• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 exmedia

exmedia

Ranger 4

• Loc: Orange County, CA

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:19 AM

Hi all,

I have a 6 year old LX90 8" I bought on CN (very satisfied). It's my first SCT and I'm getting to know it. Last night I tried my WO binoviewer with it and it worked great. (This is a relief as I've tried unsuccessfully to get the BV to work with my ES refractor, but that's for another thread.) Anyway, my question is this:

Is it advisable to use a weight at the front of the scope to offset the binoviewer weight? The SCT came with ADM brackets top and bottom and a set of weights, as well. The scope is NOT on an EQ wedge.

If use of weights is suggested, does it matter if I put them on the top or bottom of the OTA?

Any tips on balancing? The SCT balance seems quite different that balancing with an GEM.

Thanks!

Richard

#2 wags1

wags1

Explorer 1

• Loc: PA, USA

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:41 AM

Yes, you should try to balance it in two dimensions. This provides a simple but good explination with diagrams that should help - Balancing an SCT

#3 gavinm

gavinm

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Auckland New Zealand

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:59 PM

If the LX90 has the same bolt holes as the LX200 then...

you can quickly and roughly balance the front of the OTA by using the holes already drilled in the front metal casting. Get the right size bolt (thread) and attach (via solder/welding/washers etc) a gym weight. It can screw straight onto the OTA. simple and effective. There are holes down the centerline and offset it you want to be East heavy. Once it is roughly balanced, you can do fine stuff if necessary with a 3D balancing system. Basically you are adding weights straight to the OTA.

Hard to describe, but I hope you get the idea (sorry I dont have a picture).

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics