Eyepiece selection

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:59 PM

Ok, I have two pairs of BV's, one a WO w/20mm 66* and a new Denk2 Superswitch that I'm testing out. If I keep the Denks I will sell the WO with the EP's.

I will add that I will mainly use them in my 8" SCT and maybe in my new AD10 that I just bought.

So I am thinking that I will need something in the 20mm range to use with the power switch. I have a Meade 20mm SWA that performs really well and just bought a second one to make a pair. Well, good idea, but they are too fat to merge properly and don't fit my nose comfortably like the WO pair do. I like to bury my eyes into the eye cups. I suppose I could remove the outer housing to make them thinner , but then I would have to get some kind of eyecups for them. I have seen a bunch of posts from others who had put them on a "diet" so to speak.

I also have a 19Pan that I could pair up, but will cost $250 new and $200 used IF I could find one, so maybe not a good solution.

I see the other choice is the ES 20mm 68* probably the same view as the Meade for $100 ea. and wonder how much thinner they are from the ones I have now? The Meade's where very close to merging comfortable, so perhaps just a few mm thinner withe the ES will fill the bill. Just wondering if anyone else is using them for BV?

The next few options are:

GSO Superview 68* @ $45 each = $90 pair

Agena 20mm 72* @ $47 each = $94 pair

WO Swan 20mm 72* @ $79 each = $158 pair

All three above seem very much alike from the pictures.

I will add that I currently have a pair of Brandon 16mm and they form a perfect circle, but narrow at 42* which is ok for planets and close up's of the moon, but not DSO's to good I would expect.

The other pair I have id the basic Meade 26mm SP at 52* and there just ok.

So looking to hear from some of you BV folks as what you think my best options are without spending a whole lot more than what I have already done....I should have not gone to that NEAF show!

Thanks in advance.

#2 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

One premium solution is to sell the WO binos & eyepieces, the 20mm SWAs, and the 19mm Pan, and your 24mm SWA and ES14mm - and get a pair of 24mm Pans which is pretty much all you would need. Later if you want even more power you can match up your 13T6 (which are also AWESOME bino pairs).

One thing to be aware of if buying used 24mm Pans is to make sure they match - the barrel undercuts differ slightly old v. new, and they can seat into the binos differently. There also will be very slight vignetting at the lowest power setting of the Denks but most people don't notice or like me are not bothered, it's very slight.

#3 JRiggs

JRiggs

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western New York

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:47 PM

I agree with Johnny that the 24 pans are excellent for binoviewing. I had a pair before I found something I liked better - the 24mm Brandon "flat tops", or signature series. I liked the Brandons because they are lighter and narrower than the pans, but most of all they have much better eye relief. Of course this is a personal thing. If you don't wear glasses while observing the amount of eye relief is going to be much less of a factor. Other eyepieces that I have seen favorably reviewed are the Zeiss microscope eyepieces, but these are more difficult to obtain.

John

#4 Kutno

Kutno

Apollo

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:03 PM

... if you want even more power you can match up your 13T6 (which are also AWESOME bino pairs).

:waytogo:

Listen to Johnny.

#5 Sorny

Sorny

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern MN

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:47 PM

I've got two pairs of Agena SWAs in 20mm & 15mm. I found that in my CPC1100 (11"), the 15's didn't get much use due to seeing constraints. I used the 20mm pair a lot with my power switching diagonal, and was the set I used all night before I upgraded the binoviewer & eyepieces (went from WO/Agena SWAs to Binotron/D21). In a SCT, eyepieces right around 20mm seem to be awesome for DSO hunting since it gives you en exit pupil right around 2mm.

I have since moved on to Denk D21 eyepieces for my binotron, but the Agena SWA 20mm eyepieces got a lot of use before I moved into "premium glass" territory. The Agenas are very light weight, and quite narrow for their big FOV, and had decent enough eye relief (I used them w/o glasses).

I think the Agena 20mm will work very well in your 8" scope. The 70 degree FOV seemed positively enormous in the binoviewers. They're quite reasonably priced and work well enough to see if you like that focal length. As to the 19mm panoptics, they'll probably be perfect aside from possible eye relief and availability. The 24mm pans will likely vignette, maybe even in straight through mode, but for sure in reducer mode; bad enough vignetting to bother you is a different story...

I find that the D21s are the perfect eyepieces for my Binotron. Comfortable eye relief, enough FOV, excellent baffling, great transmission, no ghosting or false color, little to no distortion, and all that good stuff you expect from premium glass. They do not vignette in reducer mode, and have nice big eye lenses. While not cheap, I find them to be well worth the price of admission.

Long story short, if money is tight, I think the Agena SWA 20mm eyepieces are a great DSO set. Try not to use them on the moon or planets (I'd get a halo and some false color around really bright objects like the moon or Saturn/Jupiter, and reflections from my eye as well), but for glob hunting and such, they were great. If money isn't too tight, then I can heartily say the D21s and binoviewing are a sure fire winning combination.

#6 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:53 PM

Johnny, That is an awesome solution and makes perfect sense!

I do like my 19mm Pan as they are very lightweight but maybe better to go up to the 24's for a wider image. I have heard a lot of good reports about them in a BV...BUT also for the new ES 24mm 68* at less than half price of the Pans?

Kutno, thanks for your response as you sound like you know what you are talking about!

I don't wear glasses at the eyepiece, but think I will start wearing contact's to correct my slight astigmatism and not have to take off my glasses to look up at the sky and take them off to look into the scope.

#7 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:28 PM

I've heard great things about the ES 24mm 68s. I think they weigh almost twice as much as the Pans though so keep that in mind. Sorny's suggestion of the D21's is also one to consider, they are excellent eyepieces and very lightweight. My favorites are probably my 16mm Brandons. The 24mm Brandons are actually a lot wider AFOV than the 16mm, I think they are around 52 degrees compared to 42* for the 16, so those are also eyepieces to consider as John pointed out. I actually have both the 24mm Brandons and the 24mm Pans and its hard to choose between the two.

#8 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:04 AM

Yes, the ES24 have great reviews and I have the similar one from Meade and it is heavy and fat. That's another one that needs to be put on a diet as well. The 24 Brandon's although great are too expensive for me as well as the Denk 21's.

Yes as far as the 16 Brandon's are concerned they are nice and light and I get a perfectly round image in the BV, but narrow FOV. I picked up a second one at NEAF at the same time as the Denk's, but the weather has been so bad this summer, I have had hardly any time to try them out.

Maybe slimming down the Meade 20MM is not a bad option as I should be able to put the shroud back on them if I want to sell them....hmmm!

#9 Sorny

Sorny

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern MN

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:34 PM

If budget is the issue, get a pair of Agena SWA 20mm eyepieces. For DSOs, they are very good for the money and don't need to be slimmed down, and you will have no issues trying to get your nose between them.

#10 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:09 AM

Thanks, the Agena SWA20mm sound good. Are they pretty much like the DSO Super View line?

#11 Messyone

Messyone

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Down Under

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:50 PM

The AA SWA20 pair I use are very nice. Noticeably bigger TFOV than the WO 66ยบ 20mm eyepieces, and with the OCA nice and sharp to the edge in my refractor. Can't be beaten for value IMO.
Matt

#12 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:31 PM

There's a pair of D21's w/vaults on the other site for a great price, I'm tempted myself...

#13 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:31 AM

Yeah I saw them listed, but sold already. The Agena 20's sounds like a good solution as well, but don't like to hear from Sorny that they will give a "halo" on the Moon and planets as that is what exactly I want to use them for.

I think I may just put the Meade 20 SWA's on a diet to lighten them and make them skinnier.

#14 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:46 PM

Hey I just wanted to update, I think the 16mm Brandon has better than 42* AFOV I stated earlier - in fact the website claims 50 degrees for the whole range. The 24mm though definitely has a bit more.

#15 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:55 AM

Well, I see on the Vernonscope website they are all listed at 50* FOV. I also have the 32mm.

What through me off is that Astronomics has it listed at 42* FOV and they need to correct that.

Thanks,

Bob

#16 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:44 PM

My favorites are the 25mm sterlings. They are the only pair that I have at the moment :grin: but all kidding aside they are great performers in my 10 inch with the binotron 27's. I am seriously considering other focal lengths in this line. At $70-$80 a pair I think they are a bargain.

Eric

#17 titanio

titanio

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Alicante, Spain

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:43 PM

Hi

For me the best eyepieces with binoviewers are the 19 and the 24 panoptics and the 12.5 Takahashis. I also have the Televue plossl 25 and the 32, the 25 are very good eyepieces, the 32 are good but you have to find the right position for the eyes just to have a confortable view,

Regards

Toni

#18 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:22 AM

Eric, yes I heard the Sterlings are pretty good and lightweight which is important to me. Do they vignette much, noticable?

So you are the perfect person to ask, I have the Denk2 PS and haveing problems getting them to focus in my 10", what are you using to get the Binotrons in focus? I don't want to use a 2x barlow if I don't have to.

Thanks,

Bob

#19 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:43 AM

Bob, there is no vignetting. As it is now, I can reach focus in low and mid power or mid and high power by just using the power switch. If I want to switch from low to high power then I need to make adjustments to the unit itself which kind of complicates things so for now I just try to avoid it. I believe that a focuser with a longer drawtube will be my best solution in the long run.

Eric

#20 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:01 PM

Thanks Eric, I'll give the Power Switch a try if it ever clears up!

The scope did come with a 35mm extension tube, so maybe that will work.

#21 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:53 AM

Just wanted to update this spread. Last night I tried to use the WO BV with the 1.6x barlow in my 10" Dob and it would not come to focus. Than I removed the 1.6x and inserted a 2x barlow and that didn't work either.

Next I tried the Denk2 PS and that would not come into focus straight through or with either of the arms inserted.

Now what?

#22 SKYGZR

SKYGZR

Viking 1

• Loc: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:10 PM

Try removing the extension tube, and put the 1.6x and-or-the 2x "lens" only in it's place. Ought to be able to unscrew the lens from the end of the barlow tube.

#23 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:34 AM

If you are talking about removing the nose piece from the BN, the 1.6 barlow threads are different size and don't fit.

I checked WO website and they have an extension tune they sell to help get to focus, but still not sure it would work. May have to send them an email about it. I don't know what the big deal is with this focus issue is as they sell thousands of these BV and many are probably being used in reflector scopes like mine??

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics