Photo

Visual Observers Reports and Discussions.

• Please log in to reply
562 replies to this topic

#126 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:36 PM

Peter, Mighty fine,g... That will be nice if you can get your 8SE in with the 11". I'll look forward to a comparison of the two when you have the time! We had a cold front come through yesterday. It was raining last night around 2:30am. Nice and clear looking today. May be clear tonight too. Take care and hope you keep some clear skies... Tony

#127 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:37 PM

James - great picture of Jupiter!! Pretty good detail too... Tony

#128 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:38 PM

Ben2112, Good report! Too bad about the fog and not much longer to go for the green zone!! Tony

#129 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

• Loc: North Charleston SC

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:57 PM

Tony, Yeah.. I am excited. I got up early this morning and went outside. Guess what? FOG!!! Again. :tonofbricks: It's just that time of year around here. The humidity should be dropping soon. Dryer air means better seeing. :grin:

#130 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

• Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:21 PM

James, Smashing report. Pleased the skies co-operated on Sunday night to allow you some scope time. Thanks for the image of Jupiter.

Ben, Pleased you too got some observing time. Uranus and Neptune for that matter, are never too good through the eyepiece but, as you say, its nice just to have seen them.
Thanks for the images.

Tony, Sorry to confuse. By "Shed" I meant my garden shed, not the Skyshed. From my garden shed I will set up the 8se next to the Obs and move between the two. Slow work in my condition but what the H..., its worth it when your having fun and I've all the time in the world. Got to clear that space first though. :lol:

Regards. Peter.

#131 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:37 PM

Peter, Oops, yea I misunderstood :foreheadslap: I don't have me a shed of any type :help: Now you know what shape we yanks are in :roflmao: Later...

#132 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:03 PM

Well, I just saw my first Iridium Flare. :jump: :grin: While sitting on the front porch with the wife, I noticed this bright object in the sky. At first, I thought it was star, but then it was moving. I looked at the wife and said, "Is that light moving?" She said, "yeah, but I don't think it's a plane. I don't see any blinking red lights." So I ran into the house and grabbed the binos. I thought it was the ISS, but it turned out to be an Iridium Flare. It lasted for about 5mins or so. It was pretty neat.

#133 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:28 PM

Cool :grin: I haven't seen one for awhile but it's pretty cool to see! Hey I better get outside and have a look around, g....

#134 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:56 PM

I was out for a few minutes last night with my old 7X35 binoculars and checked out one of my favorite star systems; 30, 31 and 32 Cyg. What cool colors, blue and to me a ruddy orange! Pretty colorful in binoculars and pretty good in a wide angle telescopic view too. Check them out with binoculars when you are out next time. I always enjoy the view! :waytogo:

#135 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:30 AM

Very good chance of being able to observe tonight. All forecasts (4) give the Green light. Only spanner in the works will be the strenght of the wind. As long as it get no stronger, 14 to 17 MPH at present, I should be O.K.

Wishing you all clear skies.

Regards. Peter.

#136 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:08 PM

Peter, sounds good. Maybe the wind will stay calm for you! Not sure what I'll get tonight but it's clear and blue now. Check out the stars I mentioned if you get a chance...

#137 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:02 PM

Good luck and clear skies, Peter.

#138 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:04 PM

Thanks Tony. Thanks Ben.

The clouds held off to give me a forecast 2 hours window. The wind picked up a little more but observing was do-able.

I was ready to goto my first object by 19 30. I intended to try for a few Nebula in order to test out a O111 filter kindly loaned to me by Andy.
M8 (Lagoon)and associated NGCs was a bit disappointing due to the fact that it was only about 9deg above my horizon and the Nebula was washed out by fine thin cloud. The star cluster showed through so all was not lost. M17 (Omega) next. The Nebula was not visible without a filter. There was a hint of Nebula with the UHC with the stars in the field showing up well. The Nebula stuck out like a sore thumb with the O111 with some detail visible, but the stars were some-what lost. Again, not at its best at only 16deg. On to M16 (eagle) with its lovely O.C. The Nelula showed well in both the UHC and the O111. It was difficult to decided which view was best. On just the Nebula I guess the O111 had the edge as the Nebula was that bit brighter with a some detail showing. Again, at 16deg above the horizon its not realy a fair test. (all the previous objects were sinking in the West). The veil Nebula's East and West gave only a slight hint of there glory in what was average seeing at 66deg. The O111 again showing a little more of a hint than the UHC.
On to the best object of the night NGC 6940. This is a wonderful open cluster which filled my FOV with a plethora of points of light. It was worthy of a tea and biscuit break. :lol: 21.15 now and the forecasts are proving to be correct with clouds massing in the West. Paid a visit to M27 (Dumbbell) in order to do a final test for the night on the O111. Surprisingly, to me anyway, the UHC give the better view. M27 was much sharper through the UHC with the O111 view being darker than I exspected. I put each filter into a 8mm x 24mm zoom. The view through the O111 disintegrated as I zoomed in. Through the UHC it stayed steady down to 18mm (x155).
21.45 now and I have very little skies left. So I finished my brew and called it a night. The O111 did well on some of my targets. I'll give it a few more runs as the opportunities arise. Just to add, the O111 is a one and a quarter inch filter and the UHC a two inch. This fact seemed to be making a difference in the quality of the views. ( Comments please ).

And Finely :- Tony, I did not read your reminder to look at Omicron 1 and 2 Cyg (thanks for the info) before I went out, and I did not remember to do so, sorry. I've put a note in the Obs for next time out. :grin:

Regards. Peter.

#139 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:43 PM

Peter, Good report and glad you were able to get some observing in! Nice to hear about your filter testing too. I haven't added an OIII yet but it's on my list, g. Glad you enjoyed your view of NGC 6940! Sounds like it was a gem :grin: I don't think I've tried it with my 6SE but I'm adding it to my list to try. It has a mag of around 6.3 so it should be a good view. Glad you were able to enjoy some tea too! Good report and let me know what you think of O1 / O2 Cyg. I think the colors are nice.... Tony

#140 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:14 PM

Peter - This might sound like a strange question, but has anyone ever used a filter wheel to test various filters for visual observing?

#141 panhard

panhard

It's All Good

• Moderators
  • Loc: Markham Ontario Canada

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:52 PM

Peter that was a great report thanks. :bow:

#142 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:15 PM

Nice report Pete despite the low altitude of some of the objects. Well done.

Pete

#143 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:29 AM

Many thanks Herb and you too Pete. Your kind comment are much appreciated. It was good fun doing the comparisons. Eyepieces and filters everywhere. :roflmao:
At the same time next month the Pelican and North American nebula's should be better placed, i.e off the Zenith from my location, so, along with the veil and any others that are available,I will run it again.

Tony.... NGC 6940 should look great with the 6se. You don't need high power to view open clusters. I used my 38mm wide angle (70deg) E.P giving me x73.

Ben ... Don't know how practical it would be to use a filter wheel for visual as I only own 2 filters ( variable polar and UHC). Might be worth a try if you have a few and your targets warrant their use. Hopefully, someone who has given it a go will let us know. Good thinking though Ben. :idea:

Regards. Peter.

#144 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:18 AM

Peter - Yeah, it just came to me because I was looking at filter wheels for mono CCD cameras. I wouldn't invest in one just for filter comparison. But if a person could barrow one to do a comparison, it would keep you from having to screw and unscrew filters on eyepieces, diagonals, etc to compare various filters. Just flip back and forth. Then you can get a real idea of how well a filter works. I only own one DSO filter which is my UHC. My others are some cheap color filters for planetary viewing that came in my kit and a moon filter. But if I had a Ha, UHC, LPR, OIII, etc. Then I could see wanting to use a filter wheel to see how it each filter effects what I am seeing.

#145 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Lewiston, Maine

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:37 AM

Peter thanks once again for sharing your observations with us. Your reports are always a pleasant read.I was out under the skies off and on most of the night into the predawn hours and although my current health issues preclude my use of my telescope I was able to watch my winter favorites rise into the sky. Not being able to tilt my eyes to view anywhere near zenith eliminated any thought of surveying the whole sky visually but watching M45 glide up and Taurus, Orion and finally Jupiter joined the parade was renewing for me. The place that I chose to observe from, the front deck with 2 street lights ( usually blocked by my garage when viewing from the observatory and a near by line of hills running NE preclude any viewing of the horizon) still allowed me to lean against the house wall and soak in the amazing sights. Temps in the low 60s F made it possible dressed in jeans and tee shirt, and that alone made the night even more remarkable. This time of year we are often facing snow flurries and hard frost at night. Thanks for sharing I can hardly wait until I can wrap my eyes in optical glass once more.
Be Well
Grey

#146 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:50 PM

Hi Grey,
Many thanks for your kinds words. Pleased you enjoy our reports. Sorry for the late response but things are a little busy round here, which is no bad thing, as it keeps my mind and body active.
Sorry to hear of your on going health problems and hope, as you do, that you will stay on the road to recovery and be back at the eyepiece sooner rather than later.
Pleased to see that you are keeping your hand in so to speak, by doing a little naked eye observing. Its nice to watch the progression of the winter constellations . Won't be too long now before they are in our night skies once again.

Regards. Peter.

#147 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:07 PM

No observing this weekend due to rain and more rain :cloudy: Well we needed the rain to help with the drought! I ordered the Uranometria 2000 All Sky edition. Looking forward to getting it in. Also when the clouds break this week I think I'm going to plan an observing session in Cassiopeia. It's been awhile since I viewed some of the open and globular clusters. There is quite of few to look at, g. I need to make an observing list and get ready. Anyone checked it out lately? Hope you all had clear skies this weekend :grin:

#148 ben2112

ben2112

Cloud Magnet

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:04 PM

No rain, but lots of clouds. :(

#149 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:18 AM

I got lucky Friday and Saturday and was able to get in some observing last night. I did some daytime Moon observing which is very different than night time observing. The Moon didn't seem as bright as when I checked it out at night. I was able to note the progression of the terminator throughout the evening. I was using my binoviewer to pick out some finer details. They also provide a 3-d sensation especially on craters and mountains. It was a short session clouds came and went, so I went to M31 and M45 and M33, the last one was invisible. M31 with the binoviewer actually starts to show some structure with 14mm ep's. Clouds started to roll in at 23:00, so I packed it in

#150 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:58 AM

James, Good report and glad you were able to get some observing in! Sounds like you had to contend with those clouds too. The binoviewer sounds like a real plus. I've never used one but maybe I'll get a chance sometime. Thanks for the report! Tony

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics