Do they make a mount like this anymore?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Rapp

Michael Rapp

Gemini

• Loc: Dickinson, TX

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:39 PM

My all-time favorite visual mount (with one exception) is the equatorial Meade 826C mount. I loved it as it had a friction clutch.....you push the scope to where you want it and when you stop, the RA drive engages.

The exception, of course, is that for the 8" f/6 reflector it was to support it was quite undermounted.

I've been using my iEQ45 tonight for visual and while this mount is an excellent astrophotography mount, I wish I could just push and pull the tube to where I want to go.

Other than an equatorial platform for a dob, does anyone make a friction clutch equatorial mount anymore? It would have to be a non-goto mount, of course, as a friction clutch would instantly remove any alignment.

#2 Michael Rapp

Michael Rapp

Gemini

• Loc: Dickinson, TX

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:43 PM

My Google-Fu is not working this evening, apparently!

I just found that the GM8 and GM11 use friction clutches! I had no idea!

Any others?

#3 hottr6

hottr6

Vanguard

• Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:23 AM

Byers and Schaeffer (both also NLA).

To be correct, the RA drive is always engaged; that's why they use clutches.

#4 MikeCMP

MikeCMP

Vostok 1

• Loc: Chardon OH

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:23 AM

The Skywatcher EQ-8 apparently has encoders so you can push it around and retain your goto alignment.

Eventually I would love to have one, they look pretty nice, fairly new right now so not a huge amount of reviews at the moment.

Mike

#5 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:55 PM

The Sky-Watcher AZ-EQ6 GT also has separate encoders so you can push it around and maintain your alignment. So far I've only been using the mount as a "dumb mount" for solar outreach, so I can't really say how well the encoders work. The manual does admit that some people might prefer to turn the encoders off for better accuracy and that option is available.

#6 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:23 AM

The Sky-Watcher AZ-EQ6 GT also has separate encoders so you can push it around and maintain your alignment.

I don't think the issue here is maintaining GOTO alignment, it is the use of clutches rather than locks so that the mount can be used DOB style, it has nice, easy motions but tracks at high magnifications. With a modern mount, I try to adjust the locks so they slip but in my experience it's never as smooth as I would like so I end up using the hand controller to center object, a hassle I prefer to avoid.

My ideal GEM would have a clutch and a manual slow motion control on each axis with a single drive on the RA. That way any fine tuning could be done manually. This is easy for the Dec axis but rather difficult for the RA axis because you need to drive from two sources. With the old clutch style drives, if there is any lost motion in the drive, getting it centered at high magnifications is tricky. A slow motion control on the RA axis would resolve this issue.

Jon

#7 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:20 AM

Jon, I believe there were certain revisions of the AP400 which came with manual slo-mos.. I am fairly sure it doesn't use a friction clutch though.

#8 urassner

urassner

Ranger 4

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:07 AM

Not made anymore, but the Celestron CI-700 has 2 friction clutches on each axis: One so you can push the telescope and a second one at the manual control / motor assembly. You can set the friction, so that the motor still engages and tracks/moves RA/Dec but when you turn the manual control, the slip clutch allows the worm gear to move without the motor turning.

Attached Files

#9 frito

frito

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Fremont, CA

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:18 AM

just throwing it out there because nobody has mentioned it but the Orion Goto dob's allow this type of use. not going to be what you want to get if you intend to do AP but if you just want a 8 or 10" newt for visual that has goto and pushto thats probably the way to go.

#10 schluterdude

schluterdude

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Centerville, OH

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:59 PM

If you want that Meade mount, pm me. I just got an AVX...

#11 astrophile

astrophile

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Chaise-lounge, 18x50s in hand...

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:56 PM

I just found that the GM8 and GM11 use friction clutches! I had no idea!

They sure do, and their movement is wonderful. I love pushing the scope around manually on either one just to feel the silky-precise motions. :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics