Where's Neptune??!!

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 Gil V

Gil V

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:09 PM

Using Nexus and Sky Safari, I found Neptune in about a minute. Just a wee disk, is all.

#27 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:51 PM

Interesting enough the night of jan 4th, 1613 Jupiter actually occulted Neptune. it would have been interesting if Galileo observed that event.

He might have. Seems to me I read that he actually recorded Neptune several times in drawings of star fields. Or was that Uranus? Or some other guy?...
Well, someone did something sometime, and Neptune was involved; I know that much for sure.

Now it's time for my nap.

#28 bherv

bherv

Surveyor 1

• Loc: WMass

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:22 PM

I couldn't find Neptune last night, I may have had it in the field of view but I didn't pick it out of the star field. Uranus was easier to find.
Barry

#29 SporQ

SporQ

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Indiana, USA

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:59 PM

Hello,

I just came in from a viewing session with Neptune with my CPC 1100. Conditions were very good but not ideal and I was able to do some fine collimation at 560x at the beginning of the session. GoTo found it right away and I was able to view at 280x with my 10mm Ethos. Disk shape with some color change and I swear I caught ghosts of Triton in averted glances at times. I can't confirm it, though Sky Safari did have it in a similar spot. This was the longest I've ever observed him and I enjoyed it very much.

#30 caheaton

caheaton

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:13 AM

On the morning of 9/29 I observed Neptune using the 4" F/6. At 96x Neptune presents a clear (albeit very tiny) disk that is clearly not a star. With the 25mm Plossl (24x), it looked very starlike, except for the beautiful blue color that set it apart from typical stars...the blue is a bit richer than I've ever observed in any star and it helped the planet stand out from the other stars in the field of view.
(Though I did cheat a bit getting there...I used a goto mount ;) ).

Uranus is my favorite of the two outer planets...beautiful greenish tint.

#31 yesplease

yesplease

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:27 PM

This morning I attempted to find Neptune I used the article in astronomy to help me along with my pocket sky atlas. I got the triangle of 42, 38 Aquarii & Iota Aquarii in my finder, than went to sigma Aquarii. Using astronomy's finder chart I looked between those two 7th magnitude stars at 33x and 67x in my 8" Dobsonian. I know it's small so I looked for a unfocused "star". Couldn't find it......help, tips
:p :o :( :mad:

If you can find Deneb algiedi and nashire, they basically point to it. It is dead left of them in a cubby of medium stars, with Ancha inclosing it at the top. A cool trick to find planets is to use a 120-160x eyepiece and purposely put your telescope out of focus, because the planets are always brighter and bigger out of focus than a star.

dave

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics