Photo

Timer for Cerium

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 kfrederick

kfrederick

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:20 PM

Looking for a timer that can come on two sec every two min for a cerium drip . I plan on using a blender with a hole near the top of the bowl .So when it kick on it would mix and some would splash out the hole . I need a control that does seconds .Most are only one min times . Any help would be great

#2 Jeff Phinney

Jeff Phinney

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: CA

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:23 PM

Would an IV pump fill the need or am I not understanding you correctly?

#3 kfrederick

kfrederick

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

I need something to mix the Cerium so I thought a blender night work.Just need a drop or two .

#4 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:34 PM

you can have two realys, one for time off, one for time on.

time off triggers time on and drip. time on triggers time off when goes off.

or you could get an IV bag hang it above the machine and use its drip control.

#5 John Carruthers

John Carruthers

Skiprat

• Loc: Kent, UK

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:38 AM

On our workshop diamond drill we had a bucket, a 1/4" hose and a small tap from the aquarium shop. We could set the drip rate as required. The stirrer sounds a good idea, maybe 2 magnets? one outside the bucket, one inside?

#6 wiseone

wiseone

Vendor (Zerochromat)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: North Wales, UK

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:42 AM

My machine had a pump (actually an old central heating pump) which circulated the cerium oxide slurry in a large tank, and part of the flow was diverted to the polisher. The flow was controlled by a small water tap. Worked a treat!

#7 kfrederick

kfrederick

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:24 AM

Thanks for the help .I found a timer that does seconds but costs 100 dollars . I keep looking .I like maybe two seconds on and three min off . The bender mixes good and should splash some out a hole close the top . Just wont a drop or two. Built a new large polishing machine and am tricking it out .For a water drip a pop bottle with the lid loose works good .

#8 Don H

Don H

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Midwest US

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:28 PM

My friend and I put a hot water heater pan under our turtable. Slurry was continually pumped up from it by a small pond pump. In order to keep the slurry mixed, we screwed a wndshield snow brush under the turntable, which stirred it up nicely. We would let mirrors run on that machine over night all the time... The whole set up was probably less than fifty dollars, but it did take a lot of slurry to get it going the first time. We would strain it from time to time with a nylon or very fine screen, and add more cerium sometimes for a new mirror. We used to like to think the CeO was breaking down over time and becoming even finer for polish. That machine did make some very smooth mirrors.

Regards,
Don

#9 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

• Loc: Gorst Washington(center of the Universe)

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:16 PM

Frederick...simply use a fish tank bubbler machine. drop an air house into the cerium tank(2 if the pump has them)..and the cerium is agitated....in the bubbles...then use capillary action with an extremely small hose or IV clamp..it isn't rocket science.

Rob

#10 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:38 PM

It probably isn't rube goldberg enough for the farm boy in kevin. :grin:

#11 kfrederick

kfrederick

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:02 AM

I love Rube Goldberg .

#12 steveastrouk

steveastrouk

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: State College, Pa.

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:13 AM

What you need is a simple timer chip, called a 555, a transistor and a relay. PM me if you can handle a schematic.

#13 kfrederick

kfrederick

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:31 AM

Sent a PM thanks If you can post it here others might wont to see

#14 EyeSage

EyeSage

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canukistan

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:29 AM

There's a video out there (sorry if I can't come up with the link right now) that details a system to do just what you're after. It uses a small sort of oblong shaped magnet inside a beaker containing the cerium. Under the beaker is a DC powered cooling fan with another magnet affixed to the hub. The fan is triggered to run for a few seconds every couple of minutes with the sort of basic 555 timer circuit suggested above, and the magnet on the hub causes the magnet in the slurry to spin, keeping the cerium well mixed. Seems pretty elegant to me and it's much easier to trigger a small DC fan with a timer than something that runs on AC like a blender.

#15 ccaissie

ccaissie

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Whitefield, Maine

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:55 AM

Omron H3CR at Mouser.com

http://www.mouser.co...00-240/?qs=s...

I spec'd one out for a centrifuge timer. Repeat cycle. Milliseconds, seconds minutes hours days. dual contacts, i.e. N.O and N.C.

There are simpler ones for less, like $40. Automationdirect.com

c

#16 steveastrouk

steveastrouk

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: State College, Pa.

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

What I proposed to Kevin would cost him about 20 bucks, tops.

#17 kfrederick

kfrederick

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

Got a guy who is sending me a timer . Good help here thanks

#18 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

• Loc: Gorst Washington(center of the Universe)

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:42 PM

What I proposed to Kevin would cost him about 20 bucks, tops.

What I proposed costs about $2 at a second hand store.

But if you like spending money to make what is simple, complex.....it's your money. Gravity and capillary action do more then what is expected..and they are free. :smirk:

Rob

#19 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:42 PM

There's a video out there (sorry if I can't come up with the link right now) that details a system to do just what you're after. It uses a small sort of oblong shaped magnet inside a beaker containing the cerium.

I was trying to find it but i found this old one...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=p_5M-qjIRIw

#20 Ed Jones

Ed Jones

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Sin-sin-atti

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:40 PM

I badly needed a more dependable cerium delivery system for both work and home. I had made a gravity drip system which worked by pinching the tubing to control the flow. However sometimes larger particles would accumulate at the pinch point and stop the flow. So I wanted a more dependable system and bought this inexpensive aquarium pump. It an way too fast on 12 volts so I bought a PMW speed control. Even slowed down it was too fast so I needed an interval timer. I tried a 555 timer circuit and got it working on a project board but then the chip just burnt while running, and I couldn't get another to work again. (electronics and me don't do well) So I just got a 7 rpm DC motor and used a cam to push a limit switch every revolution. Maybe not elgant but I'm no longer tied to a machine with a squirt bottle of polish.

Attached Files

#21 Mark Harry

Mark Harry

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Northeast USA

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:33 PM

Hey, Ed!
All you need to do, is get the pitch to behave, and do it all in 20 minutes with a couple sprits of thin compound--- and you're done! (no worries about fancy cerium mixers/circulators)
:lol:
M.

#22 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:59 PM

Or you can tie a cerium bottle to a beer bottle so everytime you pick it up to drink, the cerium tips over and drops a couple of drops. :p

#23 Ed Jones

Ed Jones

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Sin-sin-atti

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:45 AM

Not sure I follow you Mark, some time mirrors will take several hours to polish out and if the lap dries out bad things will happen.

#24 kfrederick

kfrederick

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:14 AM

I read [I think ??] that Cave use to polish submerged . Any one try that way .I have been using vinegar in my CO .Think it is better .

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics