•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ISS with Kounotori 4 in trail

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BlueHawk08

BlueHawk08

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:10 PM

Last night I chanced to see ISS with Kounotori 4 re-supply spacecraft in trail; perfectly clear and bright. At first I wasn't sure what I was actually looking at - ISS was traveling normally WSW - ENE, max dec 88 deg, and there was a 1 - 2 mag trailing body. Checked Heavens Above and no info - so I googled ISS for recent news, and discovered that Japanese HTV Kounotori 4 resupply spacecraft had launched on 3 Aug to rendevous with ISS this morning 9 Aug.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Kounotori_4

Estimate Kounotori was 20 miles in trail of ISS at 10pm PDT last night over Western Washington. Absolutely clear sky. Beautiful, intriguing sight.

#2 panhard

panhard

It's All Good

• Moderators
  • Loc: Markham Ontario Canada

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:53 PM

Well that is a view worth talking about. :waytogo:

#3 obin robinson

obin robinson

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Jacksonville, FL

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:20 PM

I've watched the resupply freighters "chase" the ISS as well. It's pretty neat when they both are visible within an eyepiece.

obin :cool:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics