• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Ron500E

Ron500E

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois, near the River Styx

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:12 PM

It's not me but I came across this on CL. I know nothing about the person and I'm all out of my "giveaways."
Usually in the Spring/Fall, garage season time, I stock up on stuff but it didn't happen this year.

http://chicago.craig...3991532986.html

Sorry if this is inappropriate or misplaced, even sorrier if it's a scam.
Mods... feel free to remove and give me a stern warning.
Thanks,

Ron

#2 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:26 PM

Well if it said Unitrons only I'd think it's likely a scam. But this sounds maybe like a young mom wanting to raise a couple of "model" kids. Good for her. :D Mike

#3 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:02 PM

If its a scam, how much could one of us get hurt? I don't have a scope to donate but I'll kick in $20 toward one if anyone is interested.

#4 Joe Cepleur

Joe Cepleur

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Dark North Woods

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:28 PM

The listing asks for a "fine" telescope. It never hurts to have one, but even a basic telescope could introduce the Moon quite nicely.

I suspect the listing is unusual, but real.

#5 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:52 PM

Joe,

I reread the ad and didn't see the request for "fine" scope... it was "free" I think. Maybe Al is on the level and just wants to get a scope for his daughters.

#6 Sean Cunneen

Sean Cunneen

Let Me Think

• Loc: Blue Island Illinois

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:41 PM

I responded. I told them I would provide a scope under the conditions that they had to spend an evening with me learning how to use it/find stuff and they couldn't sell it. The area they live in is pretty close to some of the worst Chicago has to offer and I have worked with poor/ex-offenders for the last 6 years, so my guard is up... We'll see how it goes.

#7 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:07 PM

Week done Sean. Let us know how it works out.

#8 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• Loc: East of the Sun, West of the Moon...

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:14 PM

Sorry, but this smells to high heaven. Sean, I know you'll be careful, but... be careful. No good deed goes unpunished...

Fred

#9 Datapanic

Datapanic

Gemini

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:40 PM

There's been a wanted 'scope for kids project' on the Tucson Craigslist forever. Somebody called him out on it as he or she apparently wants lots of free things and found their listings all over CL with different variations of the same phone number.

Although it's nice to give for a worthy cause, if it sounds suspicious, I would just ignore it.

#10 Ron500E

Ron500E

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:39 AM

I responded. I told them I would provide a scope under the conditions that they had to spend an evening with me learning how to use it/find stuff and they couldn't sell it. The area they live in is pretty close to some of the worst Chicago has to offer and I have worked with poor/ex-offenders for the last 6 years, so my guard is up... We'll see how it goes.

Sean:
Far be it from me to tell you what to do but as you said... the area. Be extra careful, and although a very generous offer regarding the teaching... at night in that area... like I said, be careful.
The other side of the coin is that if a stranger wanted to spend sometime at night with my daughters, for whatever reason, I'd be suspicious beyond words.
It's a funny world, 50 years ago none of this would even be an issue. The world has changed, and in many cases not for the better I fear.
Oh well.
Thanks Again,

Ron

#11 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: New York (Long Island)

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:04 AM

You know the old saying, if it sounds too good to be true then it most likely isn't.

Rich (RLTYS)

#12 Joe Cepleur

Joe Cepleur

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Dark North Woods

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:11 AM

Indeed, my eyes are playing tricks on me. It seemed odd she specified a "fine" scope!

Could you invite the family to meet you at a club's public star party, or would that just assemble more expensive gear if things turned sour? Maybe request references from the children's school?

Knowing little of the criminal mind, I may be naive, but it would be astonishingly creative to request, specifically, a free telescope for the purpose of robbing and rolling the donor. I still suspect the request is real, if possibly also entitled.

#13 terraclarke

terraclarke

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: The Bluegrass State

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:19 AM

I'm about the most skeptical person there is, but this to me has the ring of truth. It does say free and not fine, it mentions the moon and Saturn's rings, and says it will be put to use. Moreover, it is a well written ad, obviously from an educated person. I'm inclined to believe it. However, it is always good to meet generosity with a well measured dose of caution.

#14 sgorton99

sgorton99

Soyuz

• Loc: Wisconsin, Madison

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:21 AM

"Trust but verify."

#15 Ron500E

Ron500E

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:14 PM

There was a Sears on CL for $20 OBO at a garage sale today. I figured I buy it and give it to them but it was sold by the time I got there. I'd rather spend the $20 and get scammed than to not give a scope to someone who could use it or need it because I am weary. I mean we're not talking about a 1/2 meter RCOS.

#16 terraclarke

terraclarke

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: The Bluegrass State

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:54 PM

Ron +1

#17 Sean Cunneen

Sean Cunneen

Let Me Think

• Loc: Blue Island Illinois

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:56 AM

I invited Alfredo over and I am showing him and his two cute girls Cloudynights... Say hello!

Alfredo: Hello everybody...

okay, this is Sean again, I'm back. See? he's not so ba----- Hey, put down that crowbar, Alfredo.... OUCH! <Bang, crash> What are you doing with that duct-tape smorbpphn
<sound of trunk closing, tires squeeling, much thumping...>

Play Journey, fade to black.....

#18 Ron500E

Ron500E

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:35 AM

Hello Alfredo and the two young Astronomers.
I know I speak for everyone when I say we're glad to be of help.

Ron

#19 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

• Loc: Oregon Territory

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:09 PM

I invited Alfredo over and I am showing him and his two cute girls Cloudynights... Say hello!

Alfredo: Hello everybody...

okay, this is Sean again, I'm back. See? he's not so ba----- Hey, put down that crowbar, Alfredo.... OUCH! <Bang, crash> What are you doing with that duct-tape smorbpphn
<sound of trunk closing, tires squeeling, much thumping...>

Play Journey, fade to black.....

:roflmao:

Hey Alfredo,

Now that you've taken care of Sean...

When may I expect delivery of that beautiful Brandon refractor? Be sure to pack it well, (like you packed Sean into the trunk), only with more bubble wrap! :lol:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics