Beautiful Homebuilt GEM

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#51 dmcnally

dmcnally

Mariner 2

• Loc: Lompoc, CA

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:06 PM

I just found this thread and it's been very interesting, and informative, to read.

sternenhimmel: Please post an update. I'd be interested to see what kind of progress you've made, or if you've decided to abandon the project.

Sean & Chucke: Your mounts are awesome and thanks for sharing.

As for me, I've got the "bug" to build a mount, but I'm still in the research and idea gathering phase.

Dave

#52 hjd1964

hjd1964

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:33 PM

I DIY'ed a GoTo system for my G11, it works well (meeting my expectations) and wasn't terribly expensive. Not in terms of dollars spent anyway. Check my website, it's easy to setup (as these things go) and runs on a lowly Arduino micro-controller with the help of two Allegro a4988 (or similar) bipolar stepper drivers. Still need to tackle building in multi-star alignment. I use my T-Point like system to overcome this limitation for now and plan to roll it into the micro-controller eventually. Slew speeds were topping out at 1 or 2 deg./sec. (best case), but recent improvements make it fast enough that your motors (and fear of damage to your telescope/self/others) will likely be the limiting factor. Use an Android phone as a hand-controller, ASCOM driver, partial Meade LX200 protocol compatibility, PEC, etc.

#53 Megabusa

Megabusa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Page ,AZ

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:40 PM

I wish I had the smarts to make that ,I did steel and Aluminum fabrication work most of my life so I've been around Machinist ,but never thought to try to pick it up ,Now when I look back I wish I had , :(

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics