"SPACE Scope" 60mm refractor ??

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 bob midiri

bob midiri

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: pa 19320

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:42 PM

Hi just wondering, has anyone heard of a company called "Space Scope" made in Japan? Its a 60mm with 910mm fl refractor. Comes with 6mm and 12.5mm HM, 26mm Kellner, 32mmAH, and a 30mm Terrestrial eyepiece?, wooden case, sun and moon filters, solar screen, EQ mount that looks Royal astro from the picture. Any ideas about this scope? I personally never heard of this one before. Here is a bad picture. thanks Bob

Attached Files

#2 sgorton99

sgorton99

Gemini

• Loc: Wisconsin, Madison

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:35 PM

Here is one I used to have.

Attached Files

#3 tag1260

tag1260

Apollo

• Loc: Ohio, USA

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:29 PM

Looks almost identical to my Tasco 7T.

#4 madeline

madeline

Viking 1

• Loc: Bloomington, MN

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:32 PM

Looks like a Royal Astro rebranded.

#5 bob midiri

bob midiri

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:49 PM

Here is one I used to have.

Steve do you recall it being a royal astro? Sure looks like it. I waiting for the guy to send me pictures.

#6 CharlieB

CharlieB

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern NH

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:31 PM

It's almost certainly a Royal Astro rebrand. There is an ad for it on page 53 of the 1956 Popular Mechanics (which you can access at Google books). By the way, I have the Space Scope previously owned by Steve. It's identical to my S-5. I think a leading 0 was added to the serial numbering system, as this one has a number of 019244, which would put it someowhat close to my S-5 (11925).

#7 albert1

albert1

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern New Jersey

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:52 PM

Mine's Royal , Bob.

Nice kit. Great optics. Even though I love the knobs, I'd rather long cable controls to make adjustment a little easier. Other than that minor criticism it's wonderfully built. Oh, it also has the larger diameter drawtube. You can use a 36mm adapter for using 1.25" stuff. I like these little scopes with that large focuser drawtube. :cool:

#8 sgorton99

sgorton99

Gemini

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:30 PM

Lens

Attached Files

#9 sgorton99

sgorton99

Gemini

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:31 PM

Badge

Attached Files

#10 Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ca.

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:37 PM

Research Optical company was an L.A. company.
Original handbook a <SYW> YAMAMOTO SEISAKUSHO.KK
I like the scope!

Attached Files

#11 Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:42 PM

S/N 9841. Wouldn't suprise me if different manufactures were used.

I'm the third owner. The second owner purchased the scope from a neighbor around 1966 or so I was told.

Attached Files

#12 Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:11 PM

The Vixen 1.25 adapter threads right to the draw tube. Focus travel works with all 1.25 oculars and a 2.5 X Tele Vue barlow.

Correcting for initial collimation errors this scope gets used at 300 power quite easily.

Attached Files

#13 bob midiri

bob midiri

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:48 PM

So Bill, you can collimate the optics in yours, I was looking at pictures of Steve's scope, and it appears his scope didn't have collimation push-pull cell. Bob

#14 Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:20 PM

Sorry Bob. :foreheadslap:

I should have said squaring up the focuser with a laser collimator and grid paper.

The cell was tightened just a little to much so I backed that off and then checked with a monochromatic light source. The Newton rings are centered and are very consistent across the objective now. I used a Cheshire to ascertain final.

Will do some work on the drawtube tolerance (sag). I'm pretty happy with it though.

When a chance comes along I'll spend some lab time on Null testing the herd for quantifiable data.

I'm hoping to hear about another Space Scope in the clan! :jump:

Anyone checking out Nova Del?
Bill

#15 Joe Cepleur

Joe Cepleur

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Dark North Woods

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:34 PM

squaring up the focuser with a laser collimator and grid paper.

There's a skill I'd like to learn. Are there any threads explaining how to do that?

#16 Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:53 PM

Joe

It's part of my day job to figure this kind of stuff up.

I bet a couple of hundred ATMers came to the same conclusion as I did about 20 yrs.ago. probably a cottage based idea.

Page 5 Pinched Optics classic forum.

Clear Skies

Bill

Attached Files

#17 Stargoat

Stargoat

Messenger

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:38 PM

S/N 9841. Wouldn't suprise me if different manufactures were used.

I'm the third owner. The second owner purchased the scope from a neighbor around 1966 or so I was told.

Hello Bill and everyone.

Bill, does your serial number (red or white lettering) have a zero in front of the 9841 or are you referring to the lens cell serial number? Either way, could you please confirm and share both serial numbers with us. What type of lens cell do you have? See below for three styles offered depending on either the supplier of lens cells to Space Scopes or based on the age of the scopes.

Reason I ask is that I have only three of these late 50s Space Scopes by the Research Optical Co to document so far. One being Alberts, another Steves/Charlies and finally one I came across.

So far, none of these scopes have the "Royal" lens cell design with the collimatable cell. In fact I'm finding that this is also true with the earliest Tasco brand of telescopes from the mid to late 1950s as well.

Here in order of lowest serial number:

Documented Scope per me:
Serial Number 014156 in red lettering.
Lens cell with no engraving. Has front retaining ring similar to the Swift brand.
This one matches the 1956 Popular Mechanics that Charlie is referring to exactly. Note the ad shows an appendage on the top side of the solar projection screen rod in the smaller actual photo of the scope...will need a magnifier to see it :grin:.

This is first scope that I've come across with this part. Surely there must be more like this hiding somewhere. See photo of this unusual (rare?) appendage on top of the Solar Rod.

Alberts:
Serial Number 016985 in red lettering.
Lens cell engraved with Danchyka., D=60mm, f=910mm and No. 38859.

Steves/Charlies:
Serial Number 019244 in white lettering.
Lens cell engraved with D=60mm, f=910mm and No. 1334.

It will be interesting to see where Bobs new Space Scope fits in here and where yours does as well Bill.

Stephen

Attached Files

#18 Joe Cepleur

Joe Cepleur

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Dark North Woods

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

Page 5 Pinched Optics classic forum.

Does anyone have the exact link? I could not find the post about squaring focusers (another example of the weak search on these forums, in need of new software). Much obliged if anyone can help.

Thanks,

Joe

#19 Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:05 PM

Joe
Maybe this will work! I'll PM you later if you would like.
http://www.cloudynig...5959552/page...

Stephen,

The serial no. is on the Space Scope label on the tailstock (focuser) it is white umbers. No zero in front of 9841

The front cell has no information on the front cell

Note: the long declination slo mo cable that was stock on 9841 compared to Bob's photo and Steve's photo. showing dec. slow mo knobs to the rear of the clamshell. I believe Albert's is the same way as theirs.

I would believe 9841 is a later version.

Thanks Bill

#20 Stargoat

Stargoat

Messenger

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:17 PM

Joe
Maybe this will work! I'll PM you later if you would like.
http://www.cloudynig...5959552/page...

Stephen,

The serial no. is on the Space Scope label on the tailstock (focuser) it is white umbers. No zero in front of 9841
The front cell has no information on the front cell

Note: the long declination slo mo cable that was stock on 9841 compared to Bob's photo and Steve's photo. showing dec. slow mo knobs to the rear of the clamshell. I believe Albert's is the same way as theirs.

I would believe 9841 is a later version.

Thanks Bill

Hello Bill, thks for the information.

Interesting about the serial number indeed.

I now see above the serial number another line of information. D=60mm f=910mm Is this correct?

The usage of capital letters along with the addition of the D and f information seems logical that your scope is a newer version in my book. I can see where at some point they decided to change the serial number format for various reasons as well. It also makes sense that the the long declination slo mo cable was added to the newer models.

I've attached the lens cell photo from the 014056 scope. Is your cell the exact same design?

Stephen

Attached Files

#21 T1R2

T1R2

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: NeverWhere, 35*N

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:52 AM

concerning the drawtube sag, I fixed mine with a 1/2" x 2" strip of felt sticky tact to the top of the inside drawtube housing, it was tight but I wore it down with the butt of a screw driver handle until it allowed the drawtube to slide through snugly without pushing it out, if its still to tight you can use construction paper instead of felt.

#22 Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:35 AM

Stephen,

Other than the slotted external threaded ring being black the objective cell appears the same.

I've surmised that Research Optical company was a rather small company importing only a limited amounts of 60mm refractors renaming as Space Scope.

That, or there are hoards of them in attics and garages somewhere! :grin:

I really like the scope for many reasons the name reminds me of being a kid in the early sixties watching the cartoon "Space Angel" I then became addicted to the Gemini program and Walter Cronkite! :bow:.

Maybe Lew is monitoring this thread and could give a clue on the company?

Bob, any news?

Bill
  • scopelover likes this

#23 madeline

madeline

Viking 1

• Loc: Bloomington, MN

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:43 AM

I believe that Research Optical scopes were sold thru a department store in California.

#24 bob midiri

bob midiri

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:50 AM

Stephen,

Other than the slotted external threaded ring being black the objective cell appears the same.

I've surmised that Research Optical company was a rather small company importing only a limited amounts of 60mm refractors renaming as Space Scope.

That, or there are hoards of them in attics and garages somewhere! :grin:

I really like the scope for many reasons the name reminds me of being a kid in the early sixties watching the cartoon "Space Angel" I then became addicted to the Gemini program and Walter Cronkite! :bow:.

Maybe Lew is monitoring this thread and could give a clue on the company?

Bob, any news?

Bill

Well Bill your story sounds a lot like mine regarding the Gemini program, then Apollo and Walter!! The gent selling scope said he will get back to me today, I asked if I could pick it up Wednesday morning on my way home from work.

#25 Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:03 AM

:jump: :jump: :photo:

Bob, The Space Scope will fit right in at home with the Orange herd!

Bill

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics