NOT a good start. Celestron AVX here a NO GO

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#76 Laminarman

Laminarman

Vostok 1

• Loc: New York

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:22 PM

I am the original poster here, and finally an update. I received a replacement mount today. Plugged it in, works. Imagine that. So yes, there may have been a bad mount that slipped. So what? That DOES NOT MATTER, I will continue to buy Celestron products. But from who?

NOW, and I don't want to complain because I got a new EQ head, but OPT could have handled this differently. Vinnie told me to send it back and when he had a tracking number to call him, he'd send one right out. He also said "Do NOT write or mark on the original box the mount was in since we re-use them and Celestron gives us a hard time." So I had Pack-N-Mail put it in a bigger box, put peanuts in it, pack it up and ship it for $55 since I respected his request and felt he would attempt to reciprocate. I told him I paid shipping so if he could expedite it for my upcoming nights of observing I would appreciate it greatly. He said "I'll do what I can." Took a whole week to get here ground. The $55 is not the big deal, I can afford that, I just think it could have been handled better so I'm not sure where my next purchase comes from. So now two weeks later almost, finally have a mount and it's freaking raining....

I don't expect them to not make a profit, but maybe two or three day would have been nice rather than eight day. Sure would have assured my future business with them. Or maybe they could have reimbursed what I paid to ship it to them. I could have slapped a label on the original box and shipped it for $30 and not worried about what Celestron told them.

I try not to be too critical, but I run a business and the customer service is reflected in what the employees do when things go WRONG, not right. Service Recovery is what separates the men from the boys in retail. I like OPT, just a bit disappointed in this transaction.

I will post a first light when it stops raining, I'm just not sure anyone will learn anything from this newbie...

#77 nodalpoint

nodalpoint

Apollo

• Loc: FEMA camp

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:27 PM

They should have picked up the return shipping. The product didn't work, you did nothing wrong so why should you be made to pay extra for a faulty item?

The bright side is, you have choices who to purchase from.

#78 beanerds

beanerds

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Darwin Australia

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:12 AM

Bang on , my brand new IoptronIEQ45 would not boot up , kept saying 'initialise firmware ' ??? , I posted here and had it fixed in 5 minuites , it was the micro sim in the hand controller , it had worked loose in transport , unscrewed 4 screws and removed the back , slipped it back in and 3 years later its not missed a beat .
Thanks CN's people .
Perfect goto's every time , I love mine .
Brian.

Because someone else may experienced the same issue and had a simple/immediate remedy.

#79 Susan H

Susan H

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:05 AM

I've been following this thread, and I'm about to go through the same thing. I purchased my AVX mount Wednesday, I couldn't take it out until last night. Plugged it in with the AC adapter I purchased. Nothing. Then we tried the supplied DC adapter, still nothing. It worked Wednesday when I was given a tutorial on how it worked. Then we packed it back into the box for me to bring home. Put it all back together like instructed and zip. So, I guess I'm taking back to the dealer and getting a new one. Buggers.

#80 Laminarman

Laminarman

Vostok 1

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:49 AM

So, two dead on arrivals? It's a neat mount, I just need to figure out how to use it now. Tonight should be clear...

#81 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SLC, UT

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:55 AM

Dittos on OPT customer service... I have had it with ordering a componet then after a few days,,,, we dont have item in stock... An e-mail/phone call notification would be nice and they are not alone. I prefer to give buisness to Astro-specific places but have about had it with some of them... Would a notification via e-mail with a tracking number be so bad or difficult? On-line bundlers (amazon) do it????? Just a side note, the $55.00 you put out for shipping that was not reimbersed,,, I wonder how much that could cost them from lost buisness???? :question:
Kasey

#82 pdxmoon

pdxmoon

Apollo

• Loc: Oregon

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:11 AM

When an item does not work, it should be the vendor's responsibility to reclaim it at their cost. Period. At least, that's what my Daddy taught me on how to run a business.

I'll be carefully checking the return policy fine print before anyone gets my business from now on.

#83 Susan H

Susan H

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:32 PM

I'm impressed with where I purchased my AVX from. I took it back this morning, they checked it out, still didn't work. They called Celestron and a new one is on it's way. Suppose to be here next week. Stay tuned... :grin:

#84 greedyshark

greedyshark

Viking 1

• Loc: 3rd Rock

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:55 PM

I'm surprised that OPT did not pick up the return shipping. I would have demanded it given the mount was DOA. Thanks for the warning.

Charles

#85 Susan H

Susan H

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:53 PM

Update on my AVX mount. I got it back today and plugged it in, nothing! I got my household current cord, it fired right up. I didn't have it plugged in all the way to my power tank. :o Once that was corrected it did fine. Now, I just have to figure out how to use it. It's pretty straight forward, but I'm so new to this I don't want to break it. :shrug:

#86 seawolfe

seawolfe

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: N 47.11.23 W 122.20.18

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:38 AM

Do you have a bad power supply plug? If the mount is good back from Celestron / dealer, then is your power cord (either DC plug or AC adapter) bad?

#87 Susan H

Susan H

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:07 AM

I didn't have it pushed into the power tank all the way. Once that was corrected it did just fine. Today I'm going to set it up in my living room and "play", to try and figure things out. I do have a question regarding the clutches. How tight should they be? I left them completely off and it went every where. But, I realized later after watching a video someone posted, the OTA is not balanced. Duh. I balanced the RA side okay. I figure once I get every thing in balance it's just a matter of getting out there and tracking. I plan in getting up early tomorrow morning and checking out Jupiter, M42 and other goodies in that area. :bounce:

#88 MartinTreadgold

MartinTreadgold

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:10 AM

I lock my clutches all the way. well, don't force them, but they should be secure

#89 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:16 AM

just a little below and north of jupiter you should see mars as well,,, good viewing to you,
Kasey

#90 Laminarman

Laminarman

Vostok 1

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:37 AM

I have a dumb question, somewhat related. If I view tonight, and my scope gets slightly dewy wet (SV 102ED), can i cover it with a cover (like a BBQ grill cover) and leave it OK? Does anyone worry about the dew trapped under the cover? The plan is to hibernate it while I grab some shut eye then get up again and view.

#91 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:49 AM

I have a dumb question, somewhat related. If I view tonight, and my scope gets slightly dewy wet (SV 102ED), can i cover it with a cover (like a BBQ grill cover) and leave it OK? Does anyone worry about the dew trapped under the cover? The plan is to hibernate it while I grab some shut eye then get up again and view.

Laminarman,

Well I don't have as much dew in New Mexico as you may have, but I do worry about rain. For my LX850, I temporarily went with a BBQ cover for the mount, using a 1" nylon strap around the middle to hold it in place. This worked surprisingly well.

Now I have a Telegizmos 365 cover (there are several models to choose from). Folks even in Florida and the soggy SE have had great success with it.

#92 MartinTreadgold

MartinTreadgold

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:53 AM

You can buy a Dew Shield and Dew Heating system when in use, but, I wouldn't leave your scope unnecessarily outside when not in use.

Dew Shield and Dew Heater should be enough.

#93 Laminarman

Laminarman

Vostok 1

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:40 AM

I'm not getting dew on the lenses, the whole scope seems to get "moist." I'm more concerned about doing this over and over and getting corrosion from moisture on metal?

#94 Susan H

Susan H

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:43 AM

There may be another issue now. I start a two star alignment and the RA motor does it's thing, but the Dec motor does nothing, you can hear it, but nothing moves. What am I missing here? I've made sure that the scope is balanced and that I've done a polar alignment as well. The clutches are loose, but not too loose. Could the dec motor have gone out? I try the direction arrows (up and down) nothing happens, or it's incredibly slow and I can't see it. The cable to the dec motor is connected too. Could it be bad? I've followed the instructions to the letter. HELP! :help:

#95 John608

John608

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: California

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:29 AM

HI Susan,
Since you say you can hear the motor running but the mount is not moving in Dec it sounds like the clutches need to be tightened. The clutches need to be tight for the motors to engage with the axis of the telescope. If the clutches are loose you can move the mount on its axis without the motors being on, when the clutches are tight the axis will only move in direct response to the motors. You want the clutches tight most of the time, the only time to loosen them is to manually return the mount to its index positions, or balance the mount when mounting a scope.

John G.

#96 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:50 AM

Why are the clutches loose when using the electronics (motors) to drive the unit?
Kasey

#97 Susan H

Susan H

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:52 AM

John thank you! Problem solved! Went and tightened up the clutches and it tracked just right! Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'll be out tonight under the stars looking around. :yay:

#98 Susan H

Susan H

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:54 AM

Hey Kasey, cause I'm such a noob at this! John helped out. I'm on a learning curve here. :o

#99 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:38 AM

LOL we all been there and done that :tonofbricks:
Kasey

#100 John608

John608

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: California

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:25 PM

Great Susan! I remember that as like so many things in life I learned it the hard way! Have fun looking up!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics