Making myself a Solar Filter!!!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 tag1260

tag1260

Apollo

• Loc: Ohio, USA

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:24 PM

I have my Baader Solar film here ready to go. I have my instructions from Baader for making a filter housing. Any pointers to do a nice job? Any reason NOT to line this with felt to keep from scratching up the OTA sliding it on and off?

Anything at all?

Thanks

#2 Tom McDonald

Tom McDonald

Ranger 4

• Loc: Circling the Black Hole

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:21 PM

No advice here, but want to say I will be watching this topic. I too have Baader film sitting here waiting for me to get off my donkey and do something with it. :p

Tom

#3 schang

schang

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: columbia, sc

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:30 PM

I just made one to fit my C90 mak, which has a diameter slightly over 4". I just followed the instructions supplied with the Baader film. I could not find the thin double sided tape for the job (most stores stock thick tape for wall hanging purpose, so I had to improvise by using the Scotch tape instead. The trick is to cut small pieces and lines them alternately along the annular rings to create adhesive surface for the film to stick to. Put the ring directly above the film to prevent excessive wrinkles. But no matter how you do it, there will be wrinkles due to the stresses from taping and in gluing the rings to cardboard tubing. The thinness of the film does not help either. However, because it is thin, it will not affect the solar image. I did not use any foam on the solar tube. It fits my OTA just right.

shien

#4 anirudha

anirudha

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:57 PM

I'd be interested to know more about how this goes! Does the shape of the opening at the front of the filter matter? I mean, rectangular pieces of the film giving rectangular filter aperture would be easier as well as more efficient.

#5 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:55 AM

I could not find the thin double sided tape for the job ...

I bought thin, double-sided tape for my solar filter build at a CVS Pharmacy. It's the second largest pharmacy chain in the United States, with more than 7,000 stores.

#6 richard7

richard7

Not Quite

• Moderators
  • Loc: Sacramento

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:45 AM

3M (Scotch) makes double sided cellophane tape. Available in most all office supply stores.

#7 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:49 AM

I use the female velcro instead of felt. And if you put the male side on the scope it makes the solar shade secure.

#8 StarDusty

StarDusty

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Parsippany, NJ

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:21 PM

I cut out two discs using white foam board. Both have a 3" hole in the center. [the white part in the attached photo.] I gorilla glued a piece of baader filter between them.

I attached the filter assemble to a larger stop plate, also made of foam board, using velcro.

I often stop down my large dob with the black stop plate shown in this photo to improve its f/number when looking at planets or close double stars. The solar filter fits nicely over the 4" stop hole. With the 3" diameter solar filter in place, this dob becomes a f/24 unobstructed reflector.

Attached Files

#9 schang

schang

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

I suppose you could do that, if that helps you to simplify the job. I do not know if this will affect your solar image (uneven brightness of the image). You can try it and see if this is an issue, and if you do not like it, you can always reuse the film.

Shien

#10 schang

schang

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:22 PM

skyguy & richard7:

Glad to know that you can get it at CVS or office supply stores. Kind of too late for me. I tried to buy it at building materials and Walmart stores, when the store clerks led me to this thick double sides tape.

shien

#11 kbev

kbev

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Far, far east Mesa

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:36 PM

FYI at Walmart the 3M thin double-sided tape should be in the office supply section.

I have built a couple of these filters for my C6 and AT72. Using the AT72 with my DBK21AU618 planetary camera I can fit about 2/3rds of the solar disk in the frame, made for a nice view during the Venus transit and solar eclipse last year.

#12 tag1260

tag1260

Apollo

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:57 PM

OK. Just finished making the filter to fit my 60mm Tasco 7T. Didn't take any pics as this was one of those projects where I needed a few more hands as was. I did it according to the instructions with the Baader film and while my next one will be neater looking, this one isn't too bad. Poster board isn't the same as I remember as it's a LOT thinner than I remember so it took quite a few wraps to get to size on the ring. I was a little concerned wit the wrinkles I have in it but just as they tell you, don't worry about it. They don't affect anything.

Attached Files

#13 tag1260

tag1260

Apollo

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:30 PM

Update here. Great addition to my little 60mm with one exception. Anyone making one of these should consider NOT using colored poster board. The color bleeds with very little moisture (humidity) onto your scope. I am going to try to line mine with some packing tape to avoid this problem in the future.

#14 schang

schang

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:37 PM

I forgot to mention that I did not use the poster board as suggested in the instructions. I used cardboard instead, which comes from the back of calendar and 8"x11" notepad that are readily available at home. This cardboard does not have any color to it. shien

#15 schang

schang

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:37 PM

Here is my solar filter photo using the cardboard.

Attached Files

#16 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:25 AM

Why are most homemade white light solar filter made using black poster board? Black is good at night ... but, I'd think it would heat up under the sun and possibly produce heat plumes.

I made my solar filter ... using the instructions from Baader ... with white poster board.

Attached Files

#17 schang

schang

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:49 AM

The cardboard is light tan color, I painted it black for aesthetic reason for the shining solar film. It is not going to heat up much due to the small surface area (my C9 scope is black as well), in a sense before the observer gets the sun burn. If it were an issue for me, I could paint it to white color, but it were not. shien

#18 tag1260

tag1260

Apollo

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:13 AM

I made mine black for one simple reason. It shows it's on my white scope at a glance. I wanted something that contrasted the scope color. It may be a crazy reason but to me it's just a possible safety thing to rest my mind when using the scope after listening to everyone say " NEVER LOOK AT THE SUN WITH A TELESCOPE" for my entire life. :crazy:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics