WO BV in 10" Dob?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:10 PM

Well I tried out my WO BV with my new A10" Dob last night on the Moon and as I expected I could not get it to focus even with the 1.6x nose-piece that came with it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob

#2 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:36 PM

If you were not able to rack in far enough, the only place where you can get a bit closer could be to ensure that the collimation screws on your mirror cell are near the top end of their travel, pushing the primary as close as possible.

this will likely only buy you a few millimeters, but every millimeter helps.

Otherwise, you will need to Barlow up.

#3 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:42 PM

Ok, will try a 2x shorty Barlow I have, I don't want to mess with the mirror, thanks!

#4 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:37 PM

don't want to mess with the mirror,

y

you probably should update to beefier springs anyway.

a shorty shouldn't be a problem. looking at the moon will never be the same... :grin:

#5 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:41 AM

I did get the "Tweakers Dream Package" and they added the beefier springs and replaced the front screws of the secondary with knobs that makes alighnment much easier. Also the other good thing in this package is they flocked the tube.

I will try the barlow, but I dis see Orion just brought out a new low profile focuser that looks like have the size of the original and maybe that will allow enough back focus for the BV to work.....but it is expensive, $250!

Yes, the only way to view the Moon!

#6 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:55 AM

Ed, tried the 2x barlow way in the WO and sill not focus!

Next I tried the Denks with either arm inserted and that would not come to focus.

Now what do you suggest?

Bob

#7 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:01 AM

How did you try the 2" Barlow?

Did you use a 2"/1.25" reducer to hold the Binoviewer?

If so, were you using a 2" barlow?

If you are using a 1.25" barlow and a 1.25" nose on the binoviewer, try unscrewing the barlow lens alement and screwing it directly into the nose of the binoviewer.

If you were using a 2" / 1.25" adapter and a 2" barlow and your adapter is threaded, again, try unscrewing the barlow element and screwing it directly to the front of the reducer.

#8 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:52 AM

Yes, I had the included 2"/1.24" reducer to hold the WO and was using a Meade 126 2x Barlow. I tried to unscrew the element and it does not fit the nose piece..too wide.

The 1.6 barlow that screws into the nose it 1" long. My shorty barlow ads another 1.5" to the nose.

#9 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:41 PM

Well, it can be very hit or miss when you are trying to get the focus right on a Dob I think. They generally don't have the same focuser travel as refractors do.

Your result might be because you are using a short barlow, but at this point I can't tell you what will work or what won't work. It is often just trial and error. I was lucky that the 2" AT barlow lens worked. Just one of those things.

#10 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:54 PM

Ed, thanks for your reply. Well next I will try my 2.5x Powermate and see how that works. BUT, it has a very long length on it and will be sticking out pretty far and somewhat heavy. I thought I would get more feedback from other CN members who are actually using the WO with their Dobs?

As for getting my Denk to work in it, I guess I'll just have to call Russ and get the adapter for it.

Bob

#11 TomCorbett

TomCorbett

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:40 PM

REC...

I am sorry, but I have no suggestions for you--however, I am very interested in your results.

Please hang in there and find a configuration that works.

#12 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:58 PM

Tom, ok I will keep you posted. I'm going to send an email to WO and see what they say....stay tuned.

Bob

#13 pftarch

pftarch

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:05 PM

Have you tried the filter body extension technique? With my Z10 my best results came from stacking three 1 1/4" filter bodies together (with the actual colored glass removed) and screwing that between the supplied 1.6 corrector and my WO bino's. I believe it resulted in about a 2.1 x Barlow effect and allowed me to reach focus. You may just want to stack three filters together before you take the glass out and see if you can focus on the bright moon.

Peter T

#14 Messyone

Messyone

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Down Under

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:37 AM

I binoed on a Skywatcher 8" f5 with the standard I.e. not low profile focuser with the 1.6 OCA and WO binos without problem so I'm having trouble understanding what your doing...can you post a photo of the set up? Skywatcher have an awful 2-1.25" adaptor, hi hat style that did a good job of mucking up focusing with a number of eyepieces. A picture would help.
Matt

#15 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:23 AM

Thanks for these two ideas, will try the filter trick and also my 2.5X Powermate.

I tried a 35mm extension tube, but guess it was too long? I spoke to OPT last night and they have a 25mm tube extension that he thought would do the trick, so maybe try that? I'm going to try screwing in the 1.6x and then manually pull the BV out of the focuser to see if there is a just right distance and mark it. Then I will have a better idea how much of an extension I need.

I want to get this fixed by Saturday as we will have a few clear nights for the first time in months and the Moon won't be out, so looking for some of the brighter globs to view in the BV. Anyone have good luck on DSO's with BV?

Thanks again for all your suggestions!

Bob

#16 Hothersale

Hothersale

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Victoria, BC

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:32 AM

I tried a 35mm extension tube, but guess it was too long? I spoke to OPT last night and they have a 25mm tube extension that he thought would do the trick, so maybe try that? I'm going to try screwing in the 1.6x and then manually pull the BV out of the focuser to see if there is a just right distance and mark it. Then I will have a better idea how much of an extension I need.

Have you tried using the nosepiece and NO extension tubes? Assuming you are talking about focuser extension tubes, I don't think you should be using any extension tubes at all.

#17 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:00 PM

Well yeah, that was my first move, just insert them into the focus and it would not focus. I have sent an email to WO asking them for advise.

Thanks,

Bob

#18 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:27 PM

I don't know if you are doing this Bob, but the typical "newt mode" for a binoviewer involves an extra long nosepiece with a barlow element attached to the end. The extra long nosepiece mimics the extra long light path of a diagonal. Check the Denkmeier manual to get an idea.

#19 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:39 PM

Thanks Johnny, wow that is a huge set of tubes sticking out of the BV! Hoped I didn't have to go that long and I see you must use a OCS with all of them.

Seems BV with a SCT is much easier!

#20 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:50 PM

They look longer because it's 1.25". Its possible to achieve focus with a slightly shorter tube, it all depends on your setup. Generally speaking though the nosepiece needs to be as long as the binoviewer and with a barlow on front to create "negative lightpath".

#21 pftarch

pftarch

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:32 PM

What eyepieces were you using? I ask this because if you are using a high or even moderate power eyepiece and you are using a 2" Barlow, the final Barlow effect would be more like 5x. If you are using 20 mm eyepieces at 5x you are getting up around 300x on your scope. At those powers conditions may not let you focus even in mono mode.

I will say that I am surprised that the extension tube with the 1.6 Barlow didn't work. For me the longer the extension tube or Barlow power the easier it is to focus. The problem being that the resultant magnification increase makes the views unusable, or extreme limited. I also doubt that a low profile focuser will give you enough back focus.

Peter T

#22 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:30 AM

Hi Peter, I was using the supplied 20mm EP in it. Yes the 1.6x would not come to focus even If I added more extension tubes, which I think is going the wrong way anyway. The 2x barlow was the short type and that did not work either.

I sent this question over to WO and they came back with this reply. Seems they don't have a solution either!

"Many telescopes, especially Newtonian reflectors, do not have sufficient back-focus to achieve focus with such an optically long accessory. By using a barlow, the focal point of the telescope can be extended sufficiently to accommodate the length of the binoviewer.

We recommend first choosing the lowest powered barlow that will allow your scope to reach focus. This will permit the widest possible field of view. In addition, one or more higher powered compensators can be added to give a greater range of magnifications.

You already tried 1.6x and you also can try 2x barlow for Binos.

It would be easier if you check with your telescope maker if the model you have bino friendly or not.

Best regards,

Tim

WO

#23 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:54 AM

Ok, update...I just spoke to Russ at Denkmier and told him I needed an adapter OCS for my Denk2 and so he is sending me that and the middle spacer for my Dob and that's that I guess. Since I can't get the WO to focus with the Dob even though it a lighter set up, I'm just going to sell the WO and be done with it.

He told me that with my 20mm EP's I would get about 80x as the lowest power, so that sounds good. I'll use the 26SP for lowest power and brighter EP for DSO's

Stay tuned!

Bob

#24 MaestroMyth

MaestroMyth

Viking 1

• Loc: CT

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:17 PM

i had the same problem as you with my WO binoviewer and solved it, thanks to help from this forum. i ordered this from siebert optics:

http://www.siebertop...ss125xto3x.html

i use this with my A12 and my WO binoviewer. works great, and i get three magnification options.

#25 SkyGibbon

SkyGibbon

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Las Vegas, Nevada

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:32 AM

I was able to achieve focus by Attaching three unused filter cells (with filter glass out of course)to bino nosepiece and screwing on the 2x element of a shorty barlow to the end of filters. When I switched to a low profile focuser, I was able to do the same with the 1.6x corrector that came with the WO viewers. You will have to move mirror up to do it without any correctors.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics