Another Nova Del 2013

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Fuzzyguy

Fuzzyguy

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado/Kansas

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:35 PM

I don't have a lot of experience sketching at the eye piece, but I think this pretty well represents what I saw while looking at Nova Del 2013 the morning of 08/19/2013. I wouldn't have posted this, but all the other sketches are much wider views, so I though maybe some of you would enjoy a closer look. This is just over a .5* FoV at 127X in an 8" SCT. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Attached Files

#2 PeterDob

PeterDob

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Castelnovo ne' Monti, Italy

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:30 PM

Very nice, Larry!

Peter

#3 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:53 PM

Larry,

Very good sketch of Nova Del :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#4 Fuzzyguy

Fuzzyguy

Viking 1

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

Thanks Peter and Tom! With all the great sketches on this forum, I was a little nervous about posting something so simple as this. I'm just starting to sketch and everything up until this one were so bad, I won't show them to anyone. :lol:

#5 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:51 PM

but I think this pretty well represents what I saw while looking at Nova Del 2013

Not every sketch must be very spectacular... this is a fine sketch that must be shown on a forum like this! Just one question: on my computerscreen I see a deeper black around almost every star?

#6 Fuzzyguy

Fuzzyguy

Viking 1

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:47 PM

Hi Jef,

Thanks for your comments and review. :)

My original sketch is pretty rough with stars crossed out and moved as I progressed. I'm not very good yet and need to erase a lot and adjust star positions etc. Working like that makes for a pretty messy original. I made notes right on the sketch to indicate which stars were brighter and dimmer because I knew I would use Photoshop later and could clone them out for the final version. I'm not sure how or if there is a universally accepted way to render my sketches, so I just photographed the page, opened it in Photoshop, converted it to gray scale and inverted it. Then I made the stars more round with a brush, removed my notes and mistakes with the "clone tool" and used the "burn" tool to darken the stars until the image looked like what I saw in the EP according to my notes. I finished by adding the title and text. On my screen, the background is dark enough the it doesn't show any "dark halo" unless I lighten the image. I maybe should have made all the adjustments to the original positive image then inverted as the last step. Live and learn, right?

In order to show the image more accurately, I still need to lighten the FoV to a dark to medium gray to simulate the light pollution from the full moon and haze, but I'll need to do more research to figure out how best to do this.

I'll look around for some tutorials, but if you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

#7 AstroTatDad

AstroTatDad

Apollo

• Loc: Los Angeles - San Diego

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:36 PM

Larry it looks great, I also did a somewhat closeup sketch as well. Nova Del was my first sketch, I did the same as you.. putting lines through the bad stars hehe. My sketch was a mess and I just cleaned it up in PS. It was a lot of fun and can't wait to do more.

#8 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:50 AM

Larry,

This looks great.

Frank :)

#9 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:56 AM

Larry,

That's a good observational sketch and you'll get better at processing with practice. For an object like this nova, you might want to try composing the ep view (if possible) by including a nearby star with the magnitude noted for comparison purposes.

Keep sketching! :)

#10 Fuzzyguy

Fuzzyguy

Viking 1

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:59 PM

Thanks guys! I wish I had your skies Jeff. When I found out about it, we were clouded over. It's a good thing I learned about it before I actually found it. If I'd been in this region star hopping to something and had come across this star, it would have really confused me. Up to now, any time my EP view didn't match the charts, I knew I'd made a mistake and was in the wrong place. I don't think in my confusion and frustration, it would have dawned on me that I'd found a "new star" or Nova. :lol: I don't have that much confidence in my abilities yet!

Michael, I thought about labeling the 8th mag star to the NNW of the Nova, but I didn't want to imply that the difference in brightness was accurate. I'll keep that in mind in the future though. Thanks for the tip!

I looked last night in my 15X70s and compared it to 29 Vul and it was noticeably dimmer. The night before, I couldn't tell if one was dimmer than the other. I hope it stays bright for a while longer though!

#11 Fuzzyguy

Fuzzyguy

Viking 1

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:41 PM

Thanks for the replies and suggestions to everyone. After reading some of Jeremy Perez's tips on his website and looking at the book "Astronomical Sketching", I've redone the rendering of my original sketch. It still isn't perfect as the dimmer stars are a little brighter than they looked in the EP. The moon was almost full and I noticed in the scope the sky glow had a definite blue cast to it so I added just a little. The Nova had a definite yellow appearance so I added just a little. Both colors are very subtle, so I don't know if everyone's monitors will pick it up, but it looks about right to me. The sky glow was a little lighter at the scope, but the stars looked really bad when I made it that light. Am I being too picky?

I labeled the 8th magnitude star as Michael encouraged me to do. I'll try to remember that in the future. I do like the look of just "naked" stars or objects in the FoV, so I may go back to no labels or put the label outside the FoV.

As always, let me know what you think and any tips or tricks will be very helpful!

Thanks!

Attached Files

#12 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:34 PM

Even better.

Frank :)

#13 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:02 AM

Larry,

Even better the second time around :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#14 Aquarellia

Aquarellia

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Provence, France

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:40 PM

Very realistic, the color give another dimension.
Well done

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics