• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Detroit MI, and Phoenix AZ

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:12 PM

I am just starting to get accessories for my Skyview Pro 8 telescope. I am looking for a good recommendation on an EP case that will hold both 2 and 1.25 inch EP's as well as other stuff like filters and misc. I cant seem to find any really good recommendations searching the forums. I plan to add some ES 82 EP's once they get them back in stock. Thanks.

#2 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

Pelican or the Pelican Storm cases are the top of the line. Harbor Freight has some cases, but the pluck foam would need replaced...

#3 dpippel

dpippel

Apollo

• Loc: Desierto de Sonora

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:27 PM

I've been mostly happy with two of these:

http://www.amazon.co...0_i00?ie=UTF...

They're pretty sturdy, the pluck foam is decent, and the price is nice. :)

#4 StrangeDejavu

StrangeDejavu

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

I've been using a Stanley Bostitch tool box for a few months now. It was on sale at Home Depot for $14.99, and I couldn't pass it up.

Posted Image
Posted Image

For $14.99, I don't have a single complaint. It's crushproof, has a water-tight seal and has rock solid rust-proof latches. However, i'll be upgrading to a Pelican 1600 within the next few weeks/months. This case is great, I just can't deal with bolt cases much longer. :lol:

#5 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:23 PM

Wear shoes when viewing, you wouldn't want to drop it on your toe!! :lol:

#6 StrangeDejavu

StrangeDejavu

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:38 PM

Wear shoes when viewing, you wouldn't want to drop it on your toe!! :lol:

Shoes are overrated. :lol:

#7 astrophile

astrophile

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Chaise-lounge, 18x50s in hand...

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:05 PM

I've been very happy with my Orion large accessory case w/pluck foam. Holds several large eps, small ones, and a few other items. I don't like the die-cut foam interiors, the 1.25" holes are useless for anything wider than a Plossl. Save the foam you pluck as you'll invariably need to reconfigure a bit down the road.

There are cheaper pluck-foam alternatives; see http://www.cloudynig...hp?item_id=2137

#8 Agatha

Agatha

Apollo

• Loc: Coulee Region, Wisconsin

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:23 AM

Art,

Check out this thread. Link

Best,

#9 FJA

FJA

Sketcher Extraordinaire

• Loc: 50.65° N, 1.15° W

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:50 AM

I use an aluminium photographers' case with cut-out foam insert, which you can cut holes in to accommodate your eyepieces. The foam can easily be replaced at any shop which sells dress-making materials.

#10 CharlesW

CharlesW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

The Husky Technician's case at Home Depot looks very nice. That's probably the one I'll get when I upgrade my eyepieces.

#11 Lance1234

Lance1234

Ranger 4

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:43 PM

I'm a little late to the party but this is the one I am using: http://www.cheaperth...roduct/CASE-046
It is very similar to a Pelican 1520 but at $40, way less expensive.

#12 JLovell

JLovell

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:16 PM

I've been mostly happy with two of these:

http://www.amazon.co...0_i00?ie=UTF...

They're pretty sturdy, the pluck foam is decent, and the price is nice. :)

I've got a Vanguard branded case very similar to this that seems very good, and was a similar price. If you want decent and cheap, look at the Plano 4 pistol case. I got one at Walmart for $12. Amazon has it for $22: http://www.amazon.co...PKK/ref=sr_1...

#13 sealcove

sealcove

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mount Desert Island, Maine

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:20 PM

I was just looking for a basic case for my new guy stash of accessories, and realized that I had a pretty good option sitting in the closet. I have a leather aviation chart case with locks, and to go along with it some old padded cases for headsets and radios that fit my telrad, RA finder & collimation tools perfectly. That leaves a nice space for eyepieces (in bullet cases) and odds and ends. This probably will not be suitable once my collection of stuff grows, but it is a great use for this old case for the moment. It has seen plenty of rain and snow, so a little dew wont hurt it. Given that it is black, I suppose that a little reflective tape is in order.

Posted Image

#14 ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:54 PM

The irony of a Jepp chart case made me laugh. I am an airline pilot, and if I never had to carry another chart case it would be to soon. I like the idea of the pistol case, but I hate cutting foam. I always seem to do a hack job of it.

#15 Paco_Grande

Paco_Grande

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Banana Republic of California

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:54 PM

Hard to beat for $28 from Harbor Freight.

Attached Files

#16 sealcove

sealcove

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mount Desert Island, Maine

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:53 AM

The irony of a Jepp chart case made me laugh. I am an airline pilot, and if I never had to carry another chart case it would be to soon.

:) I can imagine that would get old. Do you guys still have to carry paper backups, or are you 100% digital now?

I only instructed and did a little commercial flying in bug smashers. The case was a freebie from corporate jet guy thinning out his gear at the FBO one day and it was still too nice to toss. Maybe not ideal for astronomy, but it will work for a while.

#17 izar187

izar187

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: 43N

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:26 AM

I am just starting to get accessories for my Skyview Pro 8 telescope. I am looking for a good recommendation on an EP case that will hold both 2 and 1.25 inch EP's as well as other stuff like filters and misc. I cant seem to find any really good recommendations searching the forums. I plan to add some ES 82 EP's once they get them back in stock. Thanks.

If the ep's are in individual bolt cases or bottles, then second hand stores have lots of inexpensive option to choose from.
Just nest things in the most suitable order. Upgrade in size or shape as needed.

#18 ensign

ensign

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southwestern Ontario

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:58 AM

Of late, I've been using a camera case that I got on sale. It has movable velcro dividers. I am able to store 6 EPs, a diagonal, a telrad, filters and other accessories in it.

It is compact and quite usable.

#19 ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:23 PM

The irony of a Jepp chart case made me laugh. I am an airline pilot, and if I never had to carry another chart case it would be to soon.

:) I can imagine that would get old. Do you guys still have to carry paper backups, or are you 100% digital now?

I only instructed and did a little commercial flying in bug smashers. The case was a freebie from corporate jet guy thinning out his gear at the FBO one day and it was still too nice to toss. Maybe not ideal for astronomy, but it will work for a while.

We are 90% digital. All of our required company manuals and aircraft manuals are on Electronic Flight Bags. We carry 2 of them in the flight deck. Unfortunately all of our Jepp's are still in paper that we carry individually. So we get the fun of revisions every two weeks still. Personally I do not like the EFB's. They are old technology before multi-touch and utilize a separate keyboard for data entry. Essentially if I need to find something in the manual, it takes me about 5 times longer than flipping through a paper book would take.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics