Newbie Corner - Post your first astrophoto!...Pt-2

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#1 fishonkevin

fishonkevin

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:01 PM

The original thread has been archived, here is a link to the archived thread.

A little intro from Charlie:

Hi Folks!

I know that I was excited beyond belief when I saw my very first astrophoto! Some of the feedback we have been getting lately has told us that there are a lot of you out there who want to share your excitement at getting your first real astrophotos "in the bag" but may feel a little "put off" by what some of your fellow beginners with a bit more experience are able to do. I would like to help you to overcome this by offering you a chance to post your very first astrophotos right here!

With that said - I'm also hoping that by posting your photos here, other "newbie" imagers can see what to expect from their initial attempts at astrophotography. This is very important - we need to show other "newbie" imagers that what they are getting as a brand new imager is very "normal" - the point here is not to be perfect, but instead to really show where you actually started from. In addition, I hope that you will use the images you post as a definitive "baseline" to measure your progress over time. You are only a "newbie" right now - at this point in time. With time and practice you will definitely improve. Show us your very first steps up the ladder!

It is extremely important to me to keep this thread a completely safe place to post, and so if you wish to participate, I ask that you follow a few simple rules:

1: Images posted here must be from a users "first" attempts at astrophotography. The photo must be an astrophoto taken within one month of the poster's very first attempt. Remember, this is not a contest - this is a chance to proudly and safely show off your initial attempts at astrophotography.

2: Images posted here must not be more than one month old when posted. Please do not post any astrophotos taken prior to one month before today's date. The purpose of this thread is to document "new" beginners ("newbies"). While I appreciate seeing "newbie" images from imagers who are now more experienced, that is not the purpose of this thread.

3: Images posted here must have been set up by the poster and taken with the poster's own gear. Please do not post images taken with a friend's CCD camera on their equipment in their permanent observatory. That is not representative of what the typical "newbie" can do. Please understand and observe the "spirit" of what we're trying to accomplish here.

4: PLEASE - post once, and only once in this thread! We want as many folks as possible to post their initial tries at astrophotography, but after that it really isn't your "first try" any more. Any multiple posts from a user will be deleted - please take note of this!

5: Images posted here must conform to the standard Cloudy Nights requirements for posting images. Specifically, your image must not be more than 800 pixels in width, and also must not be moe than 100,000 bytes in file size. I understand that as a "newbie" imager you may not even understand what this really means, or how to make certain that your images are in compliance. Image editing is a skill that "newbies" must eventually learn. To that end, I will intercept any images that do not conform to the rules and edit them to bring them into compliance, and I will contact you in order to find out how we can help you to be able to post "legal" images - we want you to contribute!

6: THIS THREAD IS FOR PHOTOS ONLY! PLEASE DO NOT POST COMMENTS ON THE PICTURES IN THIS THREAD! Any commentary posted in this thread will be deleted, no matter how nice it is. Now this does not mean that I'm wanting to be a killjoy about this - I can post a separate thread for comments if you would like for me to do so - just send me a Private Message to let me know if this is of interest to you.

Charlie

For you who are new to Astrophotography, please post your first images in this Pt-2 thread.

#2 SkyGibbon

SkyGibbon

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Las Vegas, Nevada

Posted 10 August 2013 - 03:12 PM

One of my first. Shot through a C-90 and modified Lifecam.

Posted Image

• Alware likes this

#3 lakerball

lakerball

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:34 AM

Well technically its been more than a month(almost 2) since my FIRST image... but only had about 4 cracks at it since due to bad weather... so I might throw my first effort at Saturn in here.

Taken with a 6se on a standard mount. Little to no experience with processing, but had a crack at it none the less.

Cheers,

Attached Files

#4 kurterickson35

kurterickson35

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: King Geroge, VA

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:43 PM

Only had my scope for a month and the camera for a couple of weeks. Learning my way around the night sky and workng my way through the imaging and processing learning curves.

16AUG13 Jupiter with what I believe is Io in the bottom left corner.

Attached Files

#5 O-Ryan

O-Ryan

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Flower Mound, TX

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:37 PM

My first (coherent) AP from about 6 months ago.

Attached Files

• Alware likes this

#6 PhilCo126

PhilCo126

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: coastline of Belgium

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:27 AM

Can it be "scenic" shots of the night sky ?

#7 AtlantaRob

AtlantaRob

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Atlanta Area

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:06 AM

Here is my first attempt at M31 under decent conditions...
Decent is relative as I am 15 miles west of the Atlanta light bubble.

Attached Files

#8 AtlantaRob

AtlantaRob

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Atlanta Area

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:15 AM

Here is the same image as jpg, gif dosent seem to scale well.

Attached Files

#9 AnokaAstronomy

AnokaAstronomy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: MN

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:22 AM

Used with a reflector built in 59, F4.5 camera was my GS2. I have since then upgraded and gotten better. :D

Attached Files

#10 schluterdude

schluterdude

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Centerville, OH

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:48 AM

first attempt at deep sky, here's the ring! not real happy with it, but next time i'm out, i have a laundry list of things to do differently (iso setting, length of exposure, dark/flats, etc....) BUT, the ring is there!

Attached Files

#11 dc_robert

dc_robert

Mariner 2

• Loc: Washington, DC

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:54 PM

My first real astrophoto, because it was taken with a smidgen of knowledge of what I'm doing.

Date: 2013 08 20
Imaging telescope: Skywatcher PRO 120ED
Camera: Canon 60D (modified)
Mount: Alt-Az
Guiding: None
Software: BackyardEOS; Registax; Photoshop CS5

Attached Files

#12 jaymcgil19

jaymcgil19

Vendor-LX200 CLASSIC ELECTRONICS EXCHANGE

• Vendors
  • Loc: S/E Michigan

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:18 PM

Nova Delphini 2013. Observing this Nova visually inspired me to finally take my first photo other than point and shoot camera photos

Attached Files

#13 astrowilliam

astrowilliam

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: NY

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:18 AM

Just took this one tonight using my 4.5" Celestron with my iPhone.

Posted Image
  • thgr8houdini likes this

#14 swansong

swansong

Lift Off

• Loc: Los Angeles,CA

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

Mare Crisium 326x, meade 26mm with baader 2.25x barlow and handheld afocal iphone4S. first relatively high mag photo with my first big scope, a lx200acf 8" from my backyard in the middle of Los Angeles... can't wait to take it to dark skies this weekend, woohoo!!

The best part is my mother in law has a ranch at 5400' in the south sierra with little light pollution, so ready for some serious astrophoto geekout sessions. Haven't even seen a DSO yet but already ordered a radial guider and some filters, I can hardly contain myself! Really a dream come true.

Posted Image

#15 Shaunavon

Shaunavon

Explorer 1

• Loc: Wauwatosa, WI, USA

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:12 PM

A great shot of the moon with no image processing. Captured on Sept 25, 2013 @ 11:24pm.

Equipment used:
Area: Light polluted balcony facing East
Telescope: Nexstar 8SE with focal reducer f/6.3
Alt/Az mount
Imaging camera: Canon T3i
BackyardEOS (capturing software)
No autoguiding

Attached Files

#16 TheBigCurryPot

TheBigCurryPot

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: New York

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:59 PM

Hi All,
This is my first Astrophoto. Europa's eclipse. You can see Europa closer to the planet and Io a little further out.

Attached Files

• Alware likes this

#17 jlmanatee

jlmanatee

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:26 PM

My first good moon shot with Canon XSi, 300mm telephoto lens and tripod http://www.flickr.co...N06/9974867113/

Attached Files

#18 Whuppy

Whuppy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ortonville, MI

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:41 PM

Here's one of my first decent photo's. M92 taken with a GPS 11. A single 30 second exposure. Only the second time being able to use my Nikon D3100. I prefer not to talk about the first attempt! :o

Attached Files

#19 cheekygeek

cheekygeek

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Kearney, NE

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:23 AM

Oops, just saw this thread after I started my own: http://www.cloudynig...6128601/page...

I have taken images of comets before (on film) and captured Comet PANSTARRS with the crescent moon, so technically this is not my very first image, but it is my first with the combination of a Pentax K-5ii and the O-GPS1 AstroTrack feature. See thread above for details.

I'll repost the JPEG here:

Posted Image

45 sec at ISO 800 with a SMC K 135mm f2.5 (not the "Bayonet" version) at f4

#20 jhayes_tucson

jhayes_tucson

Viking 1

• Loc: Bend, OR

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:23 PM

After showing the kids some objects through my "new" (2006) C14, I mounted a Canon 7D at the f/11 Cassegrain focus and took a few photos. I only spent 1 minute aligning the polar axis so I kept the exposures to only 30 seconds at ISO 6100 with no auto-guiding or any other guiding for that matter. The moon was exposed in 1/250 second at ISO 400. I didn't put a lot of effort into it and I was frankly surprised at the quality of the results. Next time, I'll see if I can step it up a notch. The globular cluster is M13 and the Nebula is M57, the ring nebula (like I have to even tell you guys.) Enjoy...
John

PS Hmm...to tell the truth these might actually be my set second astrophotos. I seem to recall shooting M42 back in the 60's on a cold winter night with film. I barely remember it and the equipment was so primitive that I'm not even sure it counts.

Attached Files

#21 jhayes_tucson

jhayes_tucson

Viking 1

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:24 PM

Here is M57...
(Notice that it picked up the 14.8 magnitude star at the center. Not bad for 30 seconds!)

Attached Files

#22 jhayes_tucson

jhayes_tucson

Viking 1

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:25 PM

Here's M13...

Attached Files

#23 BlueApoc

BlueApoc

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:16 PM

Hello everyone! These are my first two photos that I consider decent of the Orion Nebula. Last month my Dad gave me his older set of Orion telescopes (6" reflector and 120mm refractor) and Skyview Pro mount. The mount doesn't have the GoTo kit, so the photo is unguided. The mount was only polar aligned as best as I could get. Stacked in DSS and post-processed in Photoshop.

Posted Image

#24 kraberus

kraberus

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:24 AM

Okay here's my first prime focus attempt. Nikon D7000 thru an Orion ST-80.

Attached Files

#25 kraberus

kraberus

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:30 AM

...and here's my first decent wide-field image. Nikon D7000, Tokina, 11-16 f/2.8, ISO 1600 for about 30 secs.

Attached Files

• kalasinman likes this

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics