My New LX850

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Steppenwolf323

Steppenwolf323

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:56 PM

I, I received my new 10" LX850 this week and of course it has been raining which is the norm for all new telescopes.
Let me begin by saying it is a thing of beauty. It arrived in 5 boxes, the one containing the mount is huge, very well packed and protected. It took me about 2-3 hours to unpack and setup. The mount and tripod are really heavy. I did this my self which is no small feat for a guy 65 years old with a bad back and a bad heart. The instructions are great.
It was surprisingly easy to balance. Of ourselves I always balance in DEC first which seems to make things simpler. I also purchased an extra counterweight which helped make the balancing easier as this is one monitor sized setup.
The Finder Scope is heap and difficult to keep aligned. Can anyone recommend a replacement?i know that won't be using it much but it helps with terrestrial viewing which I sometimes do (no, not windows). I like Telrad but I have never been able to get them to stick on Meade products. An interesting note, when aligning the Finder I forgot lock the DEC and RA clutches and the scope barely moved.
I turned it on and while not able to do any alignment because of *BLEEP* weather I at least went to some bright objects via the Finder. This mount is quiet unlike my LS8 or LX200. It is obviously very well machined and quite solid. I can't wait to try the Starlock when the weather clears.
I know Meade has problems, but they have had the. Before. The quality I see in this mount makes me not in the least sorry I am taking a chance with Meade. I will send some pictures and first light when the weather gets better.
Herbert
Tokyo

#2 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:33 PM

Steppenwolf,

Yes, the LX850 is a work of art - a wonderful system. Wait until you get some clear skies (or partial clear lol). You will see the optics are perfect, and Starlock REALLY does work! When people see it in person and in use they are amazed. The ads do not do it justice.

Now...why won't your finder stay aligned? On some threads I heard there was the wrong screw used to secure it (I know, not good). Check this first.

The finder is adequate, but made for basic/simple finder use. I think that was done because it will rarely be used. I use it for initial polar/German North crude pointing and that is it. All the rest is StarLock magic.

For the terrestrial and wide field viewing and photography I picked up the Meade Series 6000 80mm APO. My reasons for getting it:
* Can mount with the LX850 OTA out of the box (LX850 has two mounting spots on the plate).
* Can also mount onto grab and go mount. I picked up a used LXD75 mount. Great mount! Works perfectly!
* Visual is great through this refractor. A little narrower field than the 50mm variety, but the optics are great. Beautiful, sharp wide vistas. Stars look perfect right to the edge. I am not a refractor expert, purest, however the views look wonderful.
* I have also seen sample images taken with the 80mm which are wonderful. The LX850 mount will be over kill for it, but stunning images will be taken.

It is a pricier option, but allows for more versatility. You might want to consider this.

BTW - it has been mostly cloudy every night this month for me! I think I won't get to use my LX850 until later in August. Grrrrrr

My son is also leaving Tokyo today. He was there for a study abroad project. I was also there 2 years ago and climbed Mt. Fuji with my 14 year old. Wonderful city to visit (and mountain, lol). We hope to visit again soon!

#3 Steppenwolf323

Steppenwolf323

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:34 AM

Andrew, Thanks for all the great advice. I never thought of a side-by-side in lieu of the finder. I have a short tube Orion 80mm I can use. Thanks for saving me some money.
You are correct about the scope and mount. Absolutely magnificent. We do not get many clear skies this time of year. So I am hoping. Have been here 30 years from Munich, Germany. Taught university, retired, and decided to stay. Love it

Herbert

#4 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:42 AM

I'm just wondering, if you're in Tokyo, why not use a mount from a local source?

-Rich

#5 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:13 AM

Andrew, Thanks for all the great advice. I never thought of a side-by-side in lieu of the finder. I have a short tube Orion 80mm I can use. Thanks for saving me some money.
You are correct about the scope and mount. Absolutely magnificent. We do not get many clear skies this time of year. So I am hoping. Have been here 30 years from Munich, Germany. Taught university, retired, and decided to stay. Love it

Herbert

Oh, if you have the Orion 80mm you are good to go! All you need is the Vixen adapter on the 80mm, unless you have it already.

We absolutely loved our visit to Tokyo! Very CLEAN for the size of the city, very friendly folks and just a fascinating place. My son is studying there again next summer in a study abroad program. I can imagine it will be tough to get a viewing window this time of year, though I bet by fall and winter you will have some great nights. Are you IN the city, or just outside? Curious as to the view of the night sky there.

#6 Steppenwolf323

Steppenwolf323

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:06 AM

Andrew,

I am about 30km outside the city. About half way between Tokyo and Yokohama. Not great night skies, but better than the cities. Problem is buildings and wires around me.

#7 Steppenwolf323

Steppenwolf323

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:08 AM

Rich,

Everything in Japan is about $1.50 if it cost $1.00 in NY. As you know Japan's main scopes are TAKs and they are very expensive.

Herbert

#8 southmike

southmike

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Fayetteville, NC

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:38 PM

how about a pic or two.. :)

#9 bigj

bigj

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:28 PM

Congratulations! Enjoy

#10 maugi88

maugi88

Postasaurusrex

• Loc: SE MN

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:01 PM

Congrats on the new scope. I am a proud new owner of an lx850 also. Great scope.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics