Harry seibert still in business

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 tonylumps

tonylumps

Sputnik

• Loc: Newtown Square Pa

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:52 AM

I ordered from him 2 months ago still have not recieved anything.Wandering if he is still in business. Not returning emails. Do not want to call just yet If I file a claim with PayPal. I want proof of contactHas anyone had a problem with this guy.

#2 Jawaid I. Abbasi

Jawaid I. Abbasi

Vanguard

• Loc: LEVITTOWN, PA

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:08 AM

Tony,
He is a trustworthy person. I highly suggest to call him

#3 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:46 AM

But, he IS slow in responding.

#4 tonylumps

tonylumps

Sputnik

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:40 PM

Ok I heard from Harry today He will ship today.I am not used to having someone sitting on my Money for 2 months most people I deal with with will not charge an account until shipment. First time I dealt with Harry so now I know what to expect. I hope his system works It would be worth the wait If not.. Thanks for your feedback

#5 TG

TG

Apollo

• -----
  • Moderators
  • Loc: Latitude 47

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:39 PM

Ok I heard from Harry today He will ship today.I am not used to having someone sitting on my Money for 2 months most people I deal with with will not charge an account until shipment. First time I dealt with Harry so now I know what to expect. I hope his system works It would be worth the wait If not.. Thanks for your feedback

I have owned Siebert Black Knight BVs in the past with all their plethora of accessories (Multimag OCA, reducers, amplifiers, filter wheel). The BV was close in performance to the Mark V. Its mechanical build quality actually seemed superior to the Mark V. It had fine focus adjustment on both eyepieces holders and the multimag OCA worked well in both refractors and Newts.

In all a quality piece and that I bought used and had to have serviced by Harry to realign it. He was very responsive and called me within two weeks to tell me what was wrong with it (just out of whack), what the charge was and when I could get it back (a few days).

Sometimes, things just fall through. It's better to pick up the phone in that case.

Tanveer.

#6 TG

TG

Apollo

• -----
  • Moderators
  • Loc: Latitude 47

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:42 PM

BTW, one of the problems with binoviewers, if not done right, is unequal color balance on the two sides. The Mark V has absolutely indentical color balance (somebody posted a histogram). Here's the one I took of the Siebert one. Not bad at all.

Tanveer.

Attached Files

#7 Hothersale

Hothersale

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Victoria, BC

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:29 PM

Holy cow, you aren't kidding, Tanveer. I was just doing some daylight testing of some eyepieces in my WO binos and the color difference jumped out at me. One side is distinctly red and the other is green. I wonder if all "cheap" binos are like this?

#8 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:12 AM

C'mon guys that's why 3D glasses are red and green. I want binos that deliver that "3D" effect! :rofl2: Mike

#9 Hothersale

Hothersale

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:28 AM

:funny:

Interestingly, the color difference was MUCH harder to detect while looking at the moon last night. And of course it's not noticeable at all when looking with both eyes open.

#10 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:59 PM

Incidentally, Tanveer Gani, that was a very interesting observation (and graph) with regard to color balance. Thanks!

#11 deepsky4565

deepsky4565

Lift Off

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:48 PM

I've had a 2" binoviewer on order from him for almost 2 years! He seems like a great guy, but wow.

#12 tonylumps

tonylumps

Sputnik

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:41 PM

Did he he tell you in advance it would be 2 years and did you pay when ordered

#13 Hothersale

Hothersale

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:35 PM

I got a bit burned dealing with a one-man operation once. His workmanship and communication were good, but an item was damaged during return shipping and he never made it right. As the recipient, I couldn't file an insurance claim -- only the shipper could do that. Unfortunately, there were cross-border complications and he didn't pursue it very far. Pretty soon he stopped responding to my emails altogether. In the end, it cost me about $200 to replace the damaged item.

My story has NOTHING to do with Harry Siebert, but I am definitely more wary of working with one-man operations. They can provide excellent services that are available nowhere else... but you also might have fewer assurances and less recourse if something goes sideways.

#14 deepsky4565

deepsky4565

Lift Off

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:54 PM

No, as he says on his website up to a year wait, but had told me when I ordered it would likely be "in a few months." I'm not bashing him, I really like him, but he really needs to have a realistic wait time.

#15 tonylumps

tonylumps

Sputnik

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

He called me and told me my 2 pieces of glass would be here thursday passed. Now when I checked on the tracking # It is Missent what ever that means.Ok he is nice Guy everybody agrees. But I will not order from him again.

#16 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:09 AM

No, as he says on his website up to a year wait, but had told me when I ordered it would likely be "in a few months." I'm not bashing him, I really like him, but he really needs to have a realistic wait time.

Things like that can happen everywhere unfortunately. I once orderd a Baader prism (directly from them) and every six weeks I was told it would probably be another six weeks; ended up waiting almost a year.

#17 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:59 AM

Yes, It normally is standard paractice to not accept full payment until the job is completed and ready to ship. Many large jobs require half down payment, to minimize the risk of the maker in case the buyer backs out after work was started.

#18 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:05 AM

I got a bit burned dealing with a one-man operation once. His workmanship and communication were good, but an item was damaged during return shipping and he never made it right. As the recipient, I couldn't file an insurance claim -- only the shipper could do that. Unfortunately, there were cross-border complications and he didn't pursue it very far. Pretty soon he stopped responding to my emails altogether. In the end, it cost me about $200 to replace the damaged item.

My story has NOTHING to do with Harry Siebert, but I am definitely more wary of working with one-man operations. They can provide excellent services that are available nowhere else... but you also might have fewer assurances and less recourse if something goes sideways.

That is why you need to buy insurance when return shipping, since you are responsible for damages after receipt. Seller is responsible for insuring delivery to buyer.

#19 tonylumps

tonylumps

Sputnik

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:41 PM

Well my order arrived yesterday. Tried it out last night It worked as he said it would. No complaints about that. After struggling with the AR 152 all night I decided to put it up for sale. Go figure.Thanks all for responding. Tony

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics