• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 DA53

DA53

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Shoreview, MN

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:43 PM

It is a beautiful cloudless night here, and I set up my NexStar 8se, and flipped on the power switch. Nothing. I checked my power source. It was working fine.
So I went back inside, and read the above error message that I couldn't read in the dark.

Going to Celestron's website, I find that I have to reprogram the hand control. Fortunately, my son has a Windows computer (my Mac does not run on OS 10.7). The scope comes with an RS232 cable, but no USB to RS232 adapter cable required to hook up to the computer. Celestron recommends ordering this from *Amazon* instead of supplying it for me!

The kindest thing I can say is that I'm really disappointed!

#2 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Orlando, FL 28° N, 81° W

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:04 AM

Going to Celestron's website, I find that I have to reprogram the hand control. Fortunately, my son has a Windows computer (my Mac does not run on OS 10.7). The scope comes with an RS232 cable, but no USB to RS232 adapter cable required to hook up to the computer. Celestron recommends ordering this from *Amazon* instead of supplying it for me!

You have a few options, here are some.

TRENDnet USB to RS-232 Serial Converter TU-S9 (White)
http://www.amazon.co...9/dp/B0007T27H8

or this cable

Keyspan by Tripp Lite USA-19HS Hi-Speed USB Serial Adapter
http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B0000VYJRY

or this one by Celestron

Cable, USB to RS-232 Converter
http://www.celestron...-converter.html

Here is the Celestron Support link telling us what we need:
http://www.celestron...se&_a=viewar...

#3 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:04 AM

I use the Celestron cable and I have never had an issue with it at all. I have done 50+ upgrades with no glitches or failures.

Stan

#4 DA53

DA53

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:44 AM

Thanks for understanding, I'm obviously not angry at anyone here. The Celestron cable is unfortunately unavailable, but the other two, I take it, still are, and are available at places like Walmart. As for the instructions, one fellow actually posted on Amazon more precise instructions than the ones Celestron gives. But then he claimed that it is a good idea to bring one's PC even under dark skies because the software can corrupt again.

In contrast, old Meade ETX-90 (purchased in 2000) still worked fine a few years ago, and so far as I know, still does, even without a single software update.

#5 O-Ryan

O-Ryan

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Flower Mound, TX

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

I live in a light-polluted Dallas/Fort Worth suburb and had the chance to take my 8SE to a black sky area on a trip to Yellowstone, so you could imagine my excitement. The FIRST night there I got the same Bootloader Invalid Pkg: 0080 error, so you could imagine my frustration and disappointment.

I feel your pain... :foreheadslap:

#6 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:27 AM

I always carry support equipment with me when I'm in the field.

Stan

#7 DA53

DA53

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:37 AM

Ouch!!

#8 O-Ryan

O-Ryan

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:37 AM

Lesson learned.

#9 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

• Loc: North Charleston SC

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:16 PM

I always carry my laptop and cable with me. You just never know.

But the bigger question would be why is this happening. So far, I have seen posts on here of this happening more and more lately.

#10 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:40 PM

Could be a bug in the firmware revision these folks are using?

#11 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Orlando, FL 28° N, 81° W

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:08 PM

I always carry my laptop and cable with me. You just never know.

But the bigger question would be why is this happening. So far, I have seen posts on here of this happening more and more lately.

I have a NexStar 5SE and a NexStar CGEM 800. Both are the older version (i.e. not the + version). I had my firmware get scrambled on my 5SE once and never on my CGEM, in well over a year. I figure cosmic rays (or static electricity) zapped the memory in the hand controller.

One reason you might hear about it happening more lately could be because more are being sold and more people have found out about Cloudy Nights. People don't report when their hand controller works.

I think the actual reason is that the new + version does some kind of checksum at startup and this is what generates the Bootloader Invalid message. With the old hand controllers you could have a failure and not know about it and keep using it for a long time that way.

I guess I better carry my cables and make sure my laptop has the latest firmware to re-upload. For a really important session (i.e. I drove hours to a dark site) I probably should preemptively upload the firmware, because I have the old hand controller without any checksum test.

Does anyone know if that Bootloader Invalid message is for some kind of checksum test failure?

#12 DA53

DA53

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:59 AM

It is impractical for me and for many others to have to bring a laptop everywhere I go with the telescope. This is something Celestron should fix.

#13 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:28 AM

It is impractical for me and for many others to have to bring a laptop everywhere I go with the telescope. This is something Celestron should fix.

With all of the equipment involved with the telescope, a laptop is "impractical"?

Stan

#14 DA53

DA53

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:49 AM

To bring a laptop to a campground or dark sky area and have to worry about it, too? For me, yes. But if you find this tolerable, good for you! In any case, the handle paddle for my Meade LXD75 has worked for years without any problem, even though Meade (yes, Meade!) doesn't even support these anymore. I should expect Celestron either to do better or to be upfront about the problem: if you buy a NexStar, this can or will happen. You are buying an unreliable product.

Now I have heard others say that once they refresh the software, they have had no further problems. I hope that this will be true in my case.

But I have complained enough. Thanks for reading. Dark skies to you all.

#15 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:11 AM

Dave,
I'm sorry to see that you are have to deal with a defective hand controller. I hope the new one solves your problems and that you have no further troubles with your equipment.

Stan

#16 DA53

DA53

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

Thanks, Stan, I don't know that it is defective yet. When the necessary cable arrives to refresh the software, we shall see. Otherwise, I really like my
NexStar 8se, and having owned telescopes in the past, I realize that there is always a learning curve involved in operating them.

Like many of you, I have lived in a Mac universe, and I am not used to the computer problems Windows users routinely face. I don't feel that I should have to buy a Windows laptop just to fix this. (We'll see how well I can do it with my MacBook Pro as when the cable arrives.)

#17 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

• Loc: St. Petersburg, FL

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:11 AM

If the laptop is only needed to reload the firmware then one of the small netbooks would be sufficient.

For, example:

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B007582K...

#18 cn register 5

cn register 5

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:52 PM

The Nexstar+ CFM that's used to update the NexStar+ firmware is a Java application. Isn't that compatible with the Mac?

I thought that was why it was written in Java.

Chris

#19 O-Ryan

O-Ryan

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:16 PM

Could be a bug in the firmware revision these folks are using?

Mine was all factory settings on a telescope only ~4 months out of the box when I got the error.

In regards to carrying a laptop with me; now that I think about it - I was in the middle of nowhere and a long drive away from cell service/internet connection (a pleasant side-effect of Yellowstone and dark skies). Unless I not only brought my laptop with me, but also had the firmware fix saved on it, it wouldn't have done me any good anyways.

#20 DA53

DA53

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:23 PM

From what I have read, it should work with a Mac. We will see in a few days.

#21 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:06 PM

The firmware is contained in the CFM program that is downloaded to your laptop. There is no need for internet coverage in order to update your hand controller.

Stan

#22 DA53

DA53

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:02 PM

True, if you thought to download it and keep it on your laptop, and you bring your laptop along. But you still need to bring your laptop along, something that bothers some of us (at least me), not others.

I will communicate my issue with Celestron, and see if they are planning on doing anything to fix the problem.

#23 khingdheano

khingdheano

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, TX

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:52 AM

First time I powered up my scope, right out of the box, I got "Bootloader Invalid Pkg: 0002". Ran the firmware update, all was good. One week later I get the 0080 error. Running the CFM again fixed it, but afterwards my mount thought it was a GEM. Had to run it again after finding out that CFM defaults to GEM, and there is an option to change that. Didn't have to do that the first time, but whatever. Two weeks on with no problems. I'm hoping that I have immunity now, having suffered through both afflictions. Remains to be seen.

#24 Pisces1

Pisces1

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:07 PM

:bawling: Welcome to my world...I'm a newbie and in fact this is my first post. I received a Celestron 4SE for a gift in June. After using it a few times I got the same message. I contacted Celestron Support and they directed me to their website to follow the instructions...well NOT! I packed it up and UPS'd it back to them for Celestron to re-program. It cost me $67 in shipping but they fixed the issue and sent in back in 2 weeks. Now, I'm exploring what battery tank to get..since the reviews on the celestron battery tank are discouraging...advice would be appreciated.

#25 DA53

DA53

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:09 PM

I was off on vacation for a few days, and found the necessary Keyspan adaptor in the mail when I came back today. The hardware fit together easily enough. Necessary software for my Mac was on a disk which came with the adaptor. It worked well with the Celestron CFM installer software I downloaded, and now the error message is gone, with same prompts as before (other than a request for which language to use, and an initial instruction to line up the index marks on the telescope--I don't remember seeing that before). I'll see how well the telescope works tonight with the new software.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics