Photo

Anyone familiar with this EQ Dob platform?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mjw

mjw

Lift Off

• Loc: Moscow, PA

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:53 PM

I'm looking for a lower cost EQ platform for my 14" dob. The ones from equatorialplatforms.com at $1175 are out of my budget.

Is anyone familiar with this one from NorthStar Systems for $365(including shipping)? http://supernorthstars.tripod.com/

I know there are some kits out there, but I'm not the best "builder". I'd prefer a completed unit.

I saw another from OpticalEds for $450, but then shipping adds another $160.

If you know of others, please let me know.
Thanks.

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:53 PM

You never know...but the website and pictures don't inspire confidence given you have a fairly sizeable scope. This may be the kitty's meow, but one thing I've learned over the years is that when it comes to dob platforms you really, really get what you pay for.

If a goodun is out of your budget right now, my advice is "wait" or consider why you'd want one anyway. One isn't that effective for imaging, though you can do good video with one. Visually? I don't think one adds much to a well-designed Dobbie. ;)

#3 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:13 PM

You never know...but the website and pictures don't inspire confidence given you have a fairly sizeable scope.

It does look pretty basic. The drive is just a variable speed Astroview/CG-2 drive, the front bearing looks like it came from an inexpensive piece of furniture. I wouldn't be spending $400 on it.

Jon

#4 astrophile

astrophile

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Chaise-lounge, 18x50s in hand...

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:12 PM

If you have the luxury to be patient, wait for a used one of right size & latitude range to come up on Astromart (or put out a Wanted ad). Used platforms--even top-quality ones in excellent condition--seem to sell for a much greater discount from new than most other astro gear. But you may have to wait a while for the right one to come along.

I actually find a platform very desirable for visual dob observing, enough that I removed the ground board from my 10" truss to use it exclusively with the platform. Particularly nice for planetary work, and public outreach.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics