Tracking and Observing Sattelites ISS

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:18 PM

Hi all...I just read a post from someone who has been observing the ISS in his scope while passing overhead and it was even a Dob! He states that he is able to make out the outline and solar panels in the EP. That seems like a pretty cool thing to see and I would like to learn more about it. I have an LS8 that I believe has a satellite tracking mode in it? So wondering how you go about it and have the scope Go To it when it breaks the horizon and follow it across the sky?

Thanks for any tips in advance.

Bob

#2 nitegeezer

nitegeezer

Apollo

• Moderators

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:32 PM

I will be watching this thread as I also would be interested and just have not taken the time to dig myself. I have been told it is pretty easy, let's hope so!!

#3 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:47 PM

The most popular, freeware program to track satellites with your telescope is "Satellite Tracker" by Brent Boshart. It works with the Meade LX200 "Classic" and "GPS" and "LX200 Compatible" scopes and the Autostar models (497,495 and 495). It also works with the Celestron NexStar GPS, 8i and 5i telescopes and the CGE mounts.

It can be found on the public Yahoo Group ... "satellitetracker· Satellite Tracker Software":

Satellite Tracker

Look for the SAT.exe file.

I've used this program for many years to track satellites with my LX200 "Classic". It works great, it's very accurate and loads of fun! Good Luck ...

Attached Files

#4 geminijk

geminijk

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:23 PM

Awesome! Thanks for the info skyguy.

John

#5 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:41 AM

Hey John, have you ever done this with your LS? I hear we are supposed to be able to do it and I think it would be pretty cool to actually see some detail of the ISS as it goes flying by.

Heavens above say it will be visible here in NC for the next few day, IF we ever get a clear night!

Bob

#6 wags1

wags1

Explorer 1

• Loc: PA, USA

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:09 AM

The Meade Autostar/Audiostar does have this capability built-in. The manual explains how to activate it. I have not personally used it so I can't comment on how well it works.

#7 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

My wife gets a text last night that indicated the ISS was flying over for 5 minutes. She came up to bed and DEMANDED I get my telescope set up to track it tonight as it does a 6 minute flyover. I now need to figure all this out during the day so I can be prepared.

#8 Bluto69

Bluto69

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Central Wisconsin

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

If my memory serves me right you can get the "orbital element" from here http://www.meade.com/support/auto.html
Go to the bottom of the page. Follow the instructions. I think you copy what you want, paste into a text document. Upload it via Meade's updater.
I think you select your satellite do a goto before it starts. The handbox counts down. You hit enter when it gets to zero. Be prepared to do some fast manual handbox slewing to catch up. You may have to do some manual slewing for corrections. It has been a while but it works.

Terry

#9 Brian P

Brian P

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: New England

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:24 AM

I have a simple phone ap that I can set to give reminders for a variety of flyovers. Last night (Aug 6) we got a beautiful view of the ISS overhead -- at 79 degrees and vis. mag -4. It went right past Vega from my view, and was quite a bit brighter!

Haven't ever tried to telescope it, however.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics