• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#26 Alein 1630

Alein 1630

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dutchess Count,y NY

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:20 PM

Just got in from first light with the 30mm ES 82 in my backyard.

Limiting mag here is about 4.0, as I live in the city. I let my scope cool down for two hours before even starting. I got outside and put the 30mm ES 82 in the focuser and aimed it right at Altair and the other star near it...both stars were in the field.

Both stars were very sharp with slight flaring which is to be expected at such a low power. I then locked onto the Coathanger cluster which fit in the FOV with ease. Nice views! For fun, I then took Altair in Aquila and centered it. I took this fairly bright star and I slowly started to go towards the edge of the field. The star stayed sharp almost all the way to the edges......There is slight coma from the mirror, but correction in this EP is excellent....I was grinning from ear to ear. So far, so good! +1.

The moon was up in the south, so I plopped in my 13% transmission Antares ND filter, then the 30mm ES 82.

WHAT A VIEW !!!! :shocked: The entire half moon was super sharp, and had excellent contrast. This was also first light for my 13% transmission Antares moon filter as well tonight. +1 here also!

I also took the moon and slowly panned the scope so that it would go near the edges of the FOV ~ it stayed sharp to about 90%. This eyepiece is what I have been wanting for ages. Why I didn't get one long ago is beyond me. The sharpness and correction is incredible in this eyepiece. There is a "blue ring of fire" at the field stop, but it isn't something I'd complain about since 90% of the field is sharp. :drool5:

Eye placement: Perfect. Only very slight kidney bean blackouts, but nothing too bad at all. IIRC, the 34mm ES 68 was worse in that regard, but I am not positive. I also tried viewing through the 30mm ES 82 with my reading glasses as I draw objects I view a lot. I can still see the entire field stop if I tilt my head back & forth. I didn't think it would be possible, but I could still see the entire view with my glasses on. +1 there. The actual eye relief was just right...I just barely rested my eye socket into the eye-cup to see the field stop. Very nice. +1 again.

It's a bit heavy, but I just tighten up my focuser a bit and also the compression ring....and also my tension handles on the side of my scope and I can view with it from 20° to 90° in the sky without any balance problems.

I also had a look at a group of stars around Deneb in Cygnus and all were nice little pinpoints, and then I swung over to M-71 and finally M-27 in Vulpecula. I'm really going to be liking this eyepiece ~ A LOT !!!

So....tomorrow night I'll be heading to the darker site I frequent for a nice run with this again. In the meantime, I eagerly await for the Double Cluster to get really high tonight to see how it looks in the 30mm ES 82.

This is one eyepiece I should have bought a very long time ago !!!! It isn't going anywhere !!!

I am very happy with first light. I'll report back here tomorrow night after I get it to better skies.

Cheers,

Awesome report :bigshock: :goodjob: :like: :yay: :drool5:

Really wish I'd've gotten this instead of the 36mm Hyperion. Never crossed my mind though.
Cannot say that I am not happy with it though :grin:

#27 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:24 AM

Well guys,

I was able to get the 30mm ES 82 out to darker skies last night.....all I can say is:

SMOKIN' HOT EYEPIECE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:jump: :jump::jump: :jump: :jump:

I used it for most of the night....had it on The Double Cluster, M-31, M-33, NGC-281, The Veil Nebula, M-52, and a few more. I usually flip eyepieces pretty fast but I have finally found a low-power, wide field that will stay in my eyepiece case forever. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love the 30mm ES 82 bigtime.

EXPLORE SCIENTIFIC EYEPIECES ROCK :rockon: AND THE PEOPLE AT ES ROCK TOO....EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE !!!!!!!!!
AGENA ASTRO ROCKS TOO :rockon:

OK, I will calm down now, LOL!

Cheers,

#28 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:30 AM

Yes, it's quite good, right? ;)

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#29 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:43 AM

Oh, did I forget to say it was good?

BTW, it was really good !!! LOL!

:watching: :goodjob: :banjodance: :pulpdnc: :coolnod: :whee:

#30 Damo636

Damo636

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Co Fermanagh, Northern Ireland

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:45 AM

I usually flip eyepieces pretty fast but I have finally found a low-power, wide field that will stay in my eyepiece case forever. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bigshock: :applause:

#31 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:33 AM

What did your mama tell you about making promises........ :shrug:

#32 sopticals

sopticals

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Zealand

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:10 AM

Yep. A great ocular. Super in large fast (f4.7) dob.

Stephen.(45deg.S.)

#33 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• -----
  • Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:41 PM

Great report Markus.
The 30mm was the first of the ES 82* eyepiece I purchased.
But not the last....
I love using the 30mm in my TMB130 that has an agreeably flat field. The view of M31 with that set up is one of the best I have seen.
I also use the 30mm in my C11, and that's another great combination. The only negative thing I can mention is the weight. It's one HEAVY eyepiece.
I typically have to balance whatever scope I am using to work with the 30mm.
But here's a tip.
If you love the 30mm, you'll also love the 24mm 82*.
It provides a similar experience to the 30mm, of course with more magnification, but weighs about a pound less than the 30mm.
Both are top notch eyepieces.

Steve

#34 loudupe

loudupe

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:17 PM

Well guys,

I was able to get the 30mm ES 82 out to darker skies last night.....all I can say is:

SMOKIN' HOT EYEPIECE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:jump: :jump::jump: :jump: :jump:

I used it for most of the night....had it on The Double Cluster, M-31, M-33, NGC-281, The Veil Nebula, M-52, and a few more. I usually flip eyepieces pretty fast but I have finally found a low-power, wide field that will stay in my eyepiece case forever. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love the 30mm ES 82 bigtime.

EXPLORE SCIENTIFIC EYEPIECES ROCK :rockon: AND THE PEOPLE AT ES ROCK TOO....EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE !!!!!!!!!
AGENA ASTRO ROCKS TOO :rockon:

OK, I will calm down now, LOL!

Cheers,

After all this hype you've already sold it? :question:

#35 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:29 PM

The 30mm ES 82 is an excellent eyepiece with awesome correction. Eye relief is listed at 21mm, so I figured I may be able to use my glasses when viewing through this eyepiece.

No dice! It ain't gonna happen! I tried it and it doesn't work! I prefer to keep my glasses on to read star maps and sketching instead of taking them off, so I may as well just leave them on when viewing also.

So, as my ad says, (which you have obviously read), I now need to keep my glasses on all of the time and now need long eye relief eyepieces.

:cool:

#36 loudupe

loudupe

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:48 PM

Markus, I was somewhat disappointed when I read your ad selling your 30ES82. Being new to this hobby and not knowing a hell of a lot about eyepieces, I have been relying on the wisdom of the likes of yourself to help with my education. Your enthusiasm toward this EP, as well as that of others, bolstered my decision to get one of these (not yet ordered, but soon). I hope the "glasses issue" was the only reason you let yours go. I wear glasses too but I can observe without them so I'm going to go ahead with my plans to get a 30ES82. And, if I don't like it, I can always sell it!!

#37 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:51 PM

I compared the 30MM ES 82 to the 31MM Nagler, if I didn't own the Nagler, I see no reason to get it. The 30MM ES is that good.

And don't worry about Markus he has eyepiecitis.. He needs to buy and sell otherwise he will never know what the best eyepiece out there is... :)

#38 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:16 PM

:funny:

Indeed!!! :roflmao:

Cheers,

#39 Starman81

Starman81

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:02 PM

And don't worry about Markus he has eyepiecitis.. He needs to buy and sell otherwise he will never know what the best eyepiece out there is... :)

He's coming back home where the Pentax XW roam.

#40 roadi

roadi

Apollo

• Loc: Great Grey Spot "Denmark"

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:27 AM

I compared the 30MM ES 82 to the 31MM Nagler, if I didn't own the Nagler, I see no reason to get it. The 30MM ES is that good.

The fieldstop on my ES 30mm N2 82 is harder or even impossible for me to see when viewing through the EP in daylight! Not an issue with my Nagler T6 the sharp fieldstop is easily seen!
Comparing the ES30mm with both the Nt6 and pan optics on the fieldstop I'll judge the ES in between those regarding apparent field of view and not the claimed 82deg. maybe a little closer to the Nt6. A little disappointing IMO.
Havn't looked through the 31mm Nagler but from what I've experienced so far, the TV Naglers are still the leader, and yes I'm probably going to sell the ES30mm and get the 31 Nagler. The much higher prise is worth it for me, but admitted, I am picky ;)

#41 Illinois

Illinois

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: near Dixon, Illinois USA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:16 AM

Glad you like your new ES 30mm 82 eyepiece! I love my ES 24mm 82 eyepiece on my new ES 127mmED refractor. 40 power is great for many open clusters! pinpoint stars whole view!

#42 precaud

precaud

Apollo

• Loc: north central New Mexico

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:02 AM

We need guys like him to help keep the used eyepiece marketplace populated and vibrant!

#43 Starman81

Starman81

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:38 PM

We need guys like him to help keep the used eyepiece marketplace populated and vibrant!

I agree! I overlook all his philandering as long as he always returns to Pentax XWs.

But yeah, I would love to try the ES82 30mm some day! (keeping the thread on topic)

#44 junomike

junomike

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ontario

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:02 PM

The real solution here is for Markus to keep BOTH the ES 100's AND re-acquire the XW's.
Unfortunately, that's not an option for him at the moment and he like to have minimal gear.

Mike

#45 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:42 PM

The real solution here is for Markus to keep BOTH the ES 100's AND re-acquire the XW's.
Unfortunately, that's not an option for him at the moment and he like to have minimal gear.

Mike

So true!

I have gone back and forth from long eye relief 70 degree eyepieces, over to 82 degree or more eyepieces over time.

Having both types of sets would stop all of my eyepiece-selling shenanigans! :roflmao:

#46 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:56 PM

Yea, you wouldn't want a visit from the Ghost of Pentax Past or somthing........and remember, the Pentax Buddha is making a list, and checking it twice!

#47 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:49 AM

Having both types of sets would stop all of my eyepiece-selling shenanigans!

Do you really think we're going to believe that? ;)

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#48 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:19 AM

I compared the 30MM ES 82 to the 31MM Nagler

Same here Helder! I compared it with a borrowed 31 Nagler & didn't see enough difference for me to wait a lot longer, in order to afford the 31 Nagler, and bought the 30 ES 82. Unlike someone else :grin:, this eyepiece will never leave my possession. :jump:

#49 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Soyuz

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:00 AM

I am now on my third ES82 30mm, and have owned the 31mm Nagler more times than that. The ES really is that good.

#50 JackeShan

JackeShan

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sweden, Dalarna.

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:24 AM

I'm really thinking of getting this ES 30mm as a low power eyepiece, but since a 20mm 100° is on it's way to my collection I'm not sure it is worth it.

Markus, I see that you have owned/ own both 30mm and the 20mm 100°, which would you pick as a low power eyepiece, or both? I'm contemplating whether to get both or just the 20mm and go for the 14 and 9 ES100 to fill the "gap"..

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics