• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 PeterDob

PeterDob

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Castelnovo ne' Monti, Italy

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:10 PM

I couldn't stay behind on all of my fellow-sketchers who've already had a go at this rare and wonderful object, so here's my version. I insisted on having both the nova and the nebula in the FOV, which I managed only just with the pair of 24mm Explore Scientifics (85x). So the "composition" isn't all that great. But I've got them both and that's what was important to me. The nova seemed to have a very slight greenish hue and this wasn't due to the FOV border astigmatism, because I also noticed it when I put it at the centre. So was this my imagination, false colour from the eyepieces or can anyone confirm that it is real?

Peter

Attached Files

#2 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:31 PM

Peter,

*Very* nice. Your drawing captures the quality of looking through the telescope with you. :cool:

Most people have reported the nova appearing either yellow/yellow-white or white/blue-white. Yours is the first report of a greenish color I've read.

#3 Aquarellia

Aquarellia

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Provence, France

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:34 AM

Very nice sketch Peter, as always !
With the moon light it's quite difficult to appreciate the color. Anyway during the first night of my observation : 16th, I will say White-blue White color but yesterday, 17th and this very morning, the color was maybe changing with some blue-green light. To be confirmed !!!

#4 David Gray

David Gray

Viking 1

• Loc: Nr. Scotland.

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:56 AM

The nova seemed to have a very slight greenish hue and this wasn't due to the FOV border astigmatism, because I also noticed it when I put it at the centre. So was this my imagination, false colour from the eyepieces or can anyone confirm that it is real?

Peter

Very nice as ever Peter!

Funnily enough I thought the nova quite greenish too: I was observing same date/time as you with the 415mm D-K (x365 with binos). Then I found I had mis-pointed the scope and was actually looking at 29 Vul (spec A0)! The nova I found to be a creamy-white (matching F5 –F7 stars - more yellow with my 120mm refractor x25). Nevertheless from your fine rendition you seem to have indeed got the nova! Curiouser and curiouser!!

At first thinking the nova greenish I was not too surprised as they can go through quite a gamut of hues as they fade. One in Cassiopeia (or Cygnus?) I recall displaying the deepest blue I’ve seen in any star, and one in Vulpecula (60s/70s?) the most delightful intense mauve/magenta. I need to seek my records with these – going from memory).

Not been clear since but hopefully tonight I will check out 29 Vul and the nova. I plan to keep a record of the nova’s hues in coming weeks and maybe put a compilation of impressions here. Have we actually got a green single star (29 Vul) I don’t know. I’m not that disposed to seeing the greens as ascribed to some doubles – usually more blue. Similarly the often stated greenish hue of Beta Lib has always eluded me simply looking blue-white.

The moon was a mild nuisance that night but I do not think the hues were affected in the dark x365 field of the D-K to any degree.

Cheers
David.

#5 PeterDob

PeterDob

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:02 AM

Many thanks, Michael, Michel and David! The colour-thing is very strange indeed. One person on the Italian astronomy forum actually claimed he saw orange. All we still need is red and we've got the full spectrum! :D

I am aware that the ES eyepieces do suffer from yellowish false colour, especially by the FOV edge. So, blue and yellow make green... This is getting complicated... :yay:

Cheers,

Peter

#6 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:49 AM

Peter, fine sketch!

#7 Randolph Jay

Randolph Jay

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Huntington, NY, USA

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:26 AM

Very beautiful sketch indeed. You've even captured detail in that little beauty of a planetary nebula. I've not had any chance to see this nova due to ( what else ) cloudy skies. And I agree that having the nova and the nebula in the same field in this sketch over rides composition. Thank you for sharing your work!
Randolph

#8 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:27 AM

Peter,

Love the widefield sketch. Knowing what is going on while looking at a classic nova makes it exciting but of course the stealer of this beautiful sketch is the planetary NGC 6905.
Fantastic!

Frank :)

#9 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:43 PM

Peter,

Very nice version of NGC 6905 & the Nova in Delphini :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#10 Sasa

Sasa

Viking 1

• Loc: Ricany, Czech Republic

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:12 PM

Nice sketch Peter. I like it, you even captured an interesting details on the planetary. I mean brighter eastern and western edges. I failed to see those features couple of days ago.

#11 PeterDob

PeterDob

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:54 AM

Many thanks, Sasa! To me the rather rectangular shape of the nebula withe the two brighter borders wad quite evident. Did you use a filter? And when did you observe it because the moon's become a real nuisance over the last few days. Otherwise it must be the difference in aperture...

Peter

#12 Laurent Ferrero

Laurent Ferrero

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Marseilles, France

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:59 AM

Excelent this view in wide field !

#13 Fuzzyguy

Fuzzyguy

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado/Kansas

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:04 PM

Great sketch Peter. We had pretty good transparency last night and I tried to get 6905 and Nova Del 2013 into the same field, but alas, my FoV was just a bit too small. I did get a nice look at 6905 though. I even streched the magnification to over 300X and with an OIII, it looked pretty good.

Well Done!

#14 cpl43uk

cpl43uk

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Bristol, UK

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:57 PM

Thanks for this Peter. I have been vacationing and so missed the chance to observe the Nova myself but seeing your sketch I can almost imagine a live observation ;-)

#15 PeterDob

PeterDob

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:59 AM

Thank you so much, Laurent, Larry and Chris!

@Larry: NGC6905 is not a very well known object, also because it resides in such an obscure little constellation. But it is a real beauty and like you said you can easily push it to high Macs and it will reveal a lot of detail.

Cheers,

Peter

#16 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:47 PM

Peter.

I'm always very very impressed by you night sketches. The representation of the stars is so real, exactly like looking throught your scope. Beautiful sketch my friend. You have a so great talent in sketching the stars.

Andre.

#17 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

• Loc: Canada

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:57 AM

I feel the same way! I just discovered your drawings, and every time I log onto CN I look for more of them!

Excellent work Peter! :waytogo:

#18 PeterDob

PeterDob

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:51 AM

Thank you so much, André and Markus.... :D

Peter

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics