Photo

Visual Observers Reports and Discussions.

• Please log in to reply
640 replies to this topic

#251 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

• Loc: North Charleston SC

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:20 PM

Tony - What scope did you get?

#252 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:51 AM

Explore Scientific AR102 with their az mount. I would have like to get an apo / ED but didn't want (need) to spend that much. This one is for open clusters primarily. It's a faster fl scope than I've had but I've been looking around for a grab and go. Our weather has been unfavorable for getting a scope out. I went out a little bit ago and it was down to 26F and 100 percent cloudy,g. Jupiter should be looking good so I'm always glad when it's back! Take care...

#253 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

• Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:00 AM

Good to see you've once again made the best of what the weather gave you Ben. I think Jupiter and M42 alone are worth the effort. Well done.
I have yet to view either this time around due to the inclement weather. Last week promised much but thin high cloud persisted. We are now, like Tony, in for a spell of cloud and rain. Thankfully, there's still plenty of time in which to turn the scope on them.

Good, luck with your new AR102 Tony. Hope it meets your needs. Looks like a really good choice. I'm toying with the idea of piggybacking a Sky Watcher Star Travel 80T on the CPC for open cluster etc.

Regards. Peter.

#254 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:59 AM

Peter - When will Jupiter and M42 be visible in your skies?

Tony - I want a nice Refractor also. Not only for visual but for AP. When I look at M45 with my 8SE, it doesn't look right, but that is because of the long focal length. Now, when I see it with my binos, you see the whole DSO and it is beautiful. Right now I am up in the air on which one I want to get. I know I want to get an APO, but I trying to figure out which one I should get.

#255 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:11 AM

Hi Ben,

They are there now in the S.E. Jupiter at just over 30deg, and M42 at 22deg at 22.00. Jupiter gets to near 60deg by 02.00 so things can only get better, if only the clouds would clear. :4 Jupiter, Orion and the rest of the winter constellation will be with me until March/April so as I said, still plenty of time.... :praying:

BTW Hows the new job going?

Regards. Peter.

#256 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:55 AM

Ben - Skywatcher apos were on sale in November. I thought seriously about the 100mm but I would have needed a mount for it. I'll keep a look out for a nice used one or something along those lines. Just depends on how much you can afford or want to spend. I hope you find one you like...

Peter - Thanks and I think it will be a good scope for what I need. Go ahead and put your Sky Watcher on your big scope and give it a go. Might be pretty nice! Jupiter and Orion are coming up later in the evening now and offering good views in my area. The only scope time I had was a week or so ago with the brute. Boy it has pinpoint optics. I'm looking for a replacement optical finder for it and a set of rings and a vixen style dove tail and I can then use it on the ES mount or I guess the Nextar mount too. Hope the weather clears for us all...

#257 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:23 AM

Peter - The new job is going ok for the moment. I work for the Dept of Defense. So, I have to wait for my paperwork to go through. In the mean time, I am getting paid to sit on my butt and surf the internet. As for winter skies, I hope they clear up for you. So you can see M42 and Jupiter with that nice CPC11. :grin:

Tony - I know. But all my extra cash was spent on Christmas for the family. I have a feeling they will go on sale again. As for a mount, I am looking at the VX mount to get started. Been looking at the SW 80ED. Since I am just really getting started in AP, I want to start off small and work my way up. Besides, I can't install an observatory, so I need something portable also.

#258 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:14 PM

Ben - I think the SW 80 or 100mm are nice scopes for the money and the reviews are fairly good here on CN. I'd lean towards the 100mm and you see good used ones come up every now and then. The VX seems to be a good mount. The only GOTO mount I have is the 6SE/8SE and it is not a bad mount all things considered. But at heart I'm always going to be a manual goto observer. I like star atlases and star hopping so I don't know that I'll get another auto mount I guess unless I get into AP. I'm mainly a visual observer and I get great satisfaction from it! I can attach my 6SCT to the ES Twilight mount or the 102 on the Nextar mount though I have to be careful because it will not clear the base. There are some nice mounts by Desert Sky Astro I've been looking at. With my interest in double stars I'll be looking for a nice apo /ED soon. It will be a longer focal length version so I can run the magnification up. I know what you mean about Chritmas. My kids are in their late 20's and the wife and I still spend more than we should on them, g. Take er easy.... Tony

#259 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:26 PM

Popped on my solar filter this morning and did an hours worth of solar observing. (what else would one do with a solar filter in place :lol:).
Conditions were far from ideal due to there being lots of thin white clouds, but it gave the scope a run out. There were two interesting Sunspot groups, one at around 5 o clock and the other at around 11 o clock. They showed some detail at x180 with the inner shape and structure showing up well.

Regards. Peter.

#260 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:56 PM

Peter, Good report and glad you were able to get out a bit and have a look at our sun. Was this with your larger scope or something different? Our last cold front has pushed through and it may be pretty clear tonight. It will be cold (for us!) with the low of around 22F. I may be able to get out and have a look around. Good to hear from you across the pond, g...

#261 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:49 AM

Hi Tony,

Many thanks for your kind words. I was working with the "big" scope (no match for "the brute") I know. :grin: . I have my home made solar filter stopped down so to speak, (the aperture is only 7") so it compares well with what would be seen via the 6 or 8 se.
I am going to put the 8se back together for use as a general "grab and go" scope.. It's just too good a scope to abandon all together. A 6se tube would be better but I'll manage with the 8se for now.

Regards. Peter.

#262 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:39 PM

Hi Tony,

Many thanks for your kind words. I was working with the "big" scope (no match for ("the brute") I know. :grin: . I have my home made solar filter stopped down so to speak, (the aperture is only 7") so it compares well with what would be seen via the 6 or 8 se.
I am going to put the 8se back together for use as a general "grab and go" scope.. It's just too good a scope to abandon all together. A 6se tube would be better but I'll manage with the 8se for now.

Regards. Peter.

Mighty fine Peter! Sounds like you have a great setup and are capable of some serious observing. Your right the 8SE definitely deserves to be used too! The last couple of nights have been fairly clear but I have not been able to get out. Tomorrow there is a good chance of rain and I'm not sure on the weekend. Sure hope it is clear though :praying: Hope you are able to get out too. Lots of good constellations coming up :waytogo: I did order and get in a pretty nice 1.25" to .965" black aluminum adapter. I've been meaning to get one and finally got around to it since I was wanting to use some nice old .965 orthos I had. Better go get another cup of coffee for the evening. Take care and maybe I can get Brenda to help be get the brute out this weekend :roflmao:

#263 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:36 PM

Finally got the ES102 out briefly this evening. I had to send the first mount back for a defect and got the replacement yesterday. Overall I'm happy with the scope and it was purchased for wider field of views for open cluster and the like. As you know with fast achromats CA begins to creep in. Jupiter definitely had some purple CA as did Venus! Maybe a Baader Fringe Filter or Semi Apo will do the trick! Again the scope is not for planets but a filter will improve the view. I briefly checked out M45 and the double cluster and oh yea :grin: just what I was looking for, g. I also checked out Alberio even though it is low in the west and it was a good view. It may need a touch of collimation but I need to spend a little more time with it. Hope you guy are getting some clear sky.... Tony

#264 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:12 AM

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the report.

Good to hear you managed to get some time in with the 102. It would appear that it worked well in the area's you wanted it to, i.e Open Clusters and the like. By the sound of things, the views of the Double cluster and M45 met with your approval. Hope they are even better when you've touch up the collimation.

As for clear skies over here, theres not been, nor are there forecast, any opportunities in the near furture. Looks likely that it will be after Christmas before I get out again.

Regards. Peter.

#265 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:37 PM

Peter - Thanks and I hope your weather improves. My daughter came down from Dallas to stay for a few days. She likes astronomy and viewing but unfortunately the weather has turned cloudy with rain and possible strong thunderstorm later tonight or am. No observing for a few days and then we hit the road for come Christmas visiting. Hope you get some much clearer skies soon! We are getting in to one of my favorite observing seasons! Tony

#266 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:04 AM

Looks like I'll be getting a Christmas present from Santa. Forecast calls for clear skies on Christmas Eve. I'll be hosting a holiday party with my in-laws and all the kids so we can search the nights sky for Santa's sleigh.

#267 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:12 AM

Good work on "getting a present" Ben. :grin: Hope the party goes well. Don't forget to let us have the co-ords should you be sucessful in sighting Santa :roflmao:

Regards. Peter.

#268 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:31 AM

James - Man that's great! Hope you get great views! Send it my way as we currently have storms rolling in :( It may clear off hopefully this evening but it is supposed to be windy. Have fun... Tony

#269 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:09 PM

Right now it's warm but cloudy. It seems the only time it's clear is when it's below freezing as will be the case on Tuesday. Hope all goes well.

Oh, and Peter I know you must have been confused :grin: since it's been a while since I posted here.

#270 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:15 AM

Hey all, sorry I have been busy with the new job and Christmas stuff.. But last night the wife and I got out some under partly cloudy skies. Since I have so much light pollutions it was bino night. The wife and I were viewing M45. Mostly we were enjoying the 70 degree temps last night. If the forecast holds out, it supposed to be "Clear" skies for Christmas Eve. I am hoping to get the scope out.

Peter - Great that you got to get some Solar views in. I hope your skies are clear for Christmas. And glad you are putting the 8SE together. The 8SE is a nice scope for it to just sit. You know it's jealous of that CPC1100. :rofl2:

Tony - Very cool that you got the new scope. That ES102 looks like a nice refractor.

James - I hope you get your clear skies for Christmas. I had 3 clear skies this week, but I could utilize them because of having to go to bed early and getting up early to drive to my new job. That is the down side of my new job. My old job was so close that if I only got a few hours sleep, it didn't effect me. Oh well, I look forward to clear skies on the weekends or the night before a holiday.

#271 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:16 AM

Oh, and Peter I know you must have been confused :grin: since it's been a while since I posted here.

Sorry Fred. :lol:

Hope you and the family enjoy a great Christmas James.

Regards. Peter.

#272 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:46 PM

Well tonight is very clear so I have set up. Don't really have an observing list put together but I'll come up with a few. Definitely will be checking Jupiter out :grin: Hope you guys get some good clear sky tonight!?

#273 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: In the glow.....somewhere between the city and the stadiums.

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:21 AM

Finally got the scope out. The seeing was not great and I had some haze and passing clouds to contend with. However, there were good periods and I did get to see some new stuff.

M37: This cluster is beautiful....I never noticed it before. Although very dense with stars and tightly packed, it is dim. As you stare at this cluster it will start to reveal more. Describing it as captivating would be an understatement. I located this using the stock 25mm but it looked mushy, so I switched to a Vixen NPL 30mm. The NPL made it easier to take it in by darkening the surrounding sky.

M35: Brighter than M37 but less densely packed. There is a small patch in it that looks like a loose globular. Another pretty one.

M41, M48, and M50, and the Arrow Head were also observed.

Using the tour mode, I came across a cluster by the name of "Number 3 cluster". It simply looks like a "3" I tried googling this but I cant seem to find anything on it. Anyone have info on this?

I saw Andromeda as a very faint smudge. Barely noticeable. I have seen it before, but this is the first time I have been able to actually see it from this location.

I managed to get a non grainy and clear focus on Jupiter with an 8mm ep so this evening had its good moments of seeing. I could make out 2 bands. I was able to squeeze in all 4 visible moons in the field of view. I have not been able to get this clear of a view at this power for a long time. It was nice and bright.

Observing time was about 2 hours total. By then, I couldnt feel my toes anymore so I packed it up.

I do not know how to put in to words, the joy I get from this telescope!!!!

#274 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:18 AM

I finally got my Christmas present last night :jump:. The clouds parted and I was able to do some observing and get a few videos of Jupiter with one of the moons transiting.

I have some guests staying over from Brazil who had never seen Jupiter through a telescope. I told them they were in for a treat, that one of the moons was passing in front of the planet and you will see its shadow. Of course, they were awe struck. I showed them M42 and explained to them that the 4 stars in the middle of the cloud were still being formed "Muito legal!" :cool:(very cool). Seeing must have been decent as I was able to faintly make out the "E" star in the Trap. Clouds rolled in and out and it was freezing, but I did manage a few videos before midnight.

Hope all had a Merry Christmas and wishing all a Happy and Healthy 2014!

#275 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: 16 miles south of the Buckfield Mall

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:29 PM

Alright, I'll be honest I have nothing to brag about as far as observing goes unless watching snow blow by driven by 30mph winds and wind chill down to -45F.This old Yankee has entered the survival mode. :p :help:
Be Well, stay Warm
Grey

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics