Alignment stars

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Qwickdraw

Qwickdraw

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ann Arbor, MI

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:20 AM

Before I did an upgrade to my autostar II and went from a 10" to a 12" LX200GPS I used to be given two stars by name to slew to during alignment. I liked this because I could find the exact star without any doubt on Sky Safari. Now it only slews to an area without giving me the specific named stars. Does anybody know why this is and where/if I can change it back?

#2 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:24 PM

Pressing "?" should make the name of the star appear in the display. Page 20 in the manual.

Also, you can turn off "Brightest Star" in the Utilities Menu. Page 28 in the manual.

#3 Qwickdraw

Qwickdraw

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:03 PM

Chris,

Thanks for the explanation. I was thinking I did it during a firmware update. I am already struggling with image shift that makes the scope almost unusable. I know you have experience with Meade repairs. Any suggestions besides the grease application?

#4 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Vanguard

• Moderators

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:29 PM

Chris,

Thanks for the explanation. I was thinking I did it during a firmware update. I am already struggling with image shift that makes the scope almost unusable. I know you have experience with Meade repairs. Any suggestions besides the grease application?

I don't know how much image shift you are experiencing and it is normal or abnormal.

I heavier grease on the baffle tube can help to a degree.

What I do is use a Crayford focuser, 2" dielectric diagonal and the mirror-lock. I put the Crayford in the middle of its range, focus on something at infinity and then lock the mirror and use the Crayford for focusing.

I also start with my lowest-powered eyepiece when GOTO'ing an object. I then center it and move up in power as desired.

I hope this helps.

#5 Qwickdraw

Qwickdraw

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:38 AM

Chris,

I don't know how much image shift you are experiencing and it is normal or abnormal.

What I do is use a Crayford focuser, 2" dielectric diagonal and the mirror-lock. I put the Crayford in the middle of its range, focus on something at infinity and then lock the mirror and use the Crayford for focusing.

I also start with my lowest-powered eyepiece when GOTO'ing an object. I then center it and move up in power as desired.

I hope this helps.

Yes, that is the procedure the prior owner used. I wanted to use a binoviewer so I eagerly purchased a Binotron 27 from Denk. Unfortunately the use of a binoviewer and a focuser will be too much weight and back focus. I think I may be forced to give up the binoviewer and go strictly mono.

#6 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Vanguard

• Moderators

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:47 AM

Chris,

I hope this helps.

Yes, that is the procedure the prior owner used. I wanted to use a binoviewer so I eagerly purchased a Binotron 27 from Denk. Unfortunately the use of a binoviewer and a focuser will be too much weight and back focus. I think I may be forced to give up the binoviewer and go strictly mono.

Don't give up on Binoviewing! Especially with a Denk! I have a Denk-II system and love it. Maybe give Russ a call and talk to him about your binoviewing issues and see what he says.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics