurora

• Loc: The Bluegrass State

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:19 PM

Gonna try hard to do it this time.

#4 mustgobigger

mustgobigger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:12 PM

me to....great to see it happen again. :bow:

#5 pbealo

pbealo

Viking 1

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:44 PM

I'd suggest CNCT group be near or next to Antique Telescope Soc. We have common interests and it makes MY life easier!

I found a great bagel place last year so can help with breakfast!

I am looking forward to it again. We had a ball 2 years ago. and while I enjoyed ATS exhibit this year, it wasn't the same.

Peter B.

#6 PiSigma

PiSigma

Surveyor 1

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

This is going to be a lot of fun. We had a great time putting on the show in 2012 and I missed not doing it last year. Tom and I decided we needed to get this going again.

To start I would ask that anyone who would like to exhibit a classic scope to please contact me via PM with your email address, phone number and what classics you have that you would like to exhibit. We had a really great representation of different types and periods at the 2012 show and I would like to achieve a similar balance for 2014. Once the list settles out over the next couple of weeks we'll go over who has what and decide on what to go with given the space available. If I don't acknowledge your message right away don't panic, I'm on a death march at work right now but should be more available in a few weeks.

And of course any CN members who can at least attend the show would be great too. It was a lot of fun at the 2012 show meeting a number of the folks who participate here.

#7 turk123

turk123

Vanguard

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:44 PM

This is going to be a lot of fun. We had a great time putting on the show in 2012 and I missed not doing it last year. Tom and I decided we needed to get this going again.

To start I would ask that anyone who would like to exhibit a classic scope to please contact me via PM with your email address, phone number and what classics you have that you would like to exhibit. We had a really great representation of different types and periods at the 2012 show and I would like to achieve a similar balance for 2014. Once the list settles out over the next couple of weeks we'll go over who has what and decide on what to go with given the space available. If I don't acknowledge your message right away don't panic, I'm on a death march at work right now but should be more available in a few weeks.

And of course any CN members who can at least attend the show would be great too. It was a lot of fun at the 2012 show meeting a number of the folks who participate here.

I might add, post your picture here for all to view. Just leave off all the private information you're sending to Jon.

#8 Larry Geary

Larry Geary

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:13 PM

Turk,

You can count me in. I live an hour's drive from NEAF so I can help with whatever you need. PM me for my email.

One suggestion I have is that we create a set of video interviews with both the owners of the scopes being displayed and with members of this forum, whether they attend or not. They can show off their classic scope or eyepiece collections at home and talk about their passion for classics. Five to ten minutes is long enough. I'm trying to learn video interviewing and editing, so I can assist with this idea if you like it. I think it would draw more people than a slide show.

#9 turk123

turk123

Vanguard

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:01 PM

Hi Larry

I like the idea. Can this be done over the Internet though?

#10 Larry Geary

Larry Geary

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:44 PM

It could be, yes. But anyone with a smart phone or recent point-and-shoot camera can take a video of themselves, or let a friend interview them. We could come up with suggested questions. Then it's just a matter of making the video available to someone who can edit it. The idea needs some work, but I think it could be neat.

#11 turk123

turk123

Vanguard

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:50 PM

You are the man on this one. See what you can do. I can be a Guinea pig for you. I even have a decent camera and a decent microphone.

#12 highertheflyer

highertheflyer

Viking 1

• Loc: Aledo, Texas

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

Hello Turk and thank you for taking over this task.
I haven't heard from Preston in well over a year and hope he is fine.
Two years ago I was planning to bring a Unitron 510 for display at NEAF. Preston had scoped out the footprint for the area needed and was to be one of the highlights of the classic display.
Yet as time neared, I was faced with a means for delivery. Even considered removing the forward passengers seat on this full size SUV and at 20MPG, a transport in an air conditioned and shock absorbed environment.
I've thought of the alternatives, and oh yes for many here on CN's suggestions, a ways and means.
So here were just a few of the suggestions:
To package and ship via UPS, FedEx, train, the belly-of-the bus transport, or pulling a van, etc... Yet none to me were safe, secure and practical.
But for me, I have found a way of bringing a long tube case in the comfort of an automobile with a minimal expense, and thought I would share this method with others caught in the same situation as I, two years ago.
The OTA case is 7'6" long and thus limits the transport in an air conditioned environment.
Bus lines and commercial vehicles are no way to move a delicate instrument and I shudder to think of the abuse and the temperature changes from here to there. Just as a for instance, imagine a classic scope moving through Phoenix in August towards the west coast?
So here might be a consideration for those interested in transporting a delicate instrument across country.
Rent a two week automobile from either a national rental agency, or a local dealership with unlimited mileage.
Ensure that the mid size car has a trunk with a door, opening into the passenger compartment. With folded rear seats and a right passenger seat tracking to the passengers dashboard, a long span of conditioned air to contain the scope and moved at 30MPG!
As an example and figuring 1,700 miles from Texas to New York, a car getting 30 miles to the gallon, unlimited mileage, and two weeks rental; less than 1,000 dollars.
Neat huh?
Jim

#13 turk123

turk123

Vanguard

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:53 PM

Sooooo . . . that would get it here. Will it get it here? :scratchhead:

#14 highertheflyer

highertheflyer

Viking 1

• Loc: Aledo, Texas

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:09 PM

Hi Turk.
The purpose of the addition to your NEAF posting is to show others how they may move a classical telescope to the 2014 NEAF and return safely home in an environment friendly method.
So far, the Unitron 510 is destined for the left coast within the next two months and hope I may keep you informed to perhaps its new position, or deliver to NEAF 2014?
But for things changing with rare instruments transport, I'm merely wishing to encourage others delivering to NEAF, or others moving a rare instrument, a safe method within the same situation as I, but two years ago to NEAF 2012.
This applies for today and the coming years too.
So if others are faced with the transfer of a rare instrument, a means to safely deliver, coast to coast?
My two cents,
jim

#15 Larry Geary

Larry Geary

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

The OTA case is 7'6" long and thus limits the transport in an air conditioned environment.

I've never seen a hearse for sale. Seems like an ideal transport for long refractors. And it can do double duty for those of us getting on in years. :gramps:

#16 turk123

turk123

Vanguard

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:47 PM

We are still looking for people to step up and submit classic telescopes that could be part of the NEAF show 2014. Contact Jon miles through a PM if you have a scope to bring and want to participate. If you've never been to NEAF you owe it to yourself to go. It really is worth the experience. The largest telescope show in the US. Be part of the fun. We need your help.

That said we have already a selection of individuals that have committed. So far about 12-14 scopes. We can always use more. In fact we need more! Plan on coming to the show. Contact Jon.

#17 turk123

turk123

Vanguard

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:51 AM

I contacted Mike Bieler owner of Cloudy Nights and he will allow us to use the Cloudy Night's logo in the booth. I contacted him for his permission and comments about the association we would have with his company.

So it is official, although we are not being sponsored by CN, we can show our connection to them. It will probably be a 2' x 2' banner somewhere on the back wall. We will have our own 95" x 30" banner centered on the back wall. We will also have a banner for the front table. What will be on it? I'm up for suggestions. I can have both banners made for about $120 in full color and what ever image, graphics, and lettering we want. Any creative types out there want to do a little designing? I can give you some specs to start with for the large banner. Forward your questions Ideas to my email "turk@ (that cave place below).

This is done through Vistaprint.

Attached Files

#18 Larry Geary

Larry Geary

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:07 AM

We have had a thread about Modern Classics. Does Astronomics sell any scopes that we would consider Modern Classics, or the modern interpretation of the best old scopes? If so, maybe we could have a few on display on one side of the booth, with info on where to buy them: Astronomics.

#19 turk123

turk123

Vanguard

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:25 AM

If you go to the Vistaprint site you will be able to use their software to do all of the designing. Just choose Extra large banner. Have your images available and have at it. Here is an example of what can be done. Text has not been determined yet so do what ever you like for now. Make sure you use the "advanced" button to get to all the fonts and adjustments. :gotpopcorn: :refractor:

Attached Files

#20 PiSigma

PiSigma

Surveyor 1

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:19 PM

95' x 30' banner? That's pretty big! :shocked:

#21 turk123

turk123

Vanguard

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:04 PM

95' x 30' banner? That's pretty big! :shocked:

We want to be seen . . . from Mars! I'll fix it.

#22 terraclarke

terraclarke

Aurora

• Loc: The Bluegrass State

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:53 PM

Cool banner Tom. I love the 60s psychedelic type face for Classic Telescopes. :waytogo: :flower:

#23 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:28 PM

I can print the banner for nada.

I have a 42" wide hp 800ps printer.

if you go to shutterstock.com you can pick any pics for the background I can down load it to work on.

I like classic scopes. :grin:

#24 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

• Loc: Eureka, Pa

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:35 AM

Hi Tom!

This is WONDERFUL NEWS! Congratulations to you and Jon on bringing this to fruition!

I have been away from the forum due to work and and some things at home including senior care issues with my mother. Nothing too serious just very time consuming.

It's great that you have been able to get things started so early. My job (I'm in the military) doesn't allow me to plan out that far. That's why you saw me spinning things up so close to to NEAF two years ago. When I do attend NEAF, I am always on the Stellarvue Team so it's great to hear that others will be able to focus their full attention on the Classic scopes.

I will offer up my Unitron Model 160 to bring to NEAF. It looks like I will be able to attend but it's always iffy for me until about 120 days from the event. I have some other scopes if you need to fill some holes at the last moment.

#25 turk123

turk123

Vanguard

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:16 PM

Hi Preston

Great to hear from you! I'm sure there is always room for your handy work at the show! I would love to talk with you about the event and the many question I have. Please pm me with your phone number so we can talk. I'd love to tap your experience with how the inner workings of the show works and the setup times and such. I can use your experience! You did a great job two years ago.

Turk

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics