MAK 150

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

• Loc: India

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:33 AM

Got this yesterday but due to bad weather which continues to persist, could not take it for a test drive. I took some images however which hopefully is of help.

Attached Files

#2 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:33 AM

Packaging..sturdy with styrofoam on all sides, well protected.

Attached Files

#3 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:35 AM

With the aluminium dew shield, diagonal, eyepieces and 8 x 50 finderscope, this will easily touch 22 lbs but found the ZEQ25 handled the weight well despite being short of another counterweight which I have ordered since.

Attached Files

#4 tomharri

tomharri

Messenger

• Loc: USA

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:54 AM

I love Maksutovs. Is that a 2-speed focuser? Humm, maybe time to get a new one.....

#5 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

Yes Tom, it is and looks solid.

Attached Files

#6 redlinedb16a

redlinedb16a

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:39 PM

Please let us know how the view compares to the c6 and the ar102

#7 AngryHandyman

AngryHandyman

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, BC

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:51 PM

I like the idea of the ioptron mak, looking forward to your thoughts on it in the field.

#8 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

• Loc: Mingo Junction, Ohio

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:40 PM

Haseeb,

Beautiful scope! Can't wait to hear your first light report.

#9 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:32 AM

Mine puts up a very nice star test and arrived perfectly collimated. Nice high contrast views, especially considering the CO. I was also impressed with the view through a C6 on DSO though, although I didn't have the opportunity to compare the scopes. I don't think you can really go wrong either way. The Mak is heavier and more expensive but has better build quality and should hold collimation better, plus the corrector will outperform an SCT corrector for edge of field performance. The one thing I am not dippy about is the finder scope, which does not focus so it is always a bit blurry for me. Otherwise great scope.

#10 AngryHandyman

AngryHandyman

Messenger

• -----

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:16 AM

How do you find the 2 speed focuser? Would a single speed focuser be enough; how much do you tweak focus after using the coarse focuser? Trying to get a feeling for comparing to a skywatcher/orion 150mm mak instead which I believe only has a single speed focuser.

#11 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:26 AM

Thanks guys! Bad weather persists so I am eagerly waiting for weather to clear. I will definitely compare with AR 102, C6 to get an idea of the Mak - Cass' performance. I hope the narrow f/12 does not pose an issue. I know the C6 is F/10 but not sure how different a Rumak Mak is compared to SCT.

#12 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:29 AM

How do you find the 2 speed focuser? Would a single speed focuser be enough; how much do you tweak focus after using the coarse focuser? Trying to get a feeling for comparing to a skywatcher/orion 150mm mak instead which I believe only has a single speed focuser.

Maybe try Agenaastro or Astronomics? Normally I find using the normal focuser enough to achieve focus and very rarely I use fine tune knob. Perhaps while the image is magnified on the DSLR's live view, the fine focuser may come handy getting stars sharply focused.

#13 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:50 AM

I love Maksutovs. Is that a 2-speed focuser? Humm, maybe time to get a new one.....

Me, too...fell in love with mine like no other CAT or Dob I've owned. Not bad for a 6" scope. It rocks.

Good luck with yours, Ima bettin you gonna love it.

#14 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:44 AM

Very nice looking scope. I'll be interested in hearing how it stacks up to the C6 SCT. The C6 (at least here) runs approximately half the price but lacks the elegant details like the 2-speed focuser, hard case and factory dew shield.

Also the factory CO spec in the manual for this scope (57mm) is a typo. The 6" Bosma has a 47mm CO. It is the 8" Bosma MCT that has the 57mm CO. This scope, should have a quite reasonable ~31% CO.

Regards,

Jim

#15 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:23 AM

I think its 38%. I checked their revised manual and there's no mention of either but will anyway want to find out by sending them an email.

Weather is bad here and both my WO Z71 and Mak 150 remain as yet untested. Hopefully the new equipment curse lifts earlier than expected.

#16 AngryHandyman

AngryHandyman

Messenger

• -----

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:07 AM

I don't currently have a mak, but I've had my eye on this one for nearly a year, so I'm curious about the differences such as the 2 speed focuser, rumak style secondary vs silver spotted secondary etc. It's the back and forth dance between the skywatcher 150 and the ioptron 150. In either case, it's more nickels to save! Enjoy your new scope, it looks like a beauty!

#17 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:16 AM

Thanks Jeremy, whichever you get, I hope you enjoy. Also hope the bad weather over here changes fast.

#18 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:15 PM

For low power (a relative term with a Mak) I do not tend to use the fine focus. But as soon as I get up around 150-200x it does come in handy. The primary is F3 so the focus is pretty sensitive.

Obviously Rumak is considered better than silver spot, less distortion, but I don't know how measurable or noticeable it would be at the eyepiece. And I don't have a Gregorian to compare it to.

Part of what sold me on the Mak instead of C6 is the field of view. The C6 really seems designed for 1.25" eyepieces, whereas the Mak is designed to take full advantage of 2" eyepieces. In practice though the 2" diagonal bumps the F ratio up to around F14 so that negates much of the advantage compared to the C6 at F10.

The weight is much more than the C6, probably considerably more than the Orion/Skywatcher version. But I was planning to use it mainly on a CG5 so I wasn't too concerned about that. Even works fine on my AZ4 in a pinch. I guess I thought of it this way - the Intes models are on the heavy side too, but they hold collimation extremely well and are pretty durable as long as you don't drop it off your deck. Too early to tell if the weight of the iOptron translates to holding collimation and durability, but here's to hoping so.

#19 AngryHandyman

AngryHandyman

Messenger

• -----

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:12 PM

Thanks for the follow up info, the C6 comparison is helpful regarding the 2" eyepieces/diagnol etc. I'm a ways away from getting a mak, a C11 and C80ED purchase this year already has exhausted my nickel jar, but this thread has peaked my interest again - don't see too many mak threads so it's been great to hear about some others experiences.

#20 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:53 AM

Yes Jeremy, very useful point by Scott with regard to 2" EP's. Both the volume and weight is overbearing at first but after a few trial runs, I seem to get used to it. I think with a 2" diagonal, 2" eyepiece, Finderscope, it tips the scales at around 23 lbs. Just under the ZEQ25 and CG-5 payloads. Note though, this does not come with a diagonal so you need to buy separately in case you don't own one.

I am new to Mak-Cass as well so not sure how to compare the Rumak with silver spot. I hope I am able to give it a test soon enough once weather clears.

#21 ohioalfa64

ohioalfa64

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Ohio (NW)

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:05 PM

Your weight approximations are correct. I have mine mounted on a Vixen Polaris, which is short and require sitting in a chair. The scope has remained collimated for a year. I haven't had any significant dew or cool down issues. my range of optics are 22mm down to 8mm. I have never tried a supersized optic in it (ES82 30mm or leica zoom). The finder scope stinks and I replaced with a SV with diagonal. It is as heavy as I would want to go as a grab-and-go with the counterweights.

#22 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:30 AM

That's good to hear. How does it perform on DSO's?

#23 SteveC

SteveC

Gemini

• Loc: Sunshine State & Ocean State

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:22 AM

Did anybody see a picture of the glass business end of the scope? I know I didn't. :shrug:

#24 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:40 AM

This didn't come out well but here you go.

Attached Files

#25 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Viking 1

• Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

Yes Tom, it is and looks solid.

Congratulations on the new Mak!
I just got a 180mm f/15 Mak and I've been 'learning' about it for the last 4 observing sessions. Differences from my f/11 SCT and my just sold 102mm f/9.8 achromat. Here's what I've learned....
Finderscope(s). I like to sit when I observe...just more comfortable and I can really concentrate on the object. So I was wondering about which type of finder I should get since Orion doesn't supply one, only a synta shoe for one. I tried a 90* one, a red dot one and a straight through one. What I ended up doing is mounting 2.....a red dot for super fast initial finding, and a 9X50 straight though with X cross hairs, non illuminated. I have just bought an illuminated 9X50 with a circle X center. I found with the long f/l, it was quite hard to find the object with a 90*. The red dot gets it close, the 9X50 gets it in the 20mm illuminated double cross hair GSO finder eyepiece. I get perfect GO TO alignment very fast now, even though these finders are ever used thereafter. But it has proven super helpful and a time saver for set up.
Mounted Scope Height: I have a Atlas EQG mount and found that 12" extended tripod legs were perfect position......I could use the straight through finder w/o torquing my body into a noodle and its a perfect sit down on my chair position for 95% of what I observe. So keep this in mind when setting up, and using your finder, e.g. 90* or straight through.
Focuser: Its great that you have a 2 speed and 2" EP capability. The Orion only comes with 1.25 and a single speed mirror focuser. The exit port is 24mm, so I had to learn about field stops on E.P.s (Theoretically, you shouldn't use E.P.s with larger field stops than your scope, but I've found that not necessarily true in some respects.)
Anyway, I installed a 2" rotatable moonlite focuser. For me the fine focus is great and I can use binoviewers with it by moving the mirror, although the bino's really darken the image.... BUT what I really like about the focuser is rotating the EP assembly. Very smooth and buttery motion. I don't have to loosen a diagonal set screw, re-position and re-tighten. VERY nice unanticipated benefit. And also I can use 2" E.P.s, but that's not a problem you have with the 150mm.
FOV: whoa its narrow, that's for sure. But once again, mine is a f/15 so your's won't be so bad. Its a little disappointing not to be able to get the double cluster in one field, but all in all, I get most DSOs in, and they look great. Now of course most galaxies are pitiful, but my 'dark sites' are orange and yellow :bawling:
E.P.s- I've found my 40, 32 and 25 to be most useful with DSOs. The Moon is fantastic but I've found 10mm to be the max for my seeing conditions so far. Saturn has been disappointing except for the first time I looked at it....pretty low now and seeing has not be so good I guess. My biggest issue now is which 1.25" EPs to use and if I should use any of my 2" EPs, e.g. 68, 82 or even 100* that have smaller than 24mm field stops. Last night I used all 1.25" EPs in my 1.25" diagonal. The investigation as to using 2" wide fields will have to continue for another night. I did try a 24mm 82* ES the other night, but the eye relief seemed super short, as compared when using with my f/11.....can that be?
I also remember seeing someone having taken those 3 plugs out of the end, so to be able to cool the scope faster. btw, cool down has not been a problem for me, since I'll keep it in a detached garage in the cooler weather.
Hope this helps. Enjoy your scope!
Regards,
Bob

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics