Cerberus

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:10 AM

Post deleted by Cerberus

#2 Cerberus

Cerberus

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:21 AM

Forgot to mention the mirror is a full 2" in thickness, looked really good (to the eyeball) except for the minor clouding and tiny pinpoints of light showing through. The clouding MIGHT come off in a light bath, but honestly I have seen worse mirrors in scopes that were still being used.

#3 rolo

rolo

Apollo

• Loc: GA, USA

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:47 AM

If that's all the info you have about the mirror I would test it before you buy it. Also, it can be recoated for alot less than 300...

#4 Cerberus

Cerberus

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:45 AM

D'oh... I posted a response but it didn't go through. I was probably looking at $300 for testing (Swayze) then coating at spectrum.

I have no way to test before buying as its a disembodied mirror. That's a good reason to pass I guess.

There's a 12" Apertura on craiglist I'm looking at instead. A complete scope for nearly the same price rather than just a mirror is a better deal.

If I like the 12" Dob I can always go ahead and build around that mirror, then replace it with something in a longer F-ratio eventually and extend the trusses/tweak the balance.

Never owned a DOB before as I didn't like the ones I have used, but I have an appetite for larger aperture.

Thanks!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics