6 replies to this topic

#1 spoolboyy

spoolboyy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Silverdale, WA

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:00 PM

Hey everyone,

I just purchased my first refractor and would like some help on adapting it to an EQ mount I have. The mount used to support a 4.5" Meade newt, which was abused by its previous owners. The mount is in decent shape, but I'm just not sure what is the best way to adapt the vixen dovetail to it. After searching the web for a bit, I decided I would pose the question to this forum of experts, so thank you in advance for any help you may be able to offer!

I'm hoping I'm not the first person who has attempted this particular pairing and that an off-the-shelf solution exists. I'd like to avoid fabricating something if I can, because my apartment isn't the best place for such work and I'm lacking most of the tools for the job. That said, I am a perennial cheapskate, and would like to do this cheaply.

I have included a photo of the dovetail that came with my Vixen refractor and the plate on the mount that it needs to adapt to. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

- Adam

Attached Files

#2 spoolboyy

spoolboyy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:01 PM

Yikes....looks like I need to dust the mount a bit!

#3 spoolboyy

spoolboyy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:14 PM

The solution to my problem: a little fabrication and one of these.

http://admaccessorie...ail_Adapter.htm

#4 hottr6

hottr6

Vanguard

• Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

The Losmandy pieces will add quite a lot of weight to the little Towa (it looks like a Towa to me) mount, AND move the OTA further away from the polar axis necessitating more counterweight on the other side. The end effect will be that your mount will be considerably less steady, be more top-heavy, and heavier to haul around.

I'd use a simple bar of aluminum, say 1"x0.25"x7", drill and tap to mount the two piece together.

#5 spoolboyy

spoolboyy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:43 PM

Ended up fabricating a plate out of a piece of poplar I had lying around. I may use it as a template to build an aluminum plate in the future, but my woodworking skills are only so-so and my metalworking skills are worse yet. Here it is, all put together.

Attached Files

#6 SteveG

SteveG

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:52 PM

Nice job! You now have a working mount.

#7 spoolboyy

spoolboyy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:26 PM

Thanks Steve. Now to wait for this western washington weather to blow over......

- A

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics