Zhumell z8

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 rnc39560

rnc39560

Vanguard

• Loc: MS coast

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:47 PM

How clear would Saturn and Jupiter be with standard eyepieces with the Zhumell z8? Also, what DSO would I be able to view with same scope and good seeing?

#2 StrangeDejavu

StrangeDejavu

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:04 PM

I don't have the Z8, but I do have the Z10. Saturn is amazing during nights of good seeing. On June 3rd, we had exceptional seeing and transparency; this summers best by a long shot. During that night, the Cassini Division was tack sharp and so vivid it rivaled AP photos. Banding and color variation was outstanding. That night was the first night I ever saw the greenish-gray of the hexagon. No hexagon shape, just a circle, but wow it was amazing. :)

As for DSO: Many. Even with my 4" refractor in the city, I can see M13, M31, M42 M57, the Pleiades, etc. An 8" Dob would give some stunning views. :waytogo:

#3 rnc39560

rnc39560

Vanguard

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:20 PM

Thank you for sharing. We (me and my wife) decided on astronomy as a hobby we can enjoy together, and get away. I'm the only one who has even looked through a scope! We are both interested, never followed through. So far I've gone from looking at everything from 114mm eq mounts to a z8. Which is about the limit I can go right now. Just want to gain as much as I can before first light. This site and our local library has helped ALOT! I have about settled on the Z8. Just try to learn what to expect.

#4 AngryHandyman

AngryHandyman

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, BC

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:25 PM

You'll be able to see thousands of objects in an 8" scope. What they actually look like is difficult to describe, so I really like sketches and drawings as they give a realistic view of what you see at the eyepiece compared to astrophotos. Check out the sketches forum, and I highly recommend Turn Left at Orion as a book to get you started. It has great sketches of 100s of objects with directions on how to find them. It really helped me get a feel for what they looked like, high resolution photos had skewed my expectations.

#5 Ian1957

Ian1957

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cocoa,Fl

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:48 PM

I would also consider the Apatura AD8 Scope from Opticsmart. The guy in this link just needed a small roller bearing and Hayneedle wanted the whole scope back.
http://www.astronomy...-10-bearings...

#6 AstroTatDad

AstroTatDad

Apollo

• Loc: Los Angeles - San Diego

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:56 PM

How clear would Saturn and Jupiter be with standard eyepieces with the Zhumell z8? Also, what DSO would I be able to view with same scope and good seeing?

I have owned my Z8 for sometime now, before I got it I didn't think the views were going to be that great coming from a 6" and 8" sct but I was wrong. I really wanted a 10 or a 12" Dob, but due to there size they wouldn't fit in our small car.

I use my Z8 more then anything else now, I love it even in our red zone it's great. At a dark site, less LP yippie...that's we're your jaw drops. :)
From our red zone we can see a lot, the sky's are little bright "grey color not black" but it's not bad.
I use my Dob mostly for DSO, I enjoy observing nebulae the most. I also use Lumicon UHC and OIII filters these work pretty good with the Z8.
Lunar viewing is awesome, planets "Saturn and Jupiter" are pretty good too. On good nights even in a red zone I can go down to 5mm "240x" no problem viewing Saturn. I even chase down Satellites with it, the ISS blew my socks off the first time I seen it in my Dob. :)
Here is a short list of Nebula's I like to observe often and look great in the Z8.
Eagle Nebula
Omega Nebula
Trifid Nebula
Lagoon Nebula
Veil Nebula
Ring Nebula
Cat Eye Nebula
Dumbbell Nebula
North American Nebula
There is a lot lot more. Clusters and galaxy's look great to, M3, M5 and M13 almost feel like you can touch them :grin:
But yeah I can go on and on, it's a great Dob.

#7 KWB

KWB

Hubble

• Loc: Westminster,Co Elev.5400 feet

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:58 PM

Hello and Welcome to CN! :)

In my avatar you will see a Z8 dobsonian. When the skies are steady,the scope taken outdoors with the fan turned on for about an hour to acclimate to the outdoor temperatures prior to using the scope,and insuring the telescope collimation is still spot on,the views of Jupiter and Saturn are impressive to say the least.

As for DSO viewing,how dark are the skies at your primary viewing location?

#8 rnc39560

rnc39560

Vanguard

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:52 AM

My location is VERY dark. Sometimes deal with clouds though." Turn left at Orion" is in our library. So it looking for astronomy books. Will get it. I am soo glad I found this site! Thank you all for any input and advice. There is only one local person here with any experience that I have found. He told me about the site.

#9 KWB

KWB

Hubble

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:10 AM

You Sir,are in for some very enjoyable nights ahead. :jump:

Under really dark and steady skies,an 8 inch telescope is a very capable instrument indeed. Resolving a bright globular cluster like M13 means seeing literally dozens of star points of light. If you lived in a place like the higher elevations of Colorado with very transparent skies under the same conditions,you could discern the basic shape of the external Galaxy M51 at the eyepiece without having to use averted vision.

Enjoy,enjoy! :waytogo:

#10 rnc39560

rnc39560

Vanguard

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:46 AM

I'm at almost sea level, two miles from coast, (Long Beach, MS) but practically NO light pollution at all where we live, and have a 75 acre area in the country that is mine and my siblings with no light at all. Again, I have learned much, firstly just reading posts already asked and reviews. Secondly, getting good feedback from questions. We can't wait!

#11 rnc39560

rnc39560

Vanguard

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:56 AM

Hmm.... I like the Apatura AD8 too! Pretty close to the same price. Wonder how customer service is on it. I had not heard of them.

#12 KWB

KWB

Hubble

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:04 AM

Hmm.... I like the Apatura AD8 too! Pretty close to the same price. Wonder how customer service is on it. I had not heard of them.

So do I! Either scope will work wonders in your hands and more importantly,to your eyes. :jump:

#13 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

• Loc: India

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:14 AM

They will be quite very clear with an 8mm or 9mm eyepiece. With good collimation and good seeing, I have pushed the Z8 to 358x, i.e., with ES 6.7mm barlowed but that was more to see the scopes capability and focus. But 9mm is more than adequate to view both Saturn and Jupiter and other objects. Your 32mm 2" eyepiece will perform well on star clusters. Experiment and adjust and you will soon come to terms with your scopes ability.

#14 AstroTatDad

AstroTatDad

Apollo

• Loc: Los Angeles - San Diego

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:27 AM

www.opticsmart.com i have heard nothing but good things :) it's pretty much going to be what name you like better at this point between the two. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Now if you didn't have those awesome skies I would say get the AD8 for sure and get the "tweakers dream package" But you really don't need the flocking with your skies :grin: but that package does also come with better hard wear but you can always upgrade that stuff later.

#15 CeleNoptic

CeleNoptic

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cloudy East Coast

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:47 AM

Welcome to CN! :)

Saturn is a very spectacular object. I observed it at 300x through my Z8 on clear nights on Apr 28th and 29th when it was just in Opposition. It was very sharp and big at this magnification, and of course, the Cassini division was easy and obvious, the equatorial bands, Saturnian moons etc. Jupiter will be high enough by the end of the summer. Also very exciting target.

As for the "standard eyepieces", the standards used to vary depending on one's taste. If you mean, Plossls, they should be good, but the field will be quite narrow and you'll have to nudge the scope frequently. So, it's better to get wider field eyepieces, like the ES 82* or Hyperions/Stratuses/AT AF70s or the AT Paradigms/Meade 5000 HD-60/Celestron X-Cel LXs. For the planets on the 8" f/6 Dob you'll need something like 8-9mm (150-133x), 6-6.5mm (200-185x) and 5mm (240x). On the nights with exceptional seeing use 2x barlow for higher magnifications.

The Zhumell 8" Dob would be a really good start. Please, note, it sells with the cooling fan attached and the laser collimator included. Buying a 2x Barlow and the Antares 2" to 1.25" Twist-Lock Eyepiece Adapter will help you with the proper collimation of your future Dob. The Zhumell scopes are really robust quality instruments. I've been using both their 70mm refractor and the 8" Dob and no any complaints so far.

If I see a lot of DSOs on our white/red sky except fainter objects, galaxies, than you'll be able to see practically everything on your dark sky that allows the 8" aperture. For the DSOs don't forget to buy the narrowband UHC filter. In addition to Turn Left at Orion you may consider The Backyard Astronomer's Guide. I'd also recommend to get The Planisphere and the Pocket Sky Atlas . A pair of binoculars also will be useful. Download the Stellarium software to your desktop and any observation planner like this . The Stellarium used to assisting me in planning my observing sessions. It has many useful features including the simulation of a real view of any desired DSO through the scope with any certain eyepiece so I can get an idea what I should expect when observing :grin:. When in the field I also use some smartphone Apps . If you get Telrad finder these Messier Finder Charts will make your navigation the night sky easier.

Hope that helps. :)

#16 sealcove

sealcove

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mount Desert Island, Maine

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:13 AM

I was recently planning to get a Z10, but switched to an AD10 after reading many positive accounts of dealing with Opticsmart. They have been great to deal with so far, and as others have pointed out, they are both identical GSO scopes.

#17 Billytk

Billytk

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Geneva, Fl.

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:02 AM

Opticsmart is fantastic! We love our AD8 and their customer service is the best. We got the tweakers dream package and it is awesome!

#18 BDS316

BDS316

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Sol 3

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:33 AM

Opticsmart is fantastic! We love our AD8 and their customer service is the best. We got the tweakers dream package and it is awesome!

Agree. I had a long conversation with the Apetura/Opticsmart guy at NEAF. He's an amateur astronomer himself and offers cost effective common sense options for these econodobs that no one else does.

If I were in the market for an econodob I would definitely buy from him as opposed to one of the other GSO's or Synta's.

#19 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SE Ma.

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:51 AM

Welcome to CN

You can't go wrong with the AD8 or Z8. There are lots of members here who own one and love them.

#20 rnc39560

rnc39560

Vanguard

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:34 AM

I thank all of you for all your input! Everyone has been so welcoming and informative. I'm gonna get the z8 as I have found one in like new condition, (practically BRAND NEW) but I am trying to learn as much on various brands pros and cons because I can see other purchases ahead! ;)

#21 rnc39560

rnc39560

Vanguard

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:35 AM

I meant z8!! Sorry. Lol...

#22 rnc39560

rnc39560

Vanguard

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:37 AM

I meant z8! Sorry... Lol...

#23 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SE Ma.

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:50 AM

lol, it won't be your only purchase, that's for sure. Some good eyepieces down the road will be the next thing to buy. Most important thing is to get time behind the EP, learn your scope and the night sky. A pair of binos work great too. I use cheap Walmart 10x50 binos to learn new constellations and star hop.

#24 kfiscus

kfiscus

Vanguard

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:52 AM

You are one lucky hombre! Very dark skies and a willing spousal unit. You are going to love the DSOs. Plan on buying a good O-III filter. The views of things like the Lagoon, Trifid, Omega, and Veil Nebulae will blow you away.

#25 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:02 AM

Sorry to but in, good informative reply's and also gives me some new targets.

So Jeff, you saw the ISS through your scope and a Dob at that...Wow. Did you see any shape to it? I sure would like to try that in my 8" SCT. I think it will track it to, so need to look into it.

Bob

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics