Explore Scientific 14mm 100 availability

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:22 PM

The older ES boxes are actually better than the fancy new ones. Sturdier, and the inside packing comes out nicely (or stays in) to fit into an eyepiece case. The newer boxes are flimsier and not as versatile. (They are pretty, though.)

#27 Pollux556

Pollux556

Apollo

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:53 AM

The older ES boxes are actually better than the fancy new ones. Sturdier, and the inside packing comes out nicely (or stays in) to fit into an eyepiece case. The newer boxes are flimsier and not as versatile. (They are pretty, though.)

Good to know. So the best thing is the newer EP in the older box. :lol:

#28 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:13 AM

Have to agree about the boxes, those older dark boxes were sturdy, the new ones are pretty, but if the box tipped (i.e. slides across your car seat as you make that Mario Andretti turn), or it's turned upside down, that flap isn't going to hold the contents in.........tis pretty though.

#29 Lamb0

Lamb0

Vanguard

• Loc: South Eastern(ish) Nebraska

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:49 AM

:john: To my eyes the 14ES100 is an excellent ocular - but a 13Ethos it ain't! The pincushion reminds me of a Type 5 Nagler (between a 26T5 and a 31T5) with a significantly larger AFoV. Unlike the Ethos it has a pale cola tint (I'm not a coffee drinker), but I still enjoy the extremely well corrected FoV.

IMHO, comparing and using the ES100s and Ethoi in <f/5 Newtonians without a Paracorr is ignoring half the benefit of such well corrected eyepieces. Coma is proportional to AFoV and you don't have to hide the astigmatism anymore! :beat:

#30 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

• Loc: Canada

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:02 PM

Two observing friends I know did a comparo between the 14mm ES 100 and a 13mm TV Ethos. They both agreed that it was easier to view through the 14mm ES 100!

I can't remember exactly what it was they liked better, but I asked last night and one of them said that the 14mm ES 100° had more comfort IIRC. He did say that the 13mm Ethos had better edge correction and it was sharper in the center....so it appears it was just a "comfort" thing, and not optical. From a lot of reports here however, people say the 13mm Ethos is overall better because it has just the right amount of eye relief for eyeglass wearers and the top eye lens is not recessed like the 14mm ES 100 is.

Apparently ES will eventually stop recessing their top eyelenses in the future....let's just say a little bird told me :lol: !!!! :jump:

I'd love to check out the 13mm Ethos myself even though I did have a peek through it, at the time it was a new thing to me and my memory of looking through it is lost.

Either way, I am really liking the 14mm ES 100, and I can't afford to buy Ethos eyepieces.

#31 bremms

bremms

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SC

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:15 PM

Never used them side by side. My 14mm 100 deg ES cost 1/3 of an Ethos I'm not expecting a perfect EP. If I want superb CFOV sharpness and very little I'll get out some Brandons.
In my longer focus scopes a Zeiss Huygens is a really good EP. The ES 14 is a great EP for the price. It weighs a ton though. Love it when you see one on the back of a 80mm or smaller APO.

#32 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:27 PM

Never used them side by side. My 14mm 100 deg ES cost 1/3 of an Ethos I'm not expecting a perfect EP. If I want superb CFOV sharpness and very little I'll get out some Brandons.
In my longer focus scopes a Zeiss Huygens is a really good EP. The ES 14 is a great EP for the price. It weighs a ton though. Love it when you see one on the back of a 80mm or smaller APO.

Or a 31 Nagler. Eek!
A few years ago, I did a test report on a William Optics 80mm refractor designed to use binoviewers. It was shortened and the length of the back end was almost equally as long as the scope--it looked like a "V".
I attach an image. In contrast, a 14x100 ES would seem small :grin:.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics