• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: bartlesville oklahoma

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:50 AM

where would a person purchase a small rechargeable battery pack for the se mount. something that is flat and don't take up a lot of room. im thinking about taking the battery compartment out of the base and try to replace it with a rechargeable pack. I think it would work if its small enough. thanks, donnie

#2 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

• Loc: St. Petersburg, FL

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:52 AM

The battery.

http://www.onlybatte...ItemID=11728.37

And the charger.

http://www.onlybatte...ItemID=11862.12

When ordering, be sure to match the selected connector type. Anderson Power Pole works fine.

#3 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:23 AM

Hi Donnie:

The battery pack Eddie linked is a good one with plenty of power for your scope, but will not fit in place of the standard battery compartment. It uses ten C size cells as opposed to the 8 AA cells for the internal compartment.

I originally had the same idea as you and purchased this one, composed of AA sized cells, to try out:
http://www.onlybatte...ItemID=11731.37

My plan was to remove the base cover, and cut the plastic battery compartment out of it so I could use this slightly larger battery pack. This first photo shows the size of the pack compared to the battery compartment:
Posted Image
1_NiMH wont fit by dkuchta5, on Flickr

As you can see, it wouldn't fit without cutting out the battery compartment. This next one shows the base opened up to see how much room is available beyond the battery compartment. Not much!
Posted Image
2_Base Open by dkuchta5, on Flickr

Laying the battery in the space shows that it will fit, but it is very tight and presses against the connectors on the circuit board. Not a good situation:
Posted Image
3_Tight Fit by dkuchta5, on Flickr

I decided it didn't make sense to try to fit it into the space where the battery compartment was. This size pack is not bad, but it only allows 2-3 hours of use and I really preferred something with more capacity - like the one in Eddie's link. I'd recommend getting that one, and velcroing it to the inside of the fork arm. There really is no big advantage to getting one that fits into the compartment space.

-Dan

#4 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: bartlesville oklahoma

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:13 AM

thanks guys for the info, sounds like just what I am looking for. donnie

#5 AstroTatDad

AstroTatDad

Apollo

• Loc: Los Angeles - San Diego

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:40 PM

Dan, even though it only last 2-3 hours I think this is a great idea. For me I always keep some AA's in the SE just incase the wire comes out from my power tank or wall adapter. But we all know AA's die fast, I think this is a great mod and great investment! Thanks for sharing. :)

#6 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:22 AM

Hi Jeff:

Not really sure what mod you're referring to ... since it didn't really happen. :grin:

If you mean the battery pack in place of the battery compartment, the small battery pack shown in my photos above was a bit too large so I abandoned that idea. I still do use that small pack if I'm just going out for a quick session, or sometimes as a backup to my larger pack.

If you mean simply using a NiMH battery pack instead of a big lead-acid jump start unit, then yes, that's a good idea. However, using the larger pack like the one that Eddie posted will provide more like 4-5 hours of use.

I have a similar NiMH battery pack that I use as my main battery for most sessions.

Posted Image

The only difference between this and the one that Eddie linked is the form factor. I bought this one first, and the batteries were laid out side by side to form more of a block arrangement, which I velcro on to the base. The pack that Eddie linked has the batteries laid end to end so it is more of a flat pack. I like that arrangement better because it can be velcroed against the inside of the fork arm and be more out of the way.

Either of these larger packs should last 4-5 hours powering both the scope and dew heaters, longer for the scope alone.

-Dan

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics