Apps best suited for outreach....

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TechPan6415

TechPan6415

Mariner 2

• Loc: Aspen, Co

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:23 PM

I am finding I want to do more outreach and love the idea of being able to explain things like light years and other contextual facts to the layman while in the field. I think it would be great to have an app for my iPad that helped to show through fun examples these types of things.

Right now I have "Star Walk" on my phone and iPad which is great but in terms of what I could use to better illustrate context in the cosmos, what else is out there?

#2 AstroTatDad

AstroTatDad

Apollo

• Loc: Los Angeles - San Diego

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:18 AM

If you don't mind paying check out Sky Safari, I have the pro version and its great. I think it will be perfect for you, great idea I usually leave my iPad at home when I goto star party's/out reach. I'm going to start taking it now, I get asked a lot of questions that sometimes I don't know. Sky Safari you can search, click on any object and will give you photos and information.
http://www.southernstars.com/ they just had a sale but it end, now the Pro version is back at $34 which is still a great deal IMO.

#3 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:42 AM

A fun app for beginners, especially those with little knowledge of the sky is "StarChart". You just hold your tablet (Mines the Samsung Galaxy Tab2, so I'm assuming an Android OS) up to the sky and it will show you a "map/picture" of the sky and identify whats there (even has some nice graphic watermarks of what the constellations are (i.e a picture overlay's of the people/objects/mythological creatures they represent). Tap on an identified object on the screen, and it will open a little window giving you some data on the object. Not a bad program. What's not much useable, but kind of neat, is it will work day or night...the stars are still there in the daytime......

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics