First image with new (old) camera

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff2011

Jeff2011

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:16 PM

After struggling mightily with M8 using my unmodded T3i, I picked up a Rebel XT from a friend at work who was upgrading his camera. I was too chicken to modify my T3i. So I sent the Rebel XT to Hap Griffin for the Baader modification and received the camera back yesterday. Thanks for turning it around so quickly Hap. I was fortunate to have clear skies (yea I broke the curse!) to test it out. Since I had not received my shutter release serial cable yet (I just got it today), I was limited to 30 second exposures. With my light pollution however, the histogram was half way at 800 ISO at 25 seconds. This image is 149 x 25 second frames with 21 darks, 21 flats and 21 dark flats. I decided to guide since I took a lot of frames and did not want my target to drift on me. The scope was my AT6IN with Baader MPCC-III and AVX mount. No light pollution filter. Capture Backyard EOS. Processing DSS/StarTools.

Attached Files

#2 frito

frito

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Fremont, CA

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:40 PM

looks good but there is more there, you just need to push the data more and do some more processing. I did a quick run on the JPG you posted, pretty much just boosted it in curves a bit and adjusted levels slightly. i'm sure with your original more can be done.

Attached Files

#3 Jeff2011

Jeff2011

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:29 AM

Thanks for pointing that out Dwayne. I am always too conservative on my first processing attempt. I will make another attempt at it tomorrow.

#4 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:50 AM

Congrat's Jeff :) ! Glad to hear your curse broken. Hard to tell without larger scale but I like the first one more as far as the core and dynamic contrast. I am always impressed at the size of the field you folks with DSLR's are getting.

#5 Jeff2011

Jeff2011

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:41 AM

Thanks Jim. I am amazed at the narrow band work that you do. I might get there one day, but I am still trying to take baby steps.

I did rush the processing on this one. After I took the image, I let DSS chug on it while I slept and then did the post processing with StarTools in the morning before I went to work. Here is a link to the full size image.

Full Size

I should be able to get some more out of it as Dwayne suggests without blowing out the core too much. StarTools has some nice features to prevent this. In fairness, he was working with a reduced jpeg. However, I am fairly pleased with it as a test image to show the capability of the camera.

#6 rflinn68

rflinn68

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Arkansas

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:12 AM

Nice job Jeff, I like it! Thats not bad at all for 25 second subs. :)

#7 proteus5

proteus5

Apollo

• Loc: Southern New Jersey

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:13 AM

Quite nice, Can't wait to see what you've got when you're done with it.

#8 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:29 AM

Beautiful, Jeff. The new camera is working good.

#9 terry59

terry59

Aurora

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:35 AM

That is very impressive for 30 second subs.

#10 Madratter

Madratter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:38 AM

Looking good. That aspect of keeping the image framed is one advantage of guiding that is often overlooked.

#11 Jeff2011

Jeff2011

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:45 AM

Thanks guys. I did learn another very important concept with this image and that is white balance. I did a custom white balance on this camera during the day.

Then in DSS, I checked the check box to use the camera white balance during processing. Then in StarTools, I only had to adjust the color saturation.

The mistake I was making with my unmodded camera is that I was using a sky filter and had it set to daylight white balance. This resulted in some funky colors as seen in my attempt in the intermediate DSO challenge for M8. I should have done a custom white balance on the camera using the sky glow filter.

I know the white balance can be done during the post processing, but I am not very good at doing that. I would rather have the Camera and DSS take care of that for me or atleast get very close so that I only have to do minimal tweeks to the color.

#12 rflinn68

rflinn68

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Arkansas

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:54 AM

On my T3 I use "auto white balance" for imaging areas like this. I have the custom white balance set to white paper for doing regular daytime pictures.

#13 Jeff2011

Jeff2011

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:10 AM

I have not had much luck with auto white balance. I based my method on Jerry's web site:

http://www.astropix....OP/CUSTOMWB.HTM

He applies the white balance setting determined from the daytime white paper during the post processing. I took this a step further and just let DSS do the white balancing for me based on the camera's custom white balance settings. Seems to work. I have not tried this yet with the LP filter, but will need to redo the custom white balance before I try it.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics