Photo

Saw Neptune for the first time last night...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 zonamav

zonamav

Lift Off

• *----
  • Loc: southern arizona

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:08 PM

I haven't been out in at least a month because of monsoon weather, so when I got a good clear night yesterday and loaded up sky safari I was surprised to see Neptune was up. I had been planning to search for it late next month with opposition but I figured hey why not give it a shot on a good night. Took about 45 minutes but I finally found it. Was using my 6" orion xt dob and a telrad.

At 48x it was a pale blue star like object - although more "solid looking" if that makes sense. If I had been just meandering around I don't think I would ever think it was a planet, but knowing what I was looking for, it immediately jumped out becaue of the color and steady shine.

Bumping up to 180x it grew into a very small blue dot but not much else to describe. Of I wasn't expecting anything else since its so far away, I was just glad to accomplish the hunt and mark it off my found list. Maybe next month I'll be able to up the power on it around opposition and get more size to it. On really good nights here I can get to 300x+ so I'm hopeful to revisit it and get more of a disc shape to it.

#2 Tyranthrax

Tyranthrax

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Tampa, FL

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:18 PM

Take pics! the Hue of blue is what I thught was really amazing! I went to tak another photo, but we had high clouds or a haze I couln't get it to come into focus right.

#3 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

Pretty cool, huh! :D

#4 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

Congrats. Its a very unique little (huge) world and I live the color. Good seeing goes a long way in helping the color show best . You may notice the falli t off of illumination at the limb in better moments.

Pete

#5 E_Look

E_Look

Soyuz

• Loc: near New York

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:05 PM

At 300x on good nights you may glimpse also Triton!

#6 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:01 PM

At 48x it was a pale blue star like object - although more "solid looking" if that makes sense. If I had been just meandering around I don't think I would ever think it was a planet, but knowing what I was looking for, it immediately jumped out becaue of the color and steady shine.

Neptune is our only planet I have yet to observe. My first observation of Uranus was very similar to your experience, right down to that solid and steady look you describe. Maybe the weather will clear up down here and I can finally get to see this one.

Ed D

#7 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Great Basin

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:21 PM

I remember about 20 years ago, IIRC, Uranus and Neptune were in conjunction and for a while both fit in the same telescopic FOV. The color contrast was very noticeable, with Neptune much deeper blue and Uranus a pale greenish.
Glad I caught that, the next alignment of those two planets isn't until 2165.

#8 E_Look

E_Look

Soyuz

• Loc: near New York

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:48 PM

I didn't ever catch both Uranus and Neptune in the same field of view, but I recall nights when they weren't all that far away from each other in the sky and I'd go to one after I finished with the other. I saw the same colors you did.

#9 Alein 1630

Alein 1630

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dutchess Count,y NY

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:00 PM

Took about 45 minutes but I finally found it. Was using my 6" orion xt dob and a telrad.

Bumping up to 180x it grew into a very small blue dot but not much else to describe. Of I wasn't expecting anything else since its so far away, I was just glad to accomplish the hunt and mark it off my found list. Maybe next month I'll be able to up the power on it around opposition and get more size to it. On really good nights here I can get to 300x+ so I'm hopeful to revisit it and get more of a disc shape to it.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
See my thread, I could not find it this morning in my 8"
Please read my thread ;)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics