Juggling Globes

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Ed Fortier

Ed Fortier

Mariner 2

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:10 PM

As you can probably tell from my previous posts, I've got a thing for astronomical globes, especially "antique" globes. Not being able to leave well enough alone, I've done some rearranging. Instead of paring my original "antique" Venus, Moon, and Mars globes with their modern counterparts, I've separated the "old" from modern and written descriptive tags to go with the reproductions.

Attached Files

#2 Ed Fortier

Ed Fortier

Mariner 2

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:17 PM

Next, I have used the 1905 Lowell Mars globe as the centerpiece for a shelf dedicated to Percival Lowell. For reasons I can't fully explain, I have never lost my fascination with Lowell and his fantastic theories.

Attached Files

#3 Ed Fortier

Ed Fortier

Mariner 2

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:25 PM

Finally, I have displayed the Louis Niesten reproduction Mars globe with his photo and an explanatory tag. At least now if anything happens to me, these globes won't be a big mystery to my relatives.

(There's also a picture of Tobias Mayer behind the Moon globe, but you can't see much of it in the photo.)

Attached Files

#4 Geo557

Geo557

Astro-Scout

• Moderators
  • Loc: SE GA

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:12 PM

Thanks for sharing, Ed. Great collection!

#5 kkokkolis

kkokkolis

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Piraeus, Greece

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:20 AM

Lovely.

#6 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:00 PM

Ed, that's truly a most beautiful collection! I love the way you have displayed them, and appreciate you sharing them with us!

#7 Moondoggy

Moondoggy

Mariner 2

• Loc: Beyond the Ort Cloud and Second Star to the Right

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:56 AM

I like that alot ED. How can I start my own collection ?
Bill

#8 Ed Fortier

Ed Fortier

Mariner 2

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:17 AM

Thanks for looking everyone, and thanks too for the kind words. I guess if you put together something you think is pretty nice, and the only person who sees it other than you is your wife, you do begin to wonder what, exactly, is the point? Especially if your wife's chief observation is that you should dust more often.

As far as starting your own collection, Bill, I'd say that depends on a lot of things. If you want modern globes, they are easy to acquire -- Stellanova, Mova, and Trippensee planetariums are all available online. Moon globes are everywhere on eBay.

If instead, or in addition, you want to assemble original "antique" globes, that requires finding local artists willing an able to do the work and supplying them with maps from which to work with. Not so easy and very time consuming.

And if you want reproduction Mars globes like the 1905 Lowell and 1877 Niesten globes, that is a matter of pure luck. I've searched for antique Mars globes on eBay for probably 15 years, and these two popped up only within the last year.

So, it's taken a long time and a lot of luck getting to where I am now. But don't let that keep you from starting your own collection. The enjoyment is in the hunt as much as anything. That's why we collect.

#9 Ed Fortier

Ed Fortier

Mariner 2

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:57 AM

Another way to add some interesting modern globes to your collection is to make your own. I made the Ganeymede globe (in the top photo above) from gores printed off the web site below. I used bumper sticker paper, which made it easy to attach the gores to a ball of the proper size.

http://astrogeology....s?p=1#downloads

#10 Moondoggy

Moondoggy

Mariner 2

• Loc: Beyond the Ort Cloud and Second Star to the Right

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:52 AM

Thankyou Ed for your help and insight on getting started. I have never heard of "Bumper Sticker Paper". Beside working with the public at Star Parties with my clubs outreach, I also am getting started with my new the NSS or National Space Society. We work with education of getting young people intersted in future in learning Math ,Engineering, sciences and so on. People like visual Aids. And beside, I think it's cool having my own home collection at home. And last I like history ,when the topics are about past Astronomers and New findings of our orbiting probes. I do have a S&T Moon globe I bought a few years ago. But I wish I could buy the other globes,but I am on a fixed income. So I will wait on the newer Venus and Mars globes. I will keep and eye out on the nice historical Globes of the past. Maybe I will become lucky like you. Be Wel and Thanks!
Bill

#11 Ed Fortier

Ed Fortier

Mariner 2

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:48 PM

Good luck with your outreach programs, Bill. As a retired teacher, I respect anyone who volunteers his time and talents in this direction. And, of course, I now also know about life on a fixed income!

#12 Ed Fortier

Ed Fortier

Mariner 2

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:23 PM

I was inspired my my own post above and tried my hand (again) at making these Galilean moon globes. It took some experimenting and care, and the results are far from perfect, but all in all it was worth doing. I still need to apply a clear gloss protective coat to each of them.

Attached Files

#13 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:50 PM

Wow, those turned out very nice! What do you use for the "globe"?

#14 Ed Fortier

Ed Fortier

Mariner 2

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:37 PM

I had a couple of Vaugondy world globes that I bought on eBay some years ago but were not nice enough to display. They turned out to be perfect for the two larger moons as they were exactly 15" in circumference. That meant I could print the two hemispheres of Ganymede and Callisto at 7.5" -- about as large as possible on 8.5X11 printer paper. A helpful plus is that the longitudinal lines on the globe perfectly match those on the printouts. That turned out to be very important when trying to get everything lined up using VERY STICKY sticky-backed vinyl inkjet print paper.

The two smaller globes were made with two moon globes I also had on hand (and had no further use for). Happily, the lines on the globe and the printouts also matched up perfectly.

The easy part is getting together everything you need -- the globes, the sticky vinyl paper (found online), and the maps printed out in the correct size. The hard part is getting the petal maps onto the globes. They are more likely to stick to each other or to you unless you use extreme care.

I hope you give it a try, Carol. Believe me, if I can make it work, anyone can. And I bet most people could do a better job.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics