• Loc: Ayrshire, Scotland

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:31 AM

A beautiful pair, you've done an excellent job, they look like new. :bow:

#78 mustgobigger

mustgobigger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:32 AM

Thanks Brian, If yours is a Tasco 7T a.k.a. Astro Optical S5 you might be surprised,I was. You got to check it out. The 7Te-5 is no slacker either. But I like the older 7T better. :grin:

still have the ota from my first scope...7te-5
ill get it out for a test run soon...i keep saying that. :lol:

#79 dgreyson

dgreyson

Viking 1

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:38 AM

Larry, I'm not one to upset original paint or finish ,unless it is absolutely necessary ........ All the above takes a little longer to do,BUT ....., collectors prefer ORIGINAL PAINT.

Awesome!! I always cringe when someone "improves" a finish with absolutely incorrect "Urethane" or so forth almost as much as I do when some idiot guts an antique floor radio to make a tacky ersatz liquor cabinet out of it!

If the finish is totally trashed, sure, years of mouse pee out in the barn can ruin a lot of things past saving, but most stuff can be brought back from the dead with just a little elbow grease.

#80 Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ca.

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:18 AM

Tom very nice restoration!

I'm very interested in trying out the linseed oil/mineral spirits. Thanks!

A lot of elbow grease has made them both look beautiful!

Bill

#81 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Apollo

• Loc: N.E. Ohio

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:02 AM

Hello Tom, could you post a close up photo of the leg chains and associated hardware on the 7T scope? Do you know if they are the original ones, or did you buy/fabricate your own? What is the length of the chains for each leg...10-12 inches?

Thanks, Stephen

Well , tomorrow came and today is today and here is your requested pictures :lol:

Attached Files

#82 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Apollo

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:03 AM

#2 chain

Attached Files

#83 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Apollo

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:04 AM

#3 chain

Attached Files

#84 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Apollo

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:24 AM

Larry, I'm not one to upset original paint or finish ,unless it is absolutely necessary ........ All the above takes a little longer to do,BUT ....., collectors prefer ORIGINAL PAINT.

Awesome!! I always cringe when someone "improves" a finish with absolutely incorrect "Urethane" or so forth almost as much as I do when some idiot guts an antique floor radio to make a tacky ersatz liquor cabinet out of it!

If the finish is totally trashed, sure, years of mouse pee out in the barn can ruin a lot of things past saving, but most stuff can be brought back from the dead with just a little elbow grease.

...AMEN , BROTHER !!!... ;)

#85 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:43 AM

I always cringe when someone "improves" a finish with absolutely incorrect "Urethane" or so forth almost as much as I do when some idiot guts an antique floor radio to make a tacky ersatz liquor cabinet out of it!

Ahem, I take that somewhat personally, as I've sprayed more than one tripod with that aforementioned absolutely incorrect finish, as well as used also equally incorrect modern wood oils of various types on various astronomical and other "restorations". In many years of vintage restorations and repairs, I've seldom encountered any oil finishes at all....they just aren't real-life durable enough. In addition, I've sanded off the authentic rust from more than one piece and sprayed it with totally modern semi-gloss paint, and have also removed and replaced vintage hard-as-rock grease now and then.....My recently 'ruined, by some accounts' Kasahi scope's tripod had a strange yellowish varnish-stain of some sort on it (what was left of it) that I sanded some and recoated, splotchy look and all..... but on the other hand, I rubbed with rubbing compound the OTA, focuser, and dew shield, and then waxed them.

Please keep in mind that the organic varnishes and lacquers and shellacs of old are no longer made, except in small and very pricy batches, usually used by musical instrument restorers and the like. Some of them practically require a hazmat suit to apply. Also, many manufacturers had secret-formula tinted finishes that are very difficult to duplicate.

Would I polyurethane a 400-year-old violin? of course not!
Would I urethane a 30-year-old ex-broken cheap one I got at the dump and hand it to the 12-year-old up the road? Yep.

Would I strip-to-the-aluminum a chipped ,scratched, oxidized, 50-year-old mount with the slo-mo's frozen into their bushings and repaint it? Many on this forum have, and gotten many compliments for how nice they look. Would I buff out and apply nitrocellulose lacquer to a truly antique Brashears scope? Probably not. But, some do.

There's a difference between a hack job and putting hours into carefully cleaning the crud out of the corners with a toothbrush and a dental pick and refinishing it as close to vintage as possible. If you're lucky and got a really nice one like Tom did, well then, spit-and-polish will do the trick. That's not always the case.

Ya know, my 55 year-old Asahi (Pentax) 60mm is regarded as a higher-end scope of its era, but.....the mount really needs to be - and will get - shimmed so it doesn't wiggle around, the slo-mo's, even carefully cleaned and regreased and adjusted, don't work smoothly, the tripod is wobbly, the finder is so small as to be pretty much useless on anything dimmer than Jupiter, and the optics, even used with more modern higher-performance EP's, won't split the double-double.... Most of the scopes we revere were mass-produced, export-market scopes, likely as not built on machines worn out and no longer able to make precision parts because they had run 7/24 for 20 years making military products, assembled with the knowledge that 2/3rds of them wouldn't catch photons more than a dozen times, and I truly wonder how many of 'em that we have oh-so-carefully restored will catch photons more than a dozen more times.

Not all of us have the time, the skill, or the desire, to be perfectionists. Not everything needs to be, or indeed can ever again be, museum quality. Each and every scope saved from the dumpster is a good thing, let's celebrate its rebirth!

So that's my two cents, but as my avatar states, I'm a curmudgeon.........

Russ

#86 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Ranger 4

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:53 AM

Very nice work! I look forward to seeing your restoration of the case.

#87 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Apollo

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:43 PM

Well its been fun, but this project is done. I finished the box , or case , if you will,today. This wooden case is not in "Like New" condition. I opted for the "Clean Distressed" look, "Antique" look. No heavy sanding went on here. No new stain and finish either. A few dings and scratches hear and there, I like that. I call them beauty marks, :lol: After all it took 44 years to obtain all that beauty or battle scars,, what ever way you look at it. I have scars also :lol: it took 60 years to get mine. :lol: and I'm no beauty. :lol: I just went over it with the old 0000 steel wool and equal parts of mineral spirts and boiled linseed oil trick, and finished with Johnson's paste wax, added the brass corner protectors and buffed all hardware and screws and polished.

The End, "Thank You, Thank You Very Much" :bow: Tom

Attached Files

#88 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Apollo

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:44 PM

#2 box

Attached Files

#89 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Apollo

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:45 PM

#3 box

Attached Files

#90 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Apollo

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:45 PM

#4 box

Attached Files

#91 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Apollo

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:46 PM

#5 box

Attached Files

#92 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Apollo

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:54 PM

Oh buy the way, the syrofoam inserts are in the house drying off , washed with soap and water. If anybody cares. :lol:

#93 Dave M

Dave M

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ohio

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:20 PM

That turned out real nice, so now its on to the next project.

#94 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Ranger 4

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:34 PM

Nice job on the case, too. :waytogo: I forgot though, that the 7TE-5 case used styrofoam inserts. I have a trio of 7TEs on the project shelf. I was looking to see how you might have replaced the green foam-turned-to-chauk in the case.

#95 madeline

madeline

Viking 1

• Loc: Bloomington, MN

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:39 PM

Very nice job.

#96 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: New York (Long Island)

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:39 AM

Tom, it looks good. Nice job.

Rich (RLTYS)

#97 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• Loc: East of the Sun, West of the Moon...

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:23 AM

Wonderful thread, Tom! Thanks for sharing this with the forum, I'm sure that it'll encourage others to tackle similar projects.

Fred

#98 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Apollo

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:14 PM

Wonderful thread, Tom! Thanks for sharing this with the forum, I'm sure that it'll encourage others to tackle similar projects.

Fred

Thanks Fred; I could only hope so...Tom

#99 terraclarke

terraclarke

Aurora

• Loc: The Bluegrass State

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:24 PM

Beautiful job all around. That cabinet is magnificent.

#100 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Apollo

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:20 PM

Thanks Terra, and everyone else for the kind comments. I only hope that everyone enjoyed the thread as much as I did creating it. Not to mention bringing a diamond in the ruff back to a usefull state once again. I get as much joy out of restoreing an old telescope , as I do looking through one. Restorations help me pass the time of cloudy days and nights here in Ohio. :grin:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics