Photo

Ipad telescope control w/o hand controller?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jc_colorado

jc_colorado

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:57 AM

Hello there. I have been using Starry Night with Eqmod and subsequently sold my hand controller to my Atlas EQG 6 years ago. Now I have an Ipad and I have downloaded Sky Safari Pro and am wondering if there is way with this app or other apps to drive the scope via the Ipad wirelessly without having the hand controller. I know shoestring astronomy has a BT adapter and I currently use their Eqdir interface without any issues so maybe there is hope there. The SkyFi adapter would have been great but it seems to require the hand controller. So do I have any options or do I need to purchase another hand controller to have this luxury? I would be willing to drive wirelessly via macbook or laptop if I had to but am really trying to get there via an Ipda. Any help is appreciated.

James

#2 frito

frito

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Fremont, CA

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:42 AM

i'm not too familar with Eqmod but this should work for you if Eqmod will assign virtual com ports for other programs to connect to

http://mainsequences...ducts/WiFiScope

I have used it before on my CG-5 and know that with a HC or using Nexremote it will do what you are looking to do so Eqmod should be able to do the same thing i would think.

#3 telfish

telfish

Messenger

• Loc: Adirondack Mountains NY

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:00 PM

I use WiFi Scope with the shoestring Bluetooth adapter and an Ipad running Sky Safari. It all works well together using Eqascom.

#4 tclehman1969

tclehman1969

Ranger 4

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:06 PM

That would be great to be able to remove the hand controller from the equation and connect to the drive through a Bluetooth or wifi system.

I have an iPad, too, and right now I use Sky Safari on my ipad through wifi using the Orion wifi unit which plugs into the hand controller.

#5 jc_colorado

jc_colorado

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:20 PM

It sounds like the only option is as previously stated, to use WiFi scope and BT adapter. Though I'm assuming that the mount is still wired to a laptop and ipad speaks to the mount via the laptop. Can you elaborate Telfish on your setup?

Astro Device Nexus requires connection through the hand controller per Serge of Astro Device.

SkiFi and SkyWire requires connection through the hand controller.

#6 frito

frito

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Fremont, CA

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:01 AM

correct wifi scope needs to run on a laptop that is connected to the telescope directly. with nexstar scopes i know you must either align the mount with the HC and connect the PC via the HC's serial port or use nexremote (PC version of the HC) to align the mount.

with Synscan mounts using Eqmod without a HC it would be the same thing except Eqmod is nexremote, its the actual control/interface software. iPad software will never directly fully control your mount, it needs a software layer infront of it that is made to directly communicate with the motor control board just like nexstar mounts (they are very similar to synscan, made by the same company) celestron mounts do have an option to do what your looking to do, its the SkyQ link device, it is a wifi device that replaces the HC completely and then connects to an ipad/iphone running celestrons software to fully control the mount. the issue i take with that setup is your stuck with celestrons software, using Eqmod and then wifiscope is the way to go, as you already use eqmod you already have the laptop running the mount so wifiscope is just an interface layer ontop of that to allow your skysafari device to control the scope once its setup.

#7 hottr6

hottr6

Vanguard

• Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:42 PM

Would the AstroDevices Nexus be a plug and play solution?

#8 jc_colorado

jc_colorado

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:30 PM

The Nexus is requird to be connected to the handset however they may have an upcoming product soon that may provide a solution.

#9 MikeCMP

MikeCMP

Vostok 1

• Loc: Chardon OH

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:35 PM

Right now I connect my mount to a EQdir module, which plugs into a USB to serial converter. Why is it not possible to just connected the nexus to the EQdir, treat it as a wifi serial port, and have it work in that manner?

Mike

#10 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:51 PM

Hello there. I have been using Starry Night with Eqmod and subsequently sold my hand controller to my Atlas EQG 6 years ago. Now I have an Ipad and I have downloaded Sky Safari Pro and am wondering if there is way with this app or other apps to drive the scope via the Ipad wirelessly without having the hand controller. I know shoestring astronomy has a BT adapter and I currently use their Eqdir interface without any issues so maybe there is hope there. The SkyFi adapter would have been great but it seems to require the hand controller. So do I have any options or do I need to purchase another hand controller to have this luxury? I would be willing to drive wirelessly via macbook or laptop if I had to but am really trying to get there via an Ipda. Any help is appreciated.

James

No, there is no way to leave the HC out of the loop without EQMOD. Maybe EQMOD or a similar driver will get ported to iOS someday...that or something similar is what it will take. ;)

#11 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:54 PM

I use WiFi Scope with the shoestring Bluetooth adapter and an Ipad running Sky Safari. It all works well together using Eqascom.

It does. BUT you have to have EQMOD running on a computer connected to the telescope, you can't do it with just a tablet. ;)

#12 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:56 PM

Right now I connect my mount to a EQdir module, which plugs into a USB to serial converter. Why is it not possible to just connected the nexus to the EQdir, treat it as a wifi serial port, and have it work in that manner?

Mike

Well, let's see...first you'll need a USB port on the pad.

Assuming you can do that, the show-stopper is that EQMOD will have to run on your device. It's currently available only as an ASCOM driver, and ASCOM only runs on PCs.

#13 MikeCMP

MikeCMP

Vostok 1

• Loc: Chardon OH

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:28 PM

Mike

Well, let's see...first you'll need a USB port on the pad.

Assuming you can do that, the show-stopper is that EQMOD will have to run on your device. It's currently available only as an ASCOM driver, and ASCOM only runs on PCs.

Sorry, I was not being clear. I was intending that the laptop could be set away from the mount, so there are fewer wires to trip over. So the laptop would have EQ mod running, treating the nexus as the serial port.

That would work right?

Mike

#14 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:57 PM

Sorry, I was not being clear. I was intending that the laptop could be set away from the mount, so there are fewer wires to trip over. So the laptop would have EQ mod running, treating the nexus as the serial port.

That would work right?

Mike

Maybe. You'd have to have a program running on the iPad (or whatever) that can communicate which whichever program is connected to the EQMOD driver.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics