C8 question

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#51 terraclarke

terraclarke

Aurora

• Loc: The Bluegrass State

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:45 AM

Looks like I'm getting an older Celestron Wedgepod for my C8. I'll use it on that for a while before I decide if I truly want or need to de-fork it and mount it on the Meade #826 GEM. The wedgepod looks like a nice stable and portable solution as I am only interested in visual observing with it.

#52 A6Q6

A6Q6

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Stroudsburg,Pa,U.S.A

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:50 AM

Hi Terra, I hope you get a good C8, they seem to be hit and miss, I never realized how good a SC could be because the ones I looked through had soft images. Then I Picked up an orange tube C5 at a pawn shop for only $100.00 last winter and it wasn't until this summer that I saw that the optics were fantastic. I have had a Quantum Six for over 30 years so I know what good optics can do. Anyway, you will really be impressed if you get a good one. Good Luck

Attached Files

#53 rdandrea

rdandrea

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:24 PM

Looks like I'm getting an older Celestron Wedgepod for my C8. I'll use it on that for a while before I decide if I truly want or need to de-fork it and mount it on the Meade #826 GEM. The wedgepod looks like a nice stable and portable solution as I am only interested in visual observing with it.

Good move. Using the fork on a wedge has some real advantages.

#54 5RNS

5RNS

Lift Off

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:02 PM

I saw your number there and I'm sure I may need it eventually.Thank you. I just ordered my cord about an hour ago. Now the waiting game begins.

Another accy you need to look into is a Celestron F6.3 Focal reducer and field Flattener.
It does 3 important things, reduces the magnification so finding Deep Space objects is easier thats one.
I dramatically reduces the field curve in the F10 SCT, thats 2
Also seals the tube from dust.3
Oh yes it drastically reduces exposure time for Prime focus Astro photography!
Try and find the original Made in Japan version. I like them better, don't know if the coatings are better, or if they are better optically. I could see a slight difference in sharpness between the 2 I had. I kept the MIJ and sold the other one..

I will add it to the list. After giving myself a quick education on what it does it looks like a must have.

#55 tclehman1969

tclehman1969

Ranger 4

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:07 PM

The old C8 is an awesome scope! You've done good in selecting that. It's a good mix of aperture and size for portability sake.

As for AP, it is a fine scope for that as well. I have a C8 from mid 80's that is a great workhorse. I have since deforked it, but in its early days, I was getting 5 - 8 minute exposures with no drive corrector and piggyback photography. Now, admittedly, that was on the Byers drive which was pretty dog-gone good, I think most old C8ers will agree. And for AP, there is a great YouTube video that goes into astro photography without a driven scope at all. Instead just a series of very short images on a DSLR stacked in a computer.

If you defork the scope, I learned a little trick to defork. When deforking loosen the two bolts where the fork attaches to the drive base on one of the forks. That way, when removing the screws from the tube end of the forks, you can wiggle the lose fork arm out of the way and not scratch the tube.

Anyway, great system and really you are set for a long time of enjoyment without getting carried away with equipment...don't get GAS: Gear Acquisition Syndrome. There is no question there is some great equipment available out there for astro photography, and many take some amazing images with it, but you don't have to break the bank to get some absolutely great images. Today, I have the same C8 deforked on a Atlas EQ-G and I'm still doing piggyback photography. I use a DSLR and use a 50 mm, 17-50mm, 50-150mm and a 80mm refractor. And this is great for a lot of deep space objects. When I image I like to put these objects in context with a bit of the area around them, so wide field work is great. Realistically, for me, anyway, there will be times when I image DSOs through the scope, but that will be rare.

#56 5RNS

5RNS

Lift Off

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:10 PM

Update......
I received my new power cord yesterday. Today i assembled the scope and mount,plugged it in and...........IT WORKS! At first I expected to hear something and didn't. So I zeroed the RA wheel and now I see she's purring right along.

While going through my gear I found my receipt from when I traded my 4.5 reflector in on it. 1993! Twenty years later it's like I have a new scope all over again.

And in keeping with new scope tradition, monsoon weather here.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics