Criterion Zoom Lens

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Doc Willie

Doc Willie

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:08 PM

Our club recently received a Criteron Dynamax (don't snigger - it's looking pretty good from our preliminary tests). Included was an 8.4-21 zoom lens, like this one that recently passed through CN classifieds.

Does anyone know who made these, and have any opinions (I know, hard to find around here ;-) on the quality of this EP?

#2 youngamateur42

youngamateur42

Surveyor 1

• Loc: La Verne, CA

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:16 PM

I thought about buying that one, as it would be cool to go with my RV-6, the seller told me the field was very narrow, and recommended a Celestron or Parks 8-24mm zoom, buy for nostalgia, very cool

#3 Doc Willie

Doc Willie

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:45 AM

Nobody knows who make these?

#4 Jim Rosenstock

Jim Rosenstock

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: MD, south of the DC Nebula

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:13 PM

This zoom eyepiece was marketed by multiple vendors, including University Optics during their "zebra" period.

Perhaps it was a "Circle-T" product, but I'm uncertain. I bought one ("for nostalgia") a few years ago, but it doesn't get any use....the optics are neither bad nor excellent, and the apparent field of view is indeed limited.

If you really want to use a zoom eyepiece, get a newer one, for more than $30....

I'll check when I get home to see if any manufacturer's sticker remains on mine...

Cheers,

Jim

#5 PiSigma

PiSigma

Surveyor 1

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:17 PM

Mine is marked Circle Y just like all of my Criterion eyepieces. I don't think we have established who made Circle Y items. This logo is different than the Circle Y on Eikow items.

Attached Files

#6 Doc Willie

Doc Willie

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:02 AM

Not looking for a zoom lens. Just trying to figure out what we have got.

#7 greju

greju

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:54 PM

Jon, I always thought of the symbol on yours as the Circle Mercedes Symbol. ;) Versus this Celestron Ortho that looks to me to be Circle Y. Mine and yours obviously being different manufacturers.

Attached Files

#8 greju

greju

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:01 PM

An early Edscorp with the Mercedes symbol.

Attached Files

#9 Gil V

Gil V

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:15 PM

We bouht all of our eyepieces from Japan when I was at Criterion. That particular zoom eyepiece I never liked - the actual field of view was the same regardless of what power it was set to. Kind of pointless.

#10 PiSigma

PiSigma

Surveyor 1

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:38 PM

Circle Mercedes - I like that. It does distinguish between the Y with the legs 120 degrees apart and the one that is more like a Y. I still don't know who made either. I just sold an Edscorp barlow just like yours.

I went back and looked at my Criterion EP collection. Quite a few of them are stamped in the top with a Y. A number are stamped on the barrel with what is closer to the Mercedes emblem. But most of those do not have a Y where the legs are perfectly 120 degrees apart yet the top of the Y is further apart than a normal Y. Not sure what it all means or if they are all from the same manufacturer.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics