CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Post a Picture of You and Your Classic Scope Pt.2

• Please log in to reply
593 replies to this topic

#576 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:09 PM

Now there's a couple of bird brains if ever I saw any using a reflector to boot!!!! :smirk:  Mike

• Datapanic likes this

#577 DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Viking 1

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:15 PM

You just need the pirate eye patch now!   ;)

#578 actionhac

actionhac

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:22 PM

Aye Matey's! me just a Irish potato farmer by blood, lucky to have a telescope, and a chicken to boot!

• DreamWeaver likes this

#579 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Riverview, FL, USA

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:36 PM

What's with all the 4" f/15 refractors?  Oh... yeah... The fantastic views in a portable package!  I read Neil's article on CN - "Stranger Than Fiction" - today, and I kept nodding my head...

Hey Bob! Pretty soon BarabinoSr and I will each be building 4" f/15's. I already have a sweet Carton f/13, but I just can't seem to help myself! :bigshock: :grin:  :lol:

Mel

That sounds like a very worthwhile project Mel. We must think alike because I had my Carton F13 when I was lucky enough to find my  Vixen.  I couldn't resist either. 

I truly hope it will be, Gary. Compared to my previous builds, this one should be an easy one. BarabinoSr, and I will be utilizing unorthodox components, but it will be functional, and hopefully a good performer. The optic is a Jaegers 4" f/15, for which many have been built by many of recent. By next year sometime, I should be posting a picture of me standing next to it on this thread.

Mel

Now you have my interest Mel. That Jaegers lens is a good place to start and the use of unorthodox components will make your project 

fun too follow. Keep us updated.

Gary

I most cetainly will Gary. Speaking of Jaegers, as I am sure you noted in my signature, I also built a Jaeger 6" f/10 refractor. I am currently creating its step-by-step construction overview pages that I will be posting on our website sometime next month. Man! An ATM'ers work is never done... :axe:

Mel

I saw your 6" Jaegers and I bet it's a joy to use. There is nothing better than finishing an atm project and being able to enjoy your work.  I know the feeling well. If I can make something I won't buy it.  My 10" Coulter I found on Craigslist for $10 with issues and now it's a new scope.

Gary

Nice website Mel. Now I understand your long time friendship with Gary B.  :bow:

Hey Gary,

Thanks for checking out the site. But, I still have a lot of updates to do to it. Yes, Gary Barabino and I go back a long ways. He introduce me to astronomy on July of 1970. Actually, the anniversary of the meeting occurred a couple of days ago on the 20th.

Mel

• BarabinoSr, fjs and G.Richard like this

#580 G.Richard

G.Richard

Mariner 2

• Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Posted 22 July 2015 - 10:10 PM

What's with all the 4" f/15 refractors?  Oh... yeah... The fantastic views in a portable package!  I read Neil's article on CN - "Stranger Than Fiction" - today, and I kept nodding my head...

Hey Bob! Pretty soon BarabinoSr and I will each be building 4" f/15's. I already have a sweet Carton f/13, but I just can't seem to help myself! :bigshock: :grin:  :lol:

Mel

That sounds like a very worthwhile project Mel. We must think alike because I had my Carton F13 when I was lucky enough to find my  Vixen.  I couldn't resist either. 

I truly hope it will be, Gary. Compared to my previous builds, this one should be an easy one. BarabinoSr, and I will be utilizing unorthodox components, but it will be functional, and hopefully a good performer. The optic is a Jaegers 4" f/15, for which many have been built by many of recent. By next year sometime, I should be posting a picture of me standing next to it on this thread.

Mel

Now you have my interest Mel. That Jaegers lens is a good place to start and the use of unorthodox components will make your project 

fun too follow. Keep us updated.

Gary

I most cetainly will Gary. Speaking of Jaegers, as I am sure you noted in my signature, I also built a Jaeger 6" f/10 refractor. I am currently creating its step-by-step construction overview pages that I will be posting on our website sometime next month. Man! An ATM'ers work is never done... :axe:

Mel

I saw your 6" Jaegers and I bet it's a joy to use. There is nothing better than finishing an atm project and being able to enjoy your work.  I know the feeling well. If I can make something I won't buy it.  My 10" Coulter I found on Craigslist for $10 with issues and now it's a new scope.

Gary

Nice website Mel. Now I understand your long time friendship with Gary B.  :bow:

Hey Gary,

Thanks for checking out the site. But, I still have a lot of updates to do to it. Yes, Gary Barabino and I go back a long ways. He introduce me to astronomy on July of 1970. Actually, the anniversary of the meeting occurred a couple of days ago on the 20th.

Mel

That's cool Mel. I did the math and I hate to tell you two but the anniversity in 5 years will be the 50th!  :grin: Don't worry, I got my first telescope about 55 years ago.  :shocked:

#581 terraclarke

terraclarke

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Kentucky

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:57 PM

Not exactly a classic but in the style of a classic. I was doing some nearly full aperture (90mm) H-alpha solar viewing today with my 102mm F11 refractor by AstroTelescopes. Thank you Gary Hand, this scope always pleases me.

Attached Files

Edited by terraclarke, 04 August 2015 - 07:33 AM.

• BarabinoSr, dawsonian2000, photiost and 12 others like this

#582 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Apollo

• Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 03 August 2015 - 05:57 PM

Very nice!  Please give us the details of your scope!

- Bob

• terraclarke likes this

#583 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 August 2015 - 05:58 PM

Not exactly a classic but in the style of a classic. I was doing some full aperture H-alpha solar viewing today with my 102mm F11 refractor by AstroTelescopes. Thank you Gary Hand, this scope always pleases me.

Hey Terra! I see that you have the planet killer! Read some positive notes about this instrument. Would love to see a H-aplha image from the fine telescope.

Mel

• BarabinoSr and terraclarke like this

#584 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 August 2015 - 06:11 PM

My classic.  Who needs an AP when you have one of these?

Hi Gleason,

I think many of us would love to know more about you beautiful refractor. If you please... :) :bow: :bow: :bow:

Thanks, Mel

• BarabinoSr likes this

#585 terraclarke

terraclarke

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Kentucky

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:14 AM

It is indeed the 'Planet Killer' (102mm F11, Kumning Optical), one "Hand" picked so to speak, and Gary sent me a superb one. It is on a duel drive Celestron Omni CG-4 mount and tripod. (I also often use it on my UA Unistar Deluxe alt-AZ mount with Televue Skytour and an extra-tall Oberwerk heavy-duty wood surveyor's tripod, which is my preferred traveling configuration). The night-time configuration includes a 2" Televue dielectric diagonal and an 8x50 rotating finder on the custom Ken Dauzat ring that the Televue SolSearcher is on in the picture. In H-alpha mode it has a 0.7A T-scanner, 2.5X Televue Powermate telecentric, 1.25" Lumicon prism diagonal(Japan), a Baader UV-IR cut filter, and a nearly full aperture 95mm Schott B+W (Germany) ERF stopped down to 90mm, operating at F30.

Edited by terraclarke, 04 August 2015 - 07:31 AM.

• BarabinoSr, dawsonian2000, rcwolpert and 3 others like this

#586 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 August 2015 - 10:34 PM

It is indeed the 'Planet Killer' (102mm F11, Kumning Optical), one "Hand" picked so to speak, and Gary sent me a superb one. It is on a duel drive Celestron Omni CG-4 mount and tripod. (I also often use it on my UA Unistar Deluxe alt-AZ mount with Televue Skytour and an extra-tall Oberwerk heavy-duty wood surveyor's tripod, which is my preferred traveling configuration). The night-time configuration includes a 2" Televue dielectric diagonal and an 8x50 rotating finder on the custom Ken Dauzat ring that the Televue SolSearcher is on in the picture. In H-alpha mode it has a 0.7A T-scanner, 2.5X Televue Powermate telecentric, 1.25" Lumicon prism diagonal(Japan), a Baader UV-IR cut filter, and a nearly full aperture 95mm Schott B+W (Germany) ERF stopped down to 90mm, operating at F30.

Now that just makes my mouth water! :grin: :bow: :bow: :bow:  What an awesome setup. In H-Alpha, how well does it compare to those ready-made solar scopes pushing <0.5 A? I am currently thirsting and researching the market for a great solar scope. I actually prefer to modify one of my existing 4" inch refractor; preferrably my Meade 102ed. I have skimmed over DayStars website, but chased off when I saw their prices.

I also own a CG-4. Mine is the Sky Watcher version. Works wonderfully.

Mel

#587 actionhac

actionhac

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 08 August 2015 - 10:22 AM

Entomology is a fun hobby. Here I am with my Optical Craftsmen studying  insect life in the trees.

I can see cob webs, thats quite a hike for a spider so they must spend their entire lives up there.

Lots of Dragonfly, you wouldn't think Dragonflies would need to go to the tree tops. 

The planets come out from behind those trees. I've often thought of cutting them down but its not so bad because by the time a planet becomes observable its positioned better anyway, then if the trees were not there. Also its home to the bugs and birds.

Attached Files

• Mr Magoo, Larry Geary, TOM KIEHL and 1 other like this

#588 PhaedrusUpshaw

PhaedrusUpshaw

Viking 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Southwestern Indiana

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:08 PM

My first foray into Classic telescopes and this is an example of Suburban astronomy at it's simplest.

A man and his scope (C-80)!

Attached Files

• terraclarke, rcwolpert, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#589 wopaness

wopaness

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: bay area

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:39 AM

here is my Dynamax 6 , this scope has exceeded my expectations as far as what has been my first scope.  Great clarity and protability,  the scope has shown me what a non plastic, old school scope should be, of course the down side is,   relax with a good book waiting for it to cool down,  part's for it  "HA HA HA",   someone that knows a little about scopes when I tell em I have a dynamax  "HA HA HA",       but the cool thing about it is,  not too many of them out there,                                               It just look's like a really cool scope,  Quick set-up , even with the minor damage this 30+ telescope give's some fantastic views. I have gotten a few more scopes since the dynamax but non has yet taken its place as the one I use the most. 

Attached Files

• tim53, Vesper818, astro140 and 4 others like this

#590 yonkrz

yonkrz

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SW Minnesota

Posted Yesterday, 09:11 AM

Had this,should have never sold it.

Attached Files

• davidmcgo, tim53, TOM KIEHL and 2 others like this

#591 tim53

tim53

Cosmos

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted Today, 10:04 AM

I bought one of those off eBay a while ago. And Dave Groski has restored one. Did yours not have a counterweight?  

Tim

#592 jtsenghas

jtsenghas

Viking 1

• Loc: The flatlands of Northwest Ohio --Bloomdale

Posted Today, 11:33 AM

Could you identify the make, model and approximate vintage of such an instrument? I like that the pipe mount has a union on it. That not only would make it easy to disassemble, it would also make it easy to tighten down the mount at a specific compass bearing. 

#593 jtsenghas

jtsenghas

Viking 1

• Loc: The flatlands of Northwest Ohio --Bloomdale

Posted Today, 11:37 AM

.... And Dave Groski has restored one. Did yours not have a counterweight?  

Tim

Would that be the Dave Groski I met at Stellafane this month who had a nice Matsukov on a fork mount?  (Or might it be another of the plethora of Dave Groski's in this hobby?)

#594 tim53

tim53

Cosmos

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted Today, 12:57 PM

That's the Dave!

Pics of the scope he restored, and the one I bought are on this thread, beginning about in the middle of page 5: http://www.cloudynig...-project/page-5

Actually, upon closer examination, it looks like you sold your scope to Dave!  

-Tim.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics