Photo

Berlebach Planet, Uni, Geoptik Hercules, or...?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Titusville, Florida

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:37 PM

A couple of things about wood tripods, If they are varnished? you must do a lot to touch up sanding to prep them ( and maybe take off the hardware) and good varnish coats and between sanding takes a few days. Metal legs on a Losmandy HD probably will not show bangs and scrapes nearly as much.
Also, to me the only reason for wood is if you are going to store it set up in the house and want the look of wood, and don't most wood tripods have sharp pointed spikes on the legs? what does that do for the floor?
One more point, I have read of a number of wood tripods drying out in the house and slipping a leg, if that happens, good by scope.
All good reasons for a sturdy metal tripod IMO.
P.S. My Takahashi wood tripod was the worst of both worlds, not adjustable, easy to nick and damage ( and it showed the smallest ding) and the tripod shelf, was held on by snap in ball ends, on day I bumped the tripod, one corner of the tripod shelf popped loose and the whole scope and mount all 85 lbs came down on the floor, lucky for me I caught it (fell under it actually- and that hurt!) but that was the last time I used that tripod, $700 down the drain.
Rex

#27 Agatha

Agatha

Apollo

• Loc: Coulee Region, Wisconsin

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:44 PM

I also vote Planet.

Don't worry about the dings. Touching up a scratch or ding is no problem on the wood...just as you said. I think is is way more difficult to touch up a scratch (down to the silver, screaming at you, aluminum) on something that is black anodized. Maybe it's just me. :shrug:

The wood is just so beautiful on the Planet.

Have fun in your decision.

Best,

#28 Agatha

Agatha

Apollo

• Loc: Coulee Region, Wisconsin

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:52 PM

I do understand Tom's concerns. Wood can really be tricky to refinish to a new look. But so is aluminum.

As for the pointy feet...order the optional plastic feet to protect floors etc. You will then have your choice of pointy or not pointy. As long as you order the optional feet, you will have both sets. And they are easy to exchange.

It's a hard decision. And I'm sure either choice would be appropriate. :)

Best

#29 M13 Observer

M13 Observer

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:51 PM

If it were me;

third choice: AP portable pier, light, stronger than it looks but not height adjustable or able to be leveled easily. (easier to move it to a flat location rather than play with the turn buckles). Also, talk about ugly, the flat crinkle paint AP uses is IMO just bad to look at!

Rex

The tubes are standard irrigation pipe cut to length and as such are not finished and have small dings, pits, lines, etc. There are a couple of very close fitting machined collars inside to give them strength and rigidity. The crinkle finish covers that all up. If you have a better idea . . .

#30 mgwhittle

mgwhittle

Apollo

• Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:01 PM

Get the light or natural finish on the Planet......you will never notice minor dings.

#31 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Titusville, Florida

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:21 PM

If it were me;

third choice: AP portable pier, light, stronger than it looks but not height adjustable or able to be leveled easily. (easier to move it to a flat location rather than play with the turn buckles). Also, talk about ugly, the flat crinkle paint AP uses is IMO just bad to look at!

Rex

The tubes are standard irrigation pipe cut to length and as such are not finished and have small dings, pits, lines, etc. There are a couple of very close fitting machined collars inside to give them strength and rigidity. The crinkle finish covers that all up. If you have a better idea . . .

Yes, a better idea would be to use a better grade metal tubing and put a better finish on it. For $800 -$1300 it sure does not look like AP quality .
Also, The crinkle paint attracts dirt in the finish and is very hard to clean and make it look like new after its been used in a dusty area.
Rex

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics