• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Brent Campbell

Brent Campbell

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Olympia, WA

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:52 AM

:help: So close but so far. I have my Meade ETX 70. Seems like a nice little scope. I'm coming to appreciate it. I want to mount my Orion Laser Finder bracket on the thing to use as a "point to scope". This bracket uses a Synta finder shoe.

Has anyone engineered something like this? Double sided tape just doesn't hold. Ideally I would like to mount the finder about midpoint so that I can look through the scope and operate the finder as well. Yes I know that I can shine the laser through the diagonal, but that is my fallback position.

My latest thought is to possible "pop-rivit" the finder shoe to the OTA, but this requires drilling a hole in the OTA. Also I don't know how the plastic would hold up.

#2 rtanton

rtanton

Vendor (Explorer Scientific)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Mission Viejo, CA

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:16 PM

Brent, for my Questar I use a piece of PVC pipe slightly larger than the OTA lined with Protostar flock. It slides over the OTA to serve as a dew and stray light shield. You could pop rivet your bracket to the PVC.

Russ

#3 Brent Campbell

Brent Campbell

Messenger

• -----

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:05 PM

Thank you Russ! I will go down to the hardware store tomorrow and try that!

#4 Brent Campbell

Brent Campbell

Messenger

• -----

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:14 PM

A variation of Russ's idea. Take a 3.5 " pvc pipe bracket and attach a spreader bar made out of paint sticks! Add a small feet to each end of the paint sticks to take up some of the slack in the pipe. Make a nice place to attach the finder, I cut a small block of wood that fits underneath the finder shoe.

The finder shoe screws to the spreader, the pipe clamp is lined with double sided tape (much more surface area than the finder shoe alone) and stick it to the scope. The spreader is bolted to the pipe clamp. About $15.00 in parts. Took a couple of tries to get everything right but it holds the finder shoe!

This is not the most "pretty" mod there is but it is fast. If I really wanted to be "pretty" I would have disassembled the ETX and through bolted the finder shoe with a backer block.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics