NOT a good start. Celestron AVX here a NO GO

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#1 Laminarman

Laminarman

Vostok 1

• Loc: New York

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:18 PM

My new Advanced VX came today, so psyched. I read the manual ahead of time, got all set up. My FIRST EQ mount. Plugged in the AC adapter. No power. Quadruple checked all cables, connections..etc. No go. Took the cover off the power board, all connections look fine, everything's tight, looked at the power plug internally, getting voltage from the adapter (12v) and at the plug. No go. So freaking bummed out. Actually *BLEEP* is more like it. Power switch on and off and on and off...no go. Calling either Celestron or Optcorp in the AM to see what the next step is. I will keep you posted.

#2 frito

frito

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Fremont, CA

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:46 PM

sounds like you got a lemon :( I've seen a number of posts sense the AVX came out that turned out to be bad mounts, most of them worked at first then crapped out but I think your the first one that i've seen that got a DOA mount. I'm sure OPT will fix you up ASAP, if not Celestron will but as you are within the return time peroid OPT will probably want to take care of it for you so you don't have to deal with Celestron direct.

#3 schluterdude

schluterdude

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Centerville, OH

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:27 PM

Bummer man :-(. Is voltage getting past the switch?

#4 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:58 PM

Bummer man :-(. Is voltage getting past the switch?

That's a good question - especially if it uses the same switch as the CG5-GT. I've seen several of those that stopped making properly (including one of mine).

#5 frito

frito

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Fremont, CA

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:07 PM

I thought the new switch was supposed to be one of the best updates to the AVX. considering its brand new and DOA probably best not to dig too deep trying to fix it, could void the warranty and cause problems even though it may be a simple fix as a switch.

#6 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:44 AM

That's a good question - especially if it uses the same switch as the CG5-GT.

It doesn't.

#7 Laminarman

Laminarman

Vostok 1

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:54 AM

I'm only mildly adept at electronics troubleshooting. I don't have confidence in the plug/power port connection. Seems rather loose. But I can get 12 volts at the backside of the powerport internally so I assume it's getting juice at least to that point. There is nothing exposed enough for me to get my multimeter probes onto past that. The power port has two wires and a plug which goes onto the board, the the male end of the pins accepting that plug are soldered to the board, and testing those with power on shows only .01 volts, so I'm not confident I'm getting power to the board. Hope I didn't confuse anyone. My fear is they start throwing parts one by one at it when in reality I want a new board/powerport and switch and to get up and running ASAP. Ideally, they overnight a new EQ mount and I send this one back, less tripod.

#8 Cliff Hipsher

Cliff Hipsher

Apollo

• ***--
  • Loc: North Chesterfield, VA

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:33 AM

Pictures would help, but then again this is a new mount that is DOA. Time to get Celestron or the vendor on the phone and negotiate a replacement, and I would ask for free shipping BOTH ways.

Sadly, I'm looking at a mount upgrade in a few months and I had high hopes for the AVX. If they can't maintain quality standards on simple things like this, how can one trust the finished product?

#9 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:42 AM

Cliff,

Are you really going to base your purchase on this one instance?

Stan

#10 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:42 AM

Pictures would help, but then again this is a new mount that is DOA. Time to get Celestron or the vendor on the phone and negotiate a replacement, and I would ask for free shipping BOTH ways.

Sadly, I'm looking at a mount upgrade in a few months and I had high hopes for the AVX. If they can't maintain quality standards on simple things like this, how can one trust the finished product?

I wouldn't condemn the mount based on this.

OP:

I wouldn't go much farther. Call the folks who sold it to you (not Celestron) and arrange for a swap-out.

I would try a different power source, the DC cable and a 12-volt battery or your car, and maybe spread the pin-halves of the mount side connector a bit (gently, with a small knife), even though you've seen voltage on the other side.

Does the pilot light, light? Be aware that unlike the CG5, this mount takes a little longer to boot. At least 5-seconds.

#11 Dave M

Dave M

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ohio

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:57 AM

[/quote]

OP:

I wouldn't go much farther. Call the folks who sold it to you (not Celestron) and arrange for a swap-out.

I would try a different power source, the DC cable and a 12-volt battery or your car, and maybe spread the pin-halves of the mount side connector a bit (gently, with a small knife), even though you've seen voltage on the other side.

Does the pilot light, light? Be aware that unlike the CG5, this mount takes a little longer to boot. At least 5-seconds. [/quote]

Ide agree with Rod`s excellent advise here..

#12 Laminarman

Laminarman

Vostok 1

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:29 AM

OP:

Does the pilot light, light? Be aware that unlike the CG5, this mount takes a little longer to boot. At least 5-seconds.

I spread the pins ever so slightly and no, the light does not light. I wouldn't condemn my purchase, I think it's a fine made and sturdy, manageable piece. I hope they make it right. I'm sure you can understand...a new piece of equipment that doesn't work and on top of that...clouds. I love new toys and I didn't get to play. :crazy:

#13 Dave M

Dave M

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:45 AM

Did you contact the place you bought it from ?

#14 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:05 AM

And did you try an alternate power source?

#15 Laminarman

Laminarman

Vostok 1

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:26 AM

On the phone now with OPT. And yes, battery power didn't work either.

#16 Dave M

Dave M

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:29 AM

Your in good hands, those guys take good care of their customers.

#17 schluterdude

schluterdude

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Centerville, OH

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:32 AM

If the power light isn't coming on, without knowing how its wired (haven't taken mine apart) I'd suspect the switch is kaputt. Although, if the LED is run from the board, then it's a board. Or possibly a bad wire.

#18 Laminarman

Laminarman

Vostok 1

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:23 AM

OK, here's where we are: guys at OPT did a walk through of what I should do to trouble shoot the mount, all of which I did and failed to fix the problem. So as soon as I ship out the head and hand controller and give them a tracking number, they'll ship me out a new one. Will keep you all posted.

#19 Dave M

Dave M

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:58 AM

Thats Great! news.. :waytogo:

#20 faltered

faltered

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:48 PM

yes, dont condemn the AVX cause of this - i would absolutely go with it again. OPT is awesome and they will make it right. Call it back luck and I am sure the replacement will be just fine.

The AVX has really been getting some positive feedback from users.

Its a good mount.

#21 Cliff Hipsher

Cliff Hipsher

Apollo

• ***--
  • Loc: North Chesterfield, VA

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:06 PM

Cliff,

Are you really going to base your purchase on this one instance?

Stan

Not entirely. However, it is easier for me to accept someone missing an obscure "bug" in code than it is for me to accept missing something as basic is the thing won't power up....

#22 bilgebay

bilgebay

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Turkiye - Istanbul and Marmaris

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:19 PM

There should be a fuse inside the plug, have you checked that ?

I was told by Celestron's Lance, who is in charge of the mounts, that most of the AVX failures were caused by low or wrong voltage. I have been using mine for the last 4 months without a glitch. Gotos are incredible dead on. I love this mount!

#23 Ultron

Ultron

Vostok 1

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:07 PM

Are you reading 12V at the back of the power plug with power on? If it drops when you turn on power, it could be a bad supply. I'd try a different supply. Also, did you say the power plug has wires and has a connector on the end that plugs into the power board? If so, unplug the connector, if its a female connector on the cable, poke some metal paper clips in there (make sure no power connected when you set this up, and keep them away from each other) and put your test leads on the paper clips. If you get 12V once you plug it in, that would tell you the cable and plug is ok.

#24 cn register 5

cn register 5

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:36 PM

I'm not sure why people post this sort of thing here, even before contacting the supplier. We can't make it work, the suppler has a responsibility to do so.

Chris.

#25 Dave M

Dave M

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:31 PM

Because someone else may experienced the same issue and had a simple/immediate remedy.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics