• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JMW

JMW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:00 PM

Off to Lassen National Park for 3 nights of public outreach astronomy. Our club has about 10 families who will be camping together and doing outreach astronomy at Bumppass Hell parking area. Should be a great time. Hopefully the Perceids will be showing well by midnight Sunday.

The park is very helpful. They are giving us free reserved campground sites for three nights so we can stay today. They are also waving the entrance fee for the Astronomy Society of Nevada volunteers.. 3 of our group will camp at Bumppass Hell parking area with the scopes so we don't have to pack it all up each night.

I am bringing my TEC 140 on a DM6 and a D14 Webster dob. The dob will be a good size to keep the public on the ground.

#2 JMW

JMW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:21 PM

Had a great 3 nights. Turnout was large, Saturday night was the busiest. The seeing was quite nice at 8200 feet. Saturn looked quite steady when using higher magnifications. It was nice being able to show people stuff like the veil and north america nebula at a dark site. It was easy to pick even without a filter. After packing up the scopes about midnight Sunday, we put down some pads and spent the next 90 minutes enjoying a very nice Perseid show. I saw 1 to 4 per minute.

#3 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:39 PM

Hi Jef....

Nice to hear you have 3 great nights....

And at 8200 feet, wow....must be very cold.....

Also you are able to see 1 to 4 meteors per minute ....
whereas over here in our region....very very much lesser, an hour for just one...

Regards

James Ling

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics