• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bouldergti

bouldergti

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:03 AM

Hello All,
I'm looking to get back into stargazing and after some research it looks like the best option around my price-point is the Orion Starblast 6 dobsonian, but the problem is that I have to drive out to the middle of nowhere to view so I'll never have a table with me.

Because of this I'm looking for a reflector around 6" that's tripod capable and in the future perhaps go-to compatible.

Am I out of luck for something in the 300-400 dollar range that would be decent?

The focus would be on DSO.

Thanks!

#2 CosmoSat

CosmoSat

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: India

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:24 AM

iOptron CubePro

But the payload it can take is just about 4 kg...

Clear Skies!

#3 CosmoSat

CosmoSat

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: India

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:37 AM

Or perhaps I read u wrong, if u r looking of an alternate 6" f/5 telescope, I would suggest the...

Omni XLT 150.

Clear Skies!

#4 JosephR

JosephR

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:41 AM

I would suggest mounting a 6" OTA on a Skywatcher AZ-4 mount
http://www.celestron...az-4-mount.html
I have been using this combination - it was on sale a few years back at NEAF for $300. The mount is very stable.

#5 christheman200

christheman200

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:50 AM

I would actually suggest a Zhumell dob for you. For $400 you can get the 8" version and for $100 more you get the 10" http://www.zhumell.c...nian-telescope/ For $500, that is a LOT of aperture. The 6 inch scope you were looking at pales in comparison to a 10 inch on DSOs. You will have to learn how to star-hop to find objects if you haven't already. As well, there are the Apertura brand telescopes which come from the same manufacturer and might be of better value. There are also the intelliscope dobs from Orion which are push-to systems, giving you the ability to find those elusive objects quickly.

#6 hottr6

hottr6

Vanguard

• Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:06 AM

You could add a set of Astronomy-Shoppe dobstand legs. They raise the platform enough to be comfortable and are easily/quickly removable for transport. They are well made and do not create any stability issues. Recommended!

Posted Image

OTOH, I'm not sold on the Starblast mount. It is what it is.... made to a price point. There are better mounts out there. I think you would be better served to purchase an OTA and something like a decent alt-az with slow-motion controls. I'm not a 'nudger' and so deem slo-mos a very high priority in mounts.

FWIW, this mount is the AstroTech Voyager, fitted with digital setting circles. This mount is NLA, but the GSO Skyview appears to be exactly the same mount.

Attached Files

#7 bouldergti

bouldergti

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

Oh man - thanks for all the replies; what an active community!

It looks like I've got a lot more googling to do to catch up with what's already been posted. I never thought of buying items piecemeal like whats been mentioned with picking up an OTA and a separate tripod.

I'm going to try to figure out what I can best do to start off in the $300 range that might be upgradeable later on with a go-to unit if need be.

Thanks a million!

#8 Mirzam

Mirzam

Skylab

• Loc: Lovettsville, VA

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:54 AM

I'd go with an 8" dob and a good observing chair. These are the best chairs:

Starbound Observing Chair

JimC

#9 Eric63

Eric63

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Ontario

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:56 PM

I have a skywatcher 6"F5 reflector that I use on an AZ4 Alt AZ mount. Very smooth and steady; great combo for scanning the sky, very portable and quite stable and high magnification. For extended planetary viewing I use the 6" Newt on an EQ5 with tracking, but still, I like it also on the AZ4 for grab and go and it works very well.

Eric

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics