•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mystery 12.5" F/6 mirror, good deal or great deal? *DELETED*

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cerberus

Cerberus

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Wichita, Kansas

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:10 AM

Post deleted by Cerberus

#2 Cerberus

Cerberus

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:21 AM

Forgot to mention the mirror is a full 2" in thickness, looked really good (to the eyeball) except for the minor clouding and tiny pinpoints of light showing through. The clouding MIGHT come off in a light bath, but honestly I have seen worse mirrors in scopes that were still being used.

#3 rolo

rolo

Vanguard

• Loc: GA, USA

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:47 AM

If that's all the info you have about the mirror I would test it before you buy it. Also, it can be recoated for alot less than 300...

#4 Cerberus

Cerberus

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:45 AM

D'oh... I posted a response but it didn't go through. I was probably looking at $300 for testing (Swayze) then coating at spectrum.

I have no way to test before buying as its a disembodied mirror. That's a good reason to pass I guess.

There's a 12" Apertura on craiglist I'm looking at instead. A complete scope for nearly the same price rather than just a mirror is a better deal.

If I like the 12" Dob I can always go ahead and build around that mirror, then replace it with something in a longer F-ratio eventually and extend the trusses/tweak the balance.

Never owned a DOB before as I didn't like the ones I have used, but I have an appetite for larger aperture.

Thanks!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics