Books on Comet C/2012 S1 ISON

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 swalker

swalker

Imaging Editor - Sky & Telescope

• Loc: 42.9225°N, 71.2242°W

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:32 AM

Heheh, you're spoiled by the excellent quality of today's digital cameras. Back in the early 90's, film was still the dominant detector.

#27 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:34 PM

Heheh, you're spoiled by the excellent quality of today's digital cameras. Back in the early 90's, film was still the dominant detector.

Film is OK, but that paperback had images that looked like a zerox of a zerox (excessively grainy).

#28 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:19 PM

Please note the first two books are the best and have a lot of B&W photos but are scientific level books...
A "more general" read is:
The Great Comet Crash: The Collision of Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 and Jupiter
By Gene & Carolyn Shoemaker, edited by Jacqueline Mitton
978-0521482745

This is an awsome book! Nice colored photos. Textbook quality. I will read this from cover to cover. Just what I was looking for (and for under $5 including shipping - what a buy!). :jump: :jump: :jump:

#29 PhilCo126

PhilCo126

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: coastline of Belgium

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:54 AM

World-renowned astro-photographer Damian Peach captures comet C/2012 S1 as it nears the red planet Mars...
http://www.astronomy...09/26cometison/

http://astronomynow.com/comets/

#30 SusanY

SusanY

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cape Town, South Africa

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:40 PM

Ikeya-Seki in October '65 was best seen in the Southern Hemisphere – I was a little kid at boarding school in Zimbabwe and we were woken up in the early hours of the morning to see the comet. It was the most magnificent thing I had ever seen – its tail was so dazzling that it looked like a searchlight beam splayed across the top of the mountains.

I can still picture it in my mind’s eye, and in fact, thinking about it now, I’d count seeing Ikeya-Seki as one of those experiences you have a once or twice in a lifetime, if you're lucky.

#31 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• Loc: East of the Sun, West of the Moon...

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:14 AM

Ikeya-Seki in October '65 was best seen in the Southern Hemisphere – I was a little kid at boarding school in Zimbabwe and we were woken up in the early hours of the morning to see the comet. It was the most magnificent thing I had ever seen – its tail was so dazzling that it looked like a searchlight beam splayed across the top of the mountains.

I can still picture it in my mind’s eye, and in fact, thinking about it now, I’d count seeing Ikeya-Seki as one of those experiences you have a once or twice in a lifetime, if you're lucky.

True that, Susan! :cool: Perhaps that fact that we were quite young plays into it, also... even when under perfectly dark skies today, they never seem quite so sparkling as they did in my youth.

Fred

#32 SusanY

SusanY

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cape Town, South Africa

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:14 PM

Oh absolutely, Fred! I just popped outside and measured out how big it actually was in the sky, and I can assure you that it was a LOT bigger in 1965!

#33 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• Loc: East of the Sun, West of the Moon...

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:32 PM

Oh absolutely, Fred! I just popped outside and measured out how big it actually was in the sky, and I can assure you that it was a LOT bigger in 1965!

My experience, as well! :lol:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics