• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:55 PM

Samsung SNB-2000. 12VDC or 24AC, Ethernet port, 485 protocol for alarm and (optional) pan and tilt control. Free "IPOLIS" app that permits viewing on your Apple or Android device.

This is a 1/3 inch chip camera that you access via your wired network. There is no need to run an IR light, and with a sense up setting of 4 your telescope or dome position can be monitored, as well as check for cloud cover.
Camera setup over the internet. The low cost lens I use does not remote focus or Zoom. I have found these EDIT> Cameras <EDIT on Ebay (Refurbished) for $90 USD delivered.

Installation took a few minutes and was fairly easy. If you can set up your telescope for remote access, this camera is a breeze. The included documentation was easy to follow and well translated into English.

I bring this up as some of you have remote setups and need/want a way to tell here your scope is pointed, or determine if it's cloudy. You don't want any IR illumination as this interferes with your camera.

#2 LoveChina61

LoveChina61

Viking 1

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:00 PM

I am connected to my observatory computer via wireless only. Can I access the camera via Cat5 cable? I mean, can I plug a cable into my Desktop's ethernet port and plug the other end into the camera and thus access my camera that way? Or would I need the ethernet cable to have a direct link with my modem on one end and the camera on the other end in order to access the camera?

#3 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:28 PM

If I understand your questions correctly, to use a wired camera as described, you will need a wireless "bridge" in your observatory. Explained HERE

Or run a Cat 5E cable to your observatory, you will still need a device, called an Ethernet switch, to plug in multiple devices.

If there is a way to set up a wired camera to a stand alone desktop, and then use the wireless Ethernet on the desktop to view it, I don't know how to do it.

#4 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:33 PM

I am connected to my observatory computer via wireless only. Can I access the camera via Cat5 cable? I mean, can I plug a cable into my Desktop's ethernet port and plug the other end into the camera and thus access my camera that way? Or would I need the ethernet cable to have a direct link with my modem on one end and the camera on the other end in order to access the camera?

I guess it all depends on camera, equipment, etc.

I have everything - video cam, Canon 60Da and any other camera for that matter to the Macintosh directly: USB and Firewire (also use a Keyspan adaptor for the serial connections). Once I get a SBIG Camera (STT or STXL), which it sounds like you have, you can then go Ethernet to the computer or a router even, and have the camera as a part of your network (access is via a web browser). The telescope is also tied in via SkyFi and on the wireless network for control.

Control is all done through the 17" Macintosh Laptop. Once the observatory is set up, control will be via the MacMini with a 30" Apple Display; image processing and video sharing over the internet will be via the new MacPro. The laptop is connected wirelessly, however I am likely going to run gigabit Ethernet to the dome. Either way, once on the network, control of the telescope can be done via the computer or iPad (or iPhone). Cameras are controlled directly on the computer, however the desktop (and hence cameras) can be viewed and controlled remotely quite easily. Of course the SBIG STT/STXL can be controlled through your network setup via the Mac, iPad or iPhone as its own remote "computer".

I can't speak for other camera systems, but it should be very similar.

#5 LoveChina61

LoveChina61

Viking 1

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:28 PM

Thank you for your responses!

#6 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:11 AM

China,

You can setup a wireless bridge and run ethernet inside your observatory.

Chris

#7 astro-monkey

astro-monkey

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Nebraska

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:49 PM

China,

You can setup a wireless bridge and run ethernet inside your observatory.

Chris

This is what I plan on doing. I have an old router that I thought I bricked but managed to save. Set it up to bridge with my other router and I'm going to stick it out in the obs with an "old" pc and network camera. Should work out pretty good.

#8 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:57 PM

AM,

Check out DD-WRT. It has some wonderful methods of bridging that aren't necessarily stock depending on your router.

Chris

#9 astro-monkey

astro-monkey

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Nebraska

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:56 PM

I second DD-WRT. I've used it in the past but am currently using Tomato. It's nice being able to VPN into my router while I'm away.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics