Photo

Viewing sessions with my Istar127mm achro .

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 beanerds

beanerds

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Darwin Australia

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:48 AM

Hi all , Brian here from Darwin Austraila , glad to be here .
This is a thread to lighten up the feelings going on here about Istar , the good the bad and the ugly .

The good , I built my Istar 127mm achro from an awesome lense sourced from Istar , very nice lense at a great price .

The bad , I built it during last years wet season so I could not test it for a few months ,, Grrrr that's tough ! .

The ugly , nothing at all , but I got ya guys though didn't I ?

I have had a few great sessions with good friends and their refractors 100mm -150mm synta achros a C8 and an 127mm f7.5 Triplet.
All were like waiting wolves for me to finish the build , and the weather to clear , now both are done we have had a few sessions , cold beer's and great fun testing these scopes against one another .
I wont go into the ins and outs on this as I have seen here that kind of discussions causes distain amongst certian ( un-named) people here .

This thread is to hopefully go above all that jazz and talk about the good times we all have had when out under the night sky , good scopes and great company .
Leave your snobbery at home , please?.

And my Istar is certainly different , draw you own conclusions and please contribute in a positive way .
Enjoy the few photos and I hope there will be many more posted by fellow refractor lovers , and thank you very much .

Brian.

#2 beanerds

beanerds

Messenger

• -----

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:49 AM

I dropped photos down to 700x600 and still to large for the start , so here goes now .
Brian.

#3 beanerds

beanerds

Messenger

• -----

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:54 AM

one more time ?

Attached Files

#4 beanerds

beanerds

Messenger

• -----

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:56 AM

another , The white scope is my Istar 127mm f8 achromat .

Attached Files

#5 beanerds

beanerds

Messenger

• -----

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:59 AM

one more

Attached Files

#6 beanerds

beanerds

Messenger

• -----

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:01 AM

Couple more , this my old mate Peter , he owns this nice 150mm SW f8 .

Attached Files

#7 beanerds

beanerds

Messenger

• -----

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:10 AM

We were out til 3am this night looking at southern delights , comparing views , having a ball using our scopes , eg. looking thru them , using and enjoying them , not looking at them as the old saying goes .
Brian.

Attached Files

#8 tonyt

tonyt

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:42 AM

Istar do make a nice looking scope but I think your white one with silver highlight is right up there Brian. The 150mm f/10 I had for a bit had nice optics but was a little longer and heavier than I wanted to handle. Once they prove their version of the chromacorr a shorter scope combined with the correction might be attractive.

#9 T1R2

T1R2

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: NeverWhere, 35*N

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:28 AM

That's a good lookin white tube on that scope, nice

#10 Niklo

Niklo

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bavaria

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:55 AM

Hi Brian,
so you build your own refractor with the Istar lenses? It looks indeed very nice. Do you have a build report or some pictures of your building steps?
Clear skies,
Roland

#11 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:25 AM

Hi Brian....

I always envy you having a nice home , whereby you can enjoy with your Istar , whenever weather permits....

Whereas I am staying in a high-rise building , with a very limited West viewing, as such need to dismantle my equipment, bring it outside to an open area, setup and dismantle again after the viewing session..., then bring it back home, and mount it back.....

And I also cannot be like you , by purchasing the lens cell...from Istar.....and build the whole OTA....

Hope to see more report from you soon .....

Regards

James Ling

#12 Messyone

Messyone

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Down Under

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:32 AM

Said it before ...Nice scope...can't beat a white frac on a wooden tripod.... classic :goodjob: scopes are for looking at too.
Cheers mate,
Matt

#13 beanerds

beanerds

Messenger

• -----

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:09 AM

:cool: Thanks Roland , if you are interested just google 'Istar scope club' , you don't have to be a member to read the threads , just go to 'Istar ATM' then open 'Istar 127mm f8 retro fit' that me and there are 3 pages of my build there for all to see with photos , remarks and all that .
Enjoy .
Go for it you wont be disappointed .
Brian.

Hi Brian,
so you build your own refractor with the Istar lenses? It looks indeed very nice. Do you have a build report or some pictures of your building steps?
Clear skies,
Roland

#14 beanerds

beanerds

Messenger

• -----

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:43 PM

Thanks James , PM'd you .
Brian.

#15 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:59 PM

Hi Brian...

Just reply you this morning.... Coz my network hang yesterday ....

And as you have mentioned about your 'Darwin Astro Group', and its regular activities...., I am very sure we are able to hear from you , your Istar's field report soon....since the weather now is getting better...

Regards

James Ling

#16 beanerds

beanerds

Messenger

• -----

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:08 PM

Here is the moon at 3rd quarter shot taken at prime focus , 1000mm using my Sony Alpha 200 DSLR , zero work except the sizeing to fit it here .
The views thru my 14mm TV Radian mimic this well , every one that's looked thru my 127mm comment on the contrast and lack of CA , and the inky black space around the moon .
Brian.

Attached Files

#17 beanerds

beanerds

Messenger

• -----

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:11 PM

Here is probably the 'Acid' test for any refractor lense ever made , a rooftop taken in full sun with the above gear , raw shot again .
you will be hard pressed to se any CA in this photo , this was the first shot I ever took with this combo , the roof top is 500 metres up the street .

When viewing thru this lovely Istar achromat the views are the same .

Brian.

Attached Files

#18 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:47 AM

Hi Brian....

looks like your ISTAR achro is performing better than my WO88ED , in terms of the colour correction....

And so happen I am enjoying my WO88ED with my friends last night at the 1st quarter moon, I can still recall mine still have a slight CA, and I even took a photo shot but is badly taken....so better not show it here....

Regards

james Ling

Attached Files

#19 beanerds

beanerds

Messenger

• -----

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:55 PM

Thanks James , looks like you and your friends are having a great time , looking at the moon , I take it ? .
Brian.

#20 beanerds

beanerds

Messenger

• -----

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:03 PM

James,
Here are a few of my mates getting ready for a nights viewing at one of our dark sky nights here in Darwin .
Good people , good viewing , that's what its all about .
Brian.

Attached Files

#21 Kunama

Kunama

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:02 AM

All you need now Brian is to remove the Saxon script from the OTA and get an Istar sticker on it instead.

I am still waiting for Dan Crawford to finish my focuser for my 80mm f15 refractor (the brass cell one), then I can start on the Carton 80mmF15.
The Takahashi has been gathering dust due to clouds, wedding and housemoving getting in the way.

After I finish the two 80mmf15 scopes I will start on the 4"F12-F15 Steampunk to go onto my Gaunt Eq mount. You can never have too many refractors. (Having said that, I also have started drawing up for a 12.5" F6 Dob-Newt.)

#22 beanerds

beanerds

Messenger

• -----

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:38 PM

Ha ha , Matt , but I like the 'Saxon ' sticker .
the weather here is great , I will be out tonight shooting the moon at 2000mm fl with my Istar and 2x TV Powermate , looking forward to it .
Also waiting for a report on the 3 inch . ;)
Brian.

#23 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:27 PM

Hi Brian....

Hope you have a good weather for your photo shoot.....

While I will be traveling over to our army club house, for my astro friend's planned astro talk and side walk event.....

And of course, my 8" ISTAR be there........and I will see how well it is going to perform on the 11 days old moon and giant gas planet Saturn....

REgards

James Ling

#24 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:44 AM

Hi Brian....

How is your last weekend for your photo shoot????

Over here in my army club house, i am enjoying it with groups of people that I never met them before.....

And it seems that I am enjoying spending an hour to set up my 8" ISTAR , just for 3 hrs of the event, then spending another hour to dismantle and load back into my car.....
All these didn't consider time at my home side for the loading and unloading for before and after the event...

As for me, I think enjoying this hobby is more important, by bringing the fun to all people who are interested, and showing them something they have not seen in their life.

This photo shows me setting my 8" ISTAR up for the 11 days old moon, while group of people gathers around me, waiting for the session to begin....

Regards

James Ling

Attached Files

#25 beanerds

beanerds

Messenger

• -----

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:44 AM

Cool photo James , I love your scope mate .

I forgot to mention this , I live 100 metres from 2 shopping complexes in the centre of a city of 40,000 so the light pollution here is horrendous at home , this is where this shot was taken from , my front deck .
Awsome contrast , this scope .

I had a family around the other night for a look at the moon and Saturn before it goes and I will post a few more photos when I down load them .

Brian.

Here is the moon at 3rd quarter shot taken at prime focus , 1000mm using my Sony Alpha 200 DSLR , zero work except the sizeing to fit it here .
The views thru my 14mm TV Radian mimic this well , every one that's looked thru my 127mm comment on the contrast and lack of CA , and the inky black space around the moon .
Brian.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics